1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What can harden work on this offseason?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatboyPhuong, May 13, 2019.

1. amaru

amaru Member

D'Antoni's strengths started to become weaknesses. Role players don't even seem to know what shots are green lit for them (outside of Tucker).

snowconeman22 likes this.
  2. YOLO

YOLO Member

they don't? could of fooled me on that one based on whats seen on the floor

3. amaru

amaru Member

Hell I'd rather have Melo than D'Antoni......and that even after Melo's flameout.

4. amaru

amaru Member

You must not have seen Green's shot selection.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

oh no wonder. that's pretty much kills any sort of credible discussion here on your part. moving on

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

oh you mean the shot selections that he's most comfortable with. you want mda to put him in a box that makes him think where he struggles. got it. see this is the kind of stuff i read on here and people want to act like their own opinion is the correct coaching philosophy. newsflash it isn't

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He knows exactly what to do.

treyk3 likes this.
  8. amaru

amaru Member

I thought you were moving on.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

it was a different post. but yeah melo over mda did it. good job. i hope you get a chance to run a team one day

10. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

Here are just a few morsels of constructive observations...
    1. Staying engaged in the play when he does not have the ball in his hand.
    2. Coming off picks and shooting like the splash brothers do
    3. Not turning the ball over when the game is on the line
    4. Stop and pop (i.e. shooting the 10-12 jump shot effectively
    5. Stop cheating off of his man trying to get the steal when playing defense
    6. Learning to use his right hand for shooting

mastan and snowconeman22 like this.
  11. amaru

amaru Member

Can't do much worse than Mike. I'd actually play the athletic PF that runs fast and jumps high when we are getting killed on the boards lol

mastan likes this.
  12. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

Realistically: going right, post game, off ball movement (he used to be better at this).

Unrealistically: you know how sometimes when the defender played Harden tight at the three point line, he'd get around him and take a jumper at the corner of the the paint? He doesn't do this as much anymore (you know, long 2s and all), but I was thinking maybe if he could get his stepback game working farther back, like 5-10 feet behind three point line, he could do the same action except when he pulled up for that mid range shot he'd still actually be behind the three point line. I know this sounds nuts but it honestly sounds like the kinda thing he'd experiment with. 3 points and spacing is good right? How about even MORE spacing, and jacking up MORE 3's. Oh and how about work on the floater game to extend it to three point range? lol

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Pushing the pace
    Off ball movement
    Getting over picks
    Conditioning

14. jasonmurray29

jasonmurray29 Member

He just needs help. I suspect the New York Knicks will provide some by taking KD. We honestly need another option like Jimmy Butler on the wing. Unless we get someone we won’t win a championship. Harden is a true pro in my opinion but he is only one guy.

15. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

these are legit

I think 2 and 4 come as he gets more in game reps for those type of plays.... and they are encouraged by the coach.

He could stand to get better with his right hand ( which is scary)

3 is just kind of a dick statement

5 might be scheme related

1 is for sure the ultimate .... but its also the ultimate athletic achievement to unlock that kind of focus. I think he's gotten better every year.

At some point you know he will stop improving ( father time) but his progression has been fantastic

16. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Heart surgery

17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Right... well I'm fine if there's a better option.

Seems like its very hard to find those, even if it shouldn't be. Dwayne Casey got fired the year he won COTY. Brett Brown is on the hot seat. Brad Stevens isn't quite so amazing anymore. Terry Stotts now has years of runway again. Etc.

18. N2bnfunn

N2bnfunn Member

This question is easy: GOING TO SEE THE WIZARD AND GET A HEART

19. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I like Aaron Gordon but the Magic got Mo bamba I’d have to think he’s their center of the future they drafted him in the top 5.

I know Vegas has the Rockets as the 2nd best odds to get jimmy butler behind Philadelphia.

It seems like that’s the move that is going to happen if we out to land a true Allstar player to pair with harden and cp3.

But I want to see harden catch the ball from 18 ft like kd does and just jab step and shoot a jumper. He can get that shot off all game like kd and prob hit it around the same clip.

No reason to not use that part of the court and just get automatic buckets when it gets stagnent.

lilbird20 likes this.
  20. Denovo

Denovo Member

Playing at a faster pace, Attacking in transition, Offball movement, Mid Range and Post Game.
    If we are going to continue a heavy usage, iso style of Offense then Harden has to be able to score in a larger variety of ways.