1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The official don't re-sign Clowney thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Wow. This team sucks.

Between this and signing one year deals without negotiating in season, this franchise sucks.

Maybe they are just in it for the money.

whag00 likes this.
  2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

The market was set last September. All the reports, including quotes from Clowney himself, stated he wanted a Mack/Donald type deal. You could say DLaw set the floor but I haven't seen any indication that JD would've signed for something less than that, even if they offered it to him earlier.

I'm all for trading Clowney but don't think there is a rush to do it. There's still 2 weeks before the draft and 3 months to get a deal done. I'm guessing teams will get more desperate closer to the draft, hopefully even more so on draft night if there is an early run on DL. Think we all want some resolution now but if Gaine can hold out another 2 weeks and possibly get a 2nd/3rd rounder thrown in? I'd say go for it.

But I will completely agree with you if we're still talking about this on July 16th.

stevel likes this.
  3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

4. Remix

Remix Member

Texans are doing the right thing imo. No way would I give a guy with arthroscopic knees a 100 million+ contract with 50+ million guaranteed.

I mean sacks aren't everything, but the dude doesn't even have a double digit sack year under his belt. If he doesn't want to play under the franchise tag, which he has every right to do, trade him for at least a 2nd and move on.

rusHour and Two Sandwiches like this.
  5. Whenitsover

Whenitsover Member

You are assuming the team can drum up that value for him. Other teams know the situation and are aware if they wait, Clowney will be available for less. Just the truth, Texans