1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rocket Trade Ideas 2018-19

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jul 7, 2018.

1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Here is my hillarious idea that kinda makes sense but not good sense .

We do a 3 way trade with Cleveland (or some other team ) for a guy on a similar contract to Clint's but that Philly actually wants . Philly has Embiid , clint is the ultimate luxury for them and one they can't afford .

You hope they would rather accept a player vs losing butler for nothing .

So my idea is we sent Clint and nene (retires) * to Cleveland for love who is the flipped to philly for butler .

In this scenario Cleveland gets out of loves long contract . Philly takes it because love is a prototypical stretch 4 to play next to embiid and Simmons . Think of the the size haha . They can choose what to do with Harris as well . Alternately , they think Love sucks and the trade falls apart .

This is the crux of the trade . We have to find a player in that 17-24 million dollar range that philly can take back. It can be someone that is on a short or long contract depending on how well they fit in philly . Also philly has to believe that this is the alternative to losing butler and getting nothing .

I mentioned love because despite the **** awful , unmotivated year he had last season ... he still put up 17 and 11 and shot 36 from 3 . There's probably reason to believe he can still play . Especially if he's more of a role player than a superstar . Actually now that I think about @cyberx post about love being on the list . Maybe that's our smokescreen for this butler deal hahaha . Or maybe WE want love .

But anyway in any scenario where you can find a player philly will take that's a huge coup because you are adding butler while keeping Gordon and PJ. You are definitely willing to throw in firsts for this kind of move. Unprotected firsts.... probably .

The next step. Filling Clint's center spot . Convince now buddies and *it was all Blake's fault crew* Deandre Jordan and Austin rivers to sign for Vet Min and M.LE.

We recreate lob city..... Tillman can make it a whole arena event .

As for the rest of the roster , bring back house on minimum if he accepts .... but if he goes and gets a better offer oh well . Bank on some improvement from Hartenstein and Clark , they played well at times earlier in the season . No reason they can't get better and more consistent .

Maybe take another vet min center flyer . Farried if he wants to be relegated to competing with hartenstein for backup mins . Which honestly I'd rather just give to Hartenstein , I like trying to develop players .

Then another guard or long 3-D guy for vet min . Basically whatever you can get at that point for roster depth , or leave it open for flexibility . Pipe dream is Ariza .

Let's see the league handle this ****

CP3 , rivers
    Harden , Gordon
    Butler, Ariza
    Pj , Clark
    Deandre , hartenstein

+ maybe House or some other vet min type pickup .

That **** would be so entertaining .

I think Ariza has 15-20 mpg left in the tank. Also , he doesn't need to be as fast right now. He can put on a little size , we just need his length on the boards and willingness to shoot . The question is did he take this year off or did he just start to breakdown due to heavy mileage ?

But anyways this is highly unlikely but I think the overall vehicle of Clint and nene plus picks to a third party who gives up a decent piece for Butler is the best move and probably the strategy Morey is pursuing right now .

Capela's value will really come into to question unless the team is getting off of an even worse contract . Which means the player going to philly will have to be at least somewhat questionable since the team is willing to trade for Clint and picks .

I'd welcome some discussion on this if y'all wanna chime in

2. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y3jy79v3

I know that Butler is s long shot. How about this as an alternative. Tilman says he wants tough guys gritty guys. None of these additions are “soft”.

If you can pull off signing both DJ and J Green with the MLE and a veteran minimum or whatever, I wouldn’t mind seeing this combo. I’m assuming that Rivers is leaving. I have no idea on what the plans are for Shumpert.

CP/Smart
    Harden/Gordon/GG
    Brown/House/Shump?
    PJ/J Green/Clark
    DJ/Baynes

This would give MDA more flexibility with his his small ball line ups. J Green can play some small ball 5, and we wouldn’t lose as much rebounding. This could also help decrease PJ’s minutes. He is getting older and I want him fresh for the playoffs.This also would improve our rebounding, toughness and defense. EG would supercharge our bench production.

We get a young, tough, super athletic wing who can defend and create his own offense in Brown. He may not be Butler right now, but he may have more long term upside if he keeps developing.

Smart provides toughness and grit. He just seems to make winning plays. He hustles his tail off but is rarely out of control. He’s like a smaller version of PJ.

Baynes is a big tough back up 5 who can step out and hit a few 3’s. Rebound and bang with the larger centers that give us trouble.

Ainge may want a pick. Time to start putting those “assets” to use.

3. Vivi

Vivi Member

@snowconeman22 the problems i see with your idea are two:

1. Sixers will probably resign Harris no matter what, and he's a 4 in today's game so, i just don't see a place for Love there...unless they lose Harris, but that's not going to work in terms of timing for us, cause Butler would've to opt in and a trade with us would've to be completed before Harris is resigned or not by the Sixers.

2. while i can see one player take some sort of discount to play here, i just don't see multiple guys taking way less than their market value to stay or come here, let's say that i think those guys are going to get this kind of money in their next season (might be a one year or multi year deal):

- DeAndre 8/12M
    - Ariza 8/12M
    - Rivers 6/8M

DeAndre might settle for the tax MLE for one season (6M), same for Ariza and Rivers, but i really don't see two of them playing for the minimum, i'm pretty sure all of them will get way more money this summer.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  4. Vivi

Vivi Member

@BaselineFade just my two cents here, but if Irving stays, the young players like Brown and Smart might be used to land a star, Davis, Beal or someone else. If Irving bolts i don't see Ainge move the young guys, maybe Smart, but definitely not Brown, if he opts for some sort of rebuild around Tatum and Brown, i think he'll eventually try to move Horford and Hayward, resign Rozier maybe...

saleem and BaselineFade like this.
  5. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

I'm desperate man. I honestly don't see many good options for upgrading the team outside of minimum signings. But i can fantasize. Boston lost in an ugly way this year. I hoping Ainge over reacts and slips up lol.

