1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[WC First Round] (2)Denver vs. (7)San Antonio

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Apr 10, 2019.

?

(2)Denver vs. (7)San Antonio

Poll closed Apr 13, 2019.
  1. Nuggets in 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Nuggets in 5

2.2%
  3. Nuggets in 6

19.6%
  4. Nuggets in 7

15.2%
  5. Spurs in 7

30.4%
  6. Spurs in 6

30.4%
  7. Spurs in 5

2.2%
  8. Spurs in 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If you take Duncan away, you still have Kawhi whom they took after Marcus Morris (guess who).
    You have to substract JH.

I call that only fair.

Also Harden was never fully developed by the Rockets. 30-40 Percent I give to OKC (and Arizona State).

We unlocked him and pushed him to superstardom. The fundamentals were there before.

Name a few other franchises (not the Rockets) with that kind of player development and I listen.
    We dun want to wear homer glasses.

You have to separate as you said player development and recruitment.
    I was only saying that recruitment was top notch.
    Of course San Antonio never firing a coach and that stability is key.
    But they also developed a coach like Budenholzer , Brett Brown,........

You were throwing words in my mouth about player development which I just vaguely touched.
    They do a good job at that. Nothing overly great.
    And I never wanted to mention Houston with them. That was all you!

Thing about San Antonio wasn't that they revamped their American players, they had an army of international players, they were at the fore front of scouting them and bringing them over.

I did not say they are vastly superior, they are just "normally" superior but with vastly superior playoff results, because they played so well with Duncan or Kawhi.

They know who they want and they get them.

Kind of what Houston tried to do this year and last year but they only started seeing success these two years with minimum player salary players.

(But that is more recruitment than really development).......

If you go strictly with player development, most American players are already developed in College, there are virtually no HS players coming into the league.

The fundamentals were developed in Highschool and College and even prior to that.

#201 daywalker02, Apr 18, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

spoilering because it's a side conversation. apologies for being bored and derailing a playoff thread. :)

I have a feeling you're not grasping that my one and only interest in this conversation is your comment that I quoted --

"Normal players turn into valuable players turn into stars there. You have to be around the coaching staff and management."
    That sounds like you're saying they have the best development school in the world, by far, etc. My other point is also that development of NBA players (at that age) is overrated vs their own will to work, improve and compete as a professional.

When I say rating a development school shouldn't matter if you have a HOFer for 19 years or not, and you respond that we'd have to imagine other teams without their stars, then you're not getting my point.

I'm not trying to win an argument about what creates the most winning. You seem to be saying players would not be as good at basketball by going to other teams. That's like saying players wouldn't be as good at basketball by choosing Rice over Duke. Sure, that is absolutely correct, but is it correct for all the NCAA programs to say Duke prepares players for the NBA vastly better than any other program?

And before Coach K, most said Bobby Knight at Indiana. (Coach K is Knight's protege, fwiw.)

Scouting isn't player development. How's that different than you saying we "Unlocked Harden" and "His skills were already there." or different than NCAA Recruiting powerhouses

I'm just using Rockets as an example because we both know both teams. We could move this discussion to just NCAA programs if you want, for me to make my analogous point.

#202 heypartner, Apr 19, 2019
    daywalker02 likes this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

All due respect, dude it sounds like some development school to you.
    But it ain't meant that way.

Dude, look, I am far away from Texas and the Alamo but sure there are more than 1 example that guys like Gary Neal who was only effective there.

Role players play their best in San Antonio but they can't maintain the same elsewhere.
    Do I have an explanation for that, no I don't. And I dun want to get to it right now.

This is what I meant. I may have exaggerated with them turning into stars (that was more Kawhi)

Working hard and improving is like an automatic for getting into the league. That is hardly something you have to stress.

Whatever you want to call it. I am not too picky what you want to call it. I dun feel any problem typing that and be down with it.

#203 daywalker02, Apr 19, 2019
    Outlier likes this.
  4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Damn the Spurs. Everybody thought they were dead after they lost Leonard and the old core. Now they may even have a chance to go to the WCF. SMH.

hakeem94 and daywalker02 like this.
  5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have no idea

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you got brothers

slothy420 likes this.
  7. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

dmo scored again!

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

9. Normalus

Normalus Member

Averaging 28.8 points and 7.2 rebounds per 36 minutes. Borderline all-star :rolleyes:

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

borderline?
    these are MVP numbers!

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Derrick White = 2017 29th pick. But Tilman loves trading such a pick for Luxury Tax Saving.

TheRealist137, J.R. and hakeem94 like this.
  12. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

how come these dudes will play their 4th game before the rockets will play their 3rd game of the po?

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

bc they don't play til tuesday after tomorrow, and their series started before

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

it doesnt make sense

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

they have the same number of off days. not much of an issue. not everyone can be on the same schedule

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

it is known

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Malone: Nuggets need to be more physical with Spurs

Michael Malone said he wants to see Jamal Murray respond to Derrick White's performance in game 4 of their series against the San Antonio Spurs.

White finished with a career-high 36 points in the Spurs' game 3 win.

"I'm hoping that [Murray] kind of has the same reaction Derrick White had. Derrick White was a recipient of Jamal Murray's great play in the fourth quarter of Game 2 and he came out in Game 3 highly motivated and in attack mode. And we got to get Jamal playing at a higher level. In 12 quarters, Jamal has impacted the game at a high level in one of those. And Derrick White right now is at 23 points per game, 69 percent from the field [for the series]. Jamal has got to take that personally and I expect that to happen tomorrow afternoon," said Malone.

Malone added that Nuggets need to be more physical in making the Spurs uncomfortable.

"You have to be willing to [deliver] a hard foul sometimes because when a guy gets that comfortable, it was 36 points, [24] was in our paint, at some point this becomes ridiculous. It's on our guards because he didn't feel us. It's on our bigs. It's on whoever is near the basket, send a message, put him on the foul line, make him earn it. I'm not saying play dirty, but in the playoffs, it's got to be physical basketball and you got to make teams earn everything and it was way too easy for them."

Vivi likes this.
  18. Reeko

Reeko Member

I just can’t take the Nuggets seriously...WC Atlanta Hawks

plutoblue11 likes this.
  19. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Lol nuggets, ****ed us pretty bad in propping another team up to avoid a 2nd round meeting and won’t even get out of the 1st

BigShasta likes this.
  20. Juxtaposed Jolt

Nuggets go on a quick 4-0 burst, Pop calls for time. What a coach.