1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Odds Yordan Alvarez gets called up in June?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by CinematicFusion, May 16, 2019.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

For teams that aren't stacked, it is probably a good idea for them to test rookies longer than 2-3 months, For Astros, it is difficult the past couple of years as there just isn't room on 25-man for OTJ training.

2. Major

Major Member

This year is a good exception to that because we have so much lineup depth. You could stick Tucker or Alvarez in for the next 4 months as the #9 hitter and if they fail, so be it.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

There's always going to be an adjustment period, whether you break it up in multiple stints/call-ups, or you get it all done at once.

4. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I agree, but that would likely start at the beginning of the new deal and not affect those players in the minors currently under the system we have in place now

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I was only trying to say if it isn't going well after 2-3 months, a team like the Astros can't always wait it out as some guys take longer and some guys bust.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And I was trying to say that despite teams that have a short leash... guys figure it out eventually, even if its over multiple stints vs one continuous one.

But as Major said above... if any team can afford to give young players a longer leash, it would be this year's Astros. They're not going to lose this division... and need to find out if they have potential playoff weapons down in the minors.

In many ways, its just like the experimental years of 2011-2014... except in reverse. They can afford to see what sticks and what doesn't. Staying fresh/sharp for the whole season, and then playoffs, is Hinch's biggest challenge.

7. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Crazy thing is Cody Bellinger is basically doing what Alvarez is doing but he's not hitting AAA pitchers in AAA ballparks...he's doing it in the MLB right now.

8. Buck Turgidson

Crazy hindsighting: after the Stros took 1B Conrad Gregor, the Dodgers took that guy ~20 picks later.

everyday eddie and Snake Diggit like this.
  9. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Can’t even imagine this lineup with Bellinger instead of Yuli...

10. Buck Turgidson

Only took 700K to sign him too.

Oops.

11. HTown2017Champs

Would have been REALLY nice, on many counts. Also, out of curiosity, do you think he plays more 1B or OF if he were an Astro. And if OF, which one? Just curious. I do think Houston would like his versatility (especially considering he's a LH thrower).

12. Buck Turgidson

LH wouldn't matter at 1B, it does matter a bit in the OF, but he was a total beanpole as a youngster, maybe skinnier than Tucker, and there was worry that he wouldn't ever fill out enough to be strong enough for his skills to translate.

Oops. Scouting HS baseball players, hell college ones too, is an inexact science to say the least.

No Worries likes this.
  13. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Said before today's game.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  15. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

If we're talking about replacing Springer there are very legitimate reasons why Alvarez shouldn't be the guy.

As is we only have 2 guys we can safely put in CF and RF regularly . I fully expect Straw or Tucker called up before him.

That's not to say he shouldn't be up, but he should be replacing Kemp or White.

No Worries likes this.
  16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Astros normally had Springer and one other CF last year. Astros have Marisnick and Kemp still and Marisnick and Reddick for RF. Only reason not to bring up Alvarez is Astros think he's not ready, Tucker is more ready, or they want be extra cautious with Super 2.

#136 Joe Joe, May 25, 2019
    Last edited: May 25, 2019
  17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I will be surprised if it’s not Fisher that replaces Springer. Fisher is a better defensive fit than Tucker and Alvarez, and he’s hitting well enough in AAA to justify promoting over them.

No Worries likes this.
  18. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Good Call.

19. AstrosRockets1818

Lol I read on Twitter that the Astros are waiting for Alvarez to improve his defense.
    Hahahahaha
    Super two deadline approaching. I suspect Álvarez will be called up then.

everyday eddie likes this.
  20. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

I wonder if Super 2 is keeping Straw down too? Or is Fisher considered the better fit?