1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How are we going to defend the Warriors?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, Apr 27, 2019.

1. basketballholic

Describe the switches. What matchups are the Warriors going to hunt? When are we going to switch Capela? When are we not going to switch Capela?

2. BeBreezy

BeBreezy Member

I think the real question is- how are the Warriors going to defend us?

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Again, is this a prediction thread, or a "How would *you* defend GSW, if you were Bzdelik."

my prediction of what Bzdelik will do in Game 1 is: "Same as last year." So, if you're hoping Capela doesn't get switched onto Curry, you'll lose that prediction for Game 1.​

The overall plan is to flatten their motion with heavy switching, and limit their transition by leaking out offensive rebounders, and we will live with Durant in mid-range ISO. They will turn the ball over more than us, if we stick to the plan of heavy switching and ball-control offense.

We are also fine with anyone ISOing, really, as long as we disrupted their motion and got them out of their game...because no one will beat us at a game of ISOs. We are simply the best PnR and ISO team ever created.

#3 heypartner, Apr 27, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I was of the impression that you studied them well and knew all the answers to how to defeat them.

Sooty, Rock Block, CCity Zero and 3 others like this.
  5. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

Switch everything. Klay has been shooting slump. Curry ankles not healthy enough to get past Capela so we will be a-ok

jcmoon, ramotadab and Denovo like this.
  6. photojoe

photojoe Member

This thread was so insightful during the Jazz series, I can't wait to hear what amazing information is posted this time

Nook, tmoney1101, Rock Block and 6 others like this.
  7. ramotadab

ramotadab Member

I thought we traded Capela for Thon Maker?

Sooty, hongxingli and hakeem94 like this.
  8. cebu

cebu Member

we have better defensive players to slow down Durant.

9. Denovo

Denovo Member

They only have 3 scoring options. Switch everything and force KD into contested 2’s.

PJ is a monster defensively. I’ve slandered Gordon all year but I trust him 100% on defense as well.
    Cp3’s defense speaks for itself.

The real question is... how will Steph handle getting iso’d to death? Especially with his bad ankle.

Sooty, bobloblaw, rhee and 7 others like this.
  10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Clearly, sign Anthony Randolph. Replace Capela with him and the Rockets easily romp to victory in the series.

Sooty, Nook, c1utchfan925 and 4 others like this.
  11. kevtse

kevtse Member

Double team/help defense to lock up KD, Curry and Thompson. Lure Green and Iguodala to brick the three pointers.

jcmoon likes this.
  12. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

How are we going to defend Clutchfans from 'holic?

13. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

OP needs to change the thread title and add the magic words "Tell me"

Sooty, ParaSolid, hakeem94 and 2 others like this.
  14. topfive

topfive CF OG

Exactly. Do your homework, Holic! Watch the games!

biff17 and hakeem94 like this.
  15. foggy94

foggy94 Member

This season we have showed on the ball handler when they ran a PnR, unless that was between Curry/Klay/Durant - where you can't leave them even momentarily.

I wonder if we will continue to do that, with the screen defender showing quickly on Curry and letting Dray/Looney/Bogut roll if it's a 1/4 or 1/5 PnR. Dray is a great passer in the short roll, but if you're making the bigs make decisions it's better for us defensively, and trapping Curry (even just temporarily) might force some turnovers as he does cough it up a lot. Our defensive rotations have been really good recently so we can hold our own defending multiple looks in a possession.

Of course we will also switch all their off ball screens between Curry and Klay and live with the KD iso, trying to keep PJ on him as much as possible but also trying different bodies.

I wonder if we will try Capela on KD. In theory he is the only one with the combination of length to bother his shot, and some quickness to be able to stay with him if he drives. But in the small sample size of CC on Durant he is shooting 50%, so it hasn't really worked in reality yet.

everyday eddie, HP3 and BaselineFade like this.
  16. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

[​IMG]
    "Help us b'bholic, you're our only hope."

17. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I'd defend them by saying, San Francisco has a great food scene and beautiful views. But I don't really feel the need to defend them.

18. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

How will the Warriors stop Capela and Faried?

19. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I think we have to selectively go to trapping on defense off of picks. Curry and Durant do not handle traps well, and they can turn the ball over when pressured. Too much and they figure it out, so the idea is to surprise them with it randomly and force them to handle the pressure.

BigShasta and hakeem94 like this.
  20. motleydeflep6

motleydeflep6 Member

Just don’t do what you did with Utah and leave guys wide open and they’ll hopefully be fine.

hakeem94 likes this.