1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Bogut Effect on GSW's OG Motion Offense

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Apr 19, 2019.

1. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

bogut's main purpose on the court would be to take one of our players out w/ injury. at their 5 spot i prefer bell the most, then looney, then donkey, then bogut

snowconeman22 likes this.
  2. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

If y’all figure out how to defend it be sure to let holic know.

3. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

those ar3nt gonna work against us tho....we switch screens not try n fight thru remember.

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Cousins was their x-factor. People say he made them worse. But they didn't have to play him. They could use him to do things teams weren't prepared for. That's the value of having Cousins for a stacked team like the Warriors. Now they don't have it. I can't believe people are moaning that the Warriors got better without Cousins.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  5. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

Well, Bogut is about 2x the width of Jordan Bell. Bell was able to push Harden 3 feet for a wide open Curry's 3 and not get called for a moving screen. Bogut would be able to move 2 players. Switching might not be too effective against that.

6. hou$tonScrew$tonTX

I’d put Hartenstein/Nene in the game to rough him up for a bit ;)

7. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

The bogut ship sailed out Milwaukee.

Bogut screens are really decoys for Durant who runs a weak side pin down whenever a mismatch is recognized by someone other than curry like Draymond green, Thompson.

8. basketballholic

Any discussion about the Warriors that does not focus on KD/Draymond at the 4/5 is a waste of time. This is what we should be concerned about. Not Bogut and Looney. Bogut and Looney are simply in there to save the other guys minutes.

9. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

When are you starting the "How are we gonna defend the Hamptons 5 lineup?" Thread?

10. foggy94

foggy94 Member

OK but those are actual real minutes that are going to happen in a real NBA playoff game that we'd quite like to win.

BigMaloe and heypartner like this.
  11. foggy94

foggy94 Member

My favourite part of that thread was his 'YOU'RE WASTING TIME!!' posts to anybody joking around. Dude is acting like Bzdelik is frantically hitting f5 with his fingers crossed that hardenbigdick69 is gonna come up with the answers.

12. jowman

jowman Member

Pj too important. Have nene come in and meet his elbow with boguts face ala dirty ass Malone. Or hope bogut runs into foster and they both break something.

slothy420 likes this.
  13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I can just see it:
    • MDA: "Aside from Hampton 5: What do you have planned for the 1Q and 3Q when Bogut starts."
    • Bzdelik: "Roy and I will have a plan prepared by next practice."
    • MDA: "Good. James and Chris are showing me today how they're going to run the offense."
    • Bzdelik: "Yeah, we need to win those minutes for sure."
    • @basketballholic: "Guys, any discussion about the Warriors that does not focus on KD/Draymond at the 4/5 is a waste of time."
    [​IMG]

inb4: If we are a negative when Bogut or Looney are on the court, then there's nothing worth talking about.

BigMaloe and Nook like this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

That is fine..... if they want to play that way, the Rockets can as well..... they aren't beating Milwaukee if Curry or Durant go down..... we sometimes forget that Paul isn't the only walking injury risk. All it takes is one misplaces jump and Curry is out with his frail ankles.

15. Nook

Nook Member

Bogut is more likely to hurt the Rockets on the boards and passing.

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

The passing is what I mean by the reason for the switching defense. Bzdelik designed the defense to address two things: open looks and also assisted layups from passing to slips/cutters when you hedge or show -- which is the hallmark of motion. That's switching's two-pronged advantage over Man Defense trying to chase Curry and Klay ... like we see the Clippers trying to do.

I call it "Flattening 5-out Motion" and Bogut likes to run Triangle Sets, too. You "Flatten the Triangle." The motion gets flattened around the arc, clogging the arc. Maybe there is a better word than flattening an offense around an semi-circle, but I'd also say it flattens the number of options to a more manageable set --- your decision tree of options gets flattened.

We accomplished that last year, but we never had to face two motion-offense passers like Green/Bogut on the court at the same time.

#56 heypartner, Apr 22, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    Nook likes this.
  17. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Good point .

The warriors lost their change-up

It looks like it made them better because they were playing their main (old) style more and blowing teams out with it .

But when a team that counters that style comes along they had the option of switching things up and using cousins .

It remains to be seen what will happen lol . I think like last series it will get intense pretty quickly and will become a contest of wills .(plus the normal variance factors lol)

IMO the rockets have grit in spades and the golden boys have forgotten what it's like to earn it .

Tonight game vs the jazz might tell us something too . If we can pull out our killer instinct it's a good sign

Easy likes this.
  18. basketballholic

After the Jazz series is over. Unless someone else starts it. And then I'll just contribute.

19. basketballholic

one of Bogut/Looney will be minimized against us... and possibly both. I suspect the Warriors are going to go with their lineup of death against us in this year's series for quite a bit more minutes than they did last year.

20. basketballholic

It will not be consequential to the series. What we do against the Hampton 5 will determine who wins the series.

https://media.giphy.com/media/cO8S0SmVb4zQa2IxBG/giphy.gif