1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Report:Investigator Says Evidence Showing Deceased DNC Staffer Seth Rich Was Emailing With WikiLeaks

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Astrodome, May 15, 2017.

1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So is it also bad when Trump pushes someone who is deemed not worthy of having top security clearance to have top security clearance anyway like Trump did with his son-in-law?

Sweet Lou 4 2 and fchowd0311 like this.
  2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

And unlike with Hillary's email scandal, there are negative tangible consequences with geopolitical ramifications with Kushner holding a clerance such as with the Qatar incident. Dude is trying to grift his WH position and secret clearance and it's so obviously blatant.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  3. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

You are welcome. It has help me.

more research

https://www.everydayhealth.com/emot...projection-dealing-with-undesirable-emotions/

Psychological projection is a defense mechanism people subconsciously employ in order to cope with difficult feelings or emotions. Psychological projection involves projecting undesirable feelings or emotions onto someone else, rather than admitting to or dealing with the unwanted feelings. Have you ever disliked someone only to become convinced that the person had a vendetta against you? This is a common example of psychological projection. Luckily, there are methods you can use to identify why you are projecting your emotions and put a stop to this coping mechanism.

Sweet Lou 4 2 and No Worries like this.
  4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

does it work in reverse? I am convinced everyone likes me.

dachuda86 likes this.
  5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Yes, I think there is that. I'm not sure what you call it. Need more research :).

Os Trigonum likes this.
  6. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

7. Major

Major Member

This thread is a good reminder of who our most stupid and gullible members are.

8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Eh, too harsh. Just another of many reminders of where people get their news.

So many of my otherwise smart liberal friends thought trumpf kids would be in handcuffs by now, that the pres wouldn't make it through 2018, etc. that looks just as stupid to me as the Seth rich obfuscation.

No Worries likes this.
  9. dmoneybangbang

Yea but it seems your smart liberal friends were more correct.

10. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I didnt co-sign the nbc article when i created this thread. I am probably stupid and gullible at times but arent we all? PM me if you want to continue with the insults.

11. fchowd0311

Some more than others.

It's definitely a gradient scale.

12. fchowd0311

13. Major

Major Member

I disagree.

If someone chooses to get their news only from a crazy-right or crazy-left source and doesn't know any better, it makes them stupid.
    If someone chooses to get their news only from a crazy-right or crazy-left source and knows it and believes it anyway, it makes them gullible.

:D

biff17 and No Worries like this.
  14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

OP listed two links. Of which, this is one:

[NBC News] DNC Staffer's Murder Draws Fresh Conspiracy Theories

The other is Breitbart News, which we can dismiss out of hand.

NBC covering this story in any capacity displays their incompetence. NBC's story probably did drive traffic to their site. Thus, NBC News traded integrity for money. Not a good look for a news organization.

#194 No Worries, Apr 19, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    B-Bob likes this.
  15. fchowd0311

Well at least they labeled it as a conspiracy theory.

Breitbart reported at as a genuine story.

16. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Wikileaks has an impeccable record of never having to issue a retraction. The Daily Beast has been in trouble many times for things like plagiarism and getting things embarrassingly wrong. It's has an unflinchingly pro-DNC, pro-Hillary Clinton bias which is not a surprise considering it is owned by the IAC, whose director is Chelsea Clinton. It's probably as singularly biased as Israel HaYom and would take it about as seriously.

Fair enough though @fchowd0311, yes, Assange's statements are directly contradicted by the report, and certainly are in need of a response. The report is a very compelling read and while the dirty details of the people involved weren't a shock -- there was a lot of content that was hardly trivial. My main interest in wanting to read the report was specifically forensic, especially since that's what I do for a living and penetration and phishing attempts from Russian and Chinese IPs are a part of my daily life. That was less satisfying, but still much better than I expected.

A strong and detailed case is laid out there that the break ins were the result of a massive phishing operation and it certainly passes the smell test. The lines drawn to the certainty that it's specific GRU units are however unclear, and what little useful exposition is in there is redacted, which is unfortunate because that detail would prove him a liar. There was a lot more there than I expected and I still have plenty to read, but it seems a bit soft on satisfying the identity of the those that penetrated the DNC servers.