6. Vivi

Vivi Member

Eh i feel you don't get me wrong, my preferred target is Butler and he's the only star i think we have some chance to land, if we can't get him i think the idea of going after some young player/s is the right way to go also cause that would instantly make use more dynamic/athletic, which is something i would really like tbh.

A player i'd keep an eye on is Siakam, not a star obviously, but he developed into a very good player, plays on both sides and does pretty much everything. I wonder if he becomes available in a scenario where Kawhi bolts...maybe not, but he's "already" 25 and not exactly a player you build around, a full rebuild would take at least 2/3 for the Raptors, by that time Siakam would be 27/28, maybe with a solid offer there's a chance to get him, i think he would help us, giving us more athleticism, rebounding, lenght, he can shoot...

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Zero chance that Toronto would deal Siakam to us for anything we have to offer, unless they're receiving Harden.

8. Vivi

Vivi Member

I mean, i don't know what we could get by moving Capela to a third team, or giving up multiple picks, but it's not like we're talking about a star or a player with star potential, i'd say it would be still more likely that we can get a guy like Siakam than a guy like Beal for example.

9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

None of this will happen, but here's a shot at a complete transformation, lol.

Rockets trade: EG, Tucker, Nene, 2 first round picks
    Rockets receive: Bradley Beal
    **Why Washington does it?? They don't, but maybe they're still dumb and you convince them they are filling lots of holes in a lineup that gets John Wall back and they can try and make the playoffs again.

Rockets trade: CP3, 2 first round picks
    Rockets receive: Kemba Walker resigned and traded
    **Why Charlotte does it?? They don't, but maybe Kemba threatens to leave, this way they get a PG back that can continue to push them towards barely missing the playoffs and CP3 is from NC so maybe the fans are on board.

Rockets trade: Harden
    Rockets receive: AD, 2 second round picks
    **Why NOP does it?? I'm not even sure they do, as I think they are committed to a rebuild through the draft, but if they think Zion can contribute soon, Jrue+Harden+Zion+Randle (resigned).... Harden can take that to a 4 seed....
    Rockets new roster

Kemba/Rivers
    Beal
    xxxxx/House
    AD
    Capela

Still holes to fill across the board, but Kemba/Beal/AD is a sneaky legit combo...

10. marky :)

marky :) Member

Since its the off-season might as well throw in my crazy idea: Picture this:

CP3 for Blake Griffin.

Reason: Blake Griffin plays basketball and so does Harden. Perfect fit.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  11. Fantasma Negro

#1551 Fantasma Negro, May 20, 2019
    Last edited: May 20, 2019
    Vivi, BaselineFade and snowconeman22 like this.
  12. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I dunno if Franks stock is so low they will trade him for cap space only .

If it is .... and we aren't using nene as part of a bigger trade I'm all for it .

Ideally , you wanna hold onto nene a bit longer tho as when you combine his salary with Clints or it's enough to bring back butler. You can also combine it with EG's and bring back a highly paid guy

13. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Frank Ntilikina better be on the top of Morey's list. Probably a cheap acquisition, on a rookie deal for another two years and we have the Point God who can mentor him.

Yes his shooting numbers are abysmal but he was playing pretty well before his groin injury.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  14. Fantasma Negro

He can shoot it, the Knicks run an old school offense but Frank in MDA's system can become a very solid shooter

BigggReddd and Rudyc281 like this.
  15. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

He’s also a very good defender as well

Fantasma Negro and BigggReddd like this.
  16. Falcao

Falcao Rookie

One Trade to Rule All Trades:

Whatever it takes to get Nikola Jokic.

The player Paul Pierce called the best player during the playoffs (yes, even over Giannis and Durant before his injury)

17. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y66vdk5o

Phoenix has a log jam at the SF spot. This trade gives them a stretch 4, and helps to balance their roster. Nene can mentor Ayton. He would also help give them a veteran presence in the locker room. Jackson is in trouble with the law again. Oubre has made Warren obsolete.

Sacramento gets Capela to pair up with Bagley. They could be scary together. They gamble that Jackson matures, and ultimately realizes his talent.

Minny gets Warren and Giles and we would have to give them at least 1 first round pick. I would hope that pick would be enough to entice them. Warren and Giles are a decent haul for Covington.

Houston really missed having a long wing defender. Looking at the affordable SF market, I think Covington gives us the most value, and gives us a legit 3.We need a lock down defender at the wing, and after Kawhi he may be the best in the league.

If I’m giving Capela to Sac I want Bogdanovich back. 6’6 with a 6’11 wingspan. He can back up the 1,2, or 3. He can shoot, rebound and create. I think he would compliment our roster perfectly.

I threw in Holmes to add depth to our front court. Capela would be a big loss, we might as well start stocking up on minimum contract big men. Maybe Holmes could be Capela light?

No superstars here but we solve our problem at the 3, and get a well above average versatile bench piece in Bogdanovich.

Holmes is long athletic icing on the deal.

I really hope that Morey can get JGreen with MLE. Then find a starting quality center who wants to play in this system for cheap with hopes of a larger payday in the future a la Capela.

CP/Bogdanovich
    Harden/ Gordon
    Covington/ House
    PJ/ JGreen
    ?/ Holmes

18. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I’ll keep saying it: Jaylen Brown

Boston is in a similar pickle as OKC was 8 years ago.

19. Vivi

Vivi Member

Love the idea, apparently they were shopping him during the season...not sure what's the price though, still think other teams would offer more than us anyway.

20. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

How can we make it happen? What would Boston accept? I love his potential.

raining threes likes this.