Seth Rich conspiracy theories remain conspiracy theories as much as any other conspiracy theory without evidence. Assange never said that he was his source -- only that it wasn't the Russian government or any other state actor. Wikileaks has never named their sources (as no respectable journalist would), but Assange did offer to provide information to investigators that it wasn't Russia but was never contacted.

17. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

And you can accomplish that while being a propaganda tool. If you are into "leaks", there are much better alternative. https://ddosecrets.com/

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  19. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's something much more strange than simple stupidity. People appear to willfully choose to believe untrue things that reinforce their biases. If it was the same story about a dead Republican staffer and Trump, their cognitive faculties would all become very selective and sharp about vetting facts.

Of course, the Q Anon psychosis is the most extreme example. I'm very intrigued about what goes on on those people's minds - how much it is a choice to willfully reject the truth, and how much their brains are tricking them subconsciously. I'm also really interested in the history of this. I don't remember it being such a big think thirty or more years ago, but maybe I just wasn't paying close enough attention.

Things would be much simpler if this weirdness was just a case of simple universal gullibility. Its actually very selective in how the gullibility is applied.

20. adoo

adoo Member

In the summer of 2016, Russian intelligence agents secretly planted a fake report claiming that Democratic National Committee staffer Seth Rich was gunned down by a squad of assassins working for Hillary Clinton

Russia’s foreign intelligence service, known as the SVR, first circulated a phony “bulletin” — disguised
    to read as a real intelligence report —about the alleged murder of the former DNC staffer on July 13,
    2016, according to the U.S. federal prosecutor who was in charge of the Rich case. That was just
    three days after Rich was killed in what police believed was a botched robbery.

those precise details popped up the same day on an obscure website, whatdoesitmean.com,
    it is a frequent vehicle for Russian propaganda.
    The Russian effort to exploit Rich’s tragic death didn’t stop with the fake SVR bulletin. Over the course of the next two and a half years, the Russian government-owned media organizations RT and Sputnik repeatedly played up stories that baselessly alleged that Rich, a relatively junior-level staffer, was the source of Democratic Party emails that had been leaked to WikiLeaks. It was an idea first floated by WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, who on Aug. 9, 2016, announced a $20,000 reward for information about Rich’s murder, saying — somewhat cryptically — that “our sources take risks.”

At the same time, online trolls working in St. Petersburg, Russia, for the Internet Research Agency (IRA) — the same shadowy outfit that conducted the Russian social media operation during the 2016 election — aggressively boosted the conspiracy theories. IRA-created fake accounts, masquerading as those of American citizens or political groups, tweeted and retweeted more than 2,000 times about Rich, helping to keep the bogus claims about his death in the social media bloodstream, according to an analysis of a database of Russia troll accounts by Yahoo News.

From their origins as a Russian disinformation plant, the bogus theories about his murder emerged as a persistent theme on alt-right websites and then were fanned by right-wing conspiracy entrepreneurs such as Alex Jones of Infowars and Matt Couch, the founder of an Arkansas-based group called America First Media, which bills itself as “the leading investigative team in America in the Seth Rich murder.”

Within months, the Rich conspiracy story was also being quietly promoted inside Trump’s White House.

“Huge story … he was a Bernie guy … it was a contract kill, obviously,” then-White House chief strategist Steve Bannon texted to a CBS “60 Minutes” producer about Rich on March 17, 2017
    The conspiracy claims reached their zenith in May 2017 — the same week as Mueller’s appointment as special counsel in the Russia probe — when Fox News’ website posted a sensational story claiming that an FBI forensic report had discovered evidence on Rich’s laptop that he had been in communication with WikiLeaks prior to his death. Sean Hannity, the network’s primetime star, treated the account as major news on his nightly broadcast, calling it “explosive” and proclaiming it “might expose the single biggest fraud, lies, perpetrated on the American people by the media and the Democrats in our history.”

That account quickly fell apart under scrutiny. Realizing that it had been exposed as a useful idiot for Russian propaganda, Fox News issued a retraction. But
    • Sean Hanity, who repeatedly pushed the false conspiracies about Seth Rich’s murder, and
    • Wikileaks’ Julian Assange, who implied that Rich was his source of DNC emails, have never apologized

https://news.yahoo.com/exclusive-th...acy-a-yahoo-news-investigation-100000831.html

B-Bob, FranchiseBlade and vlaurelio like this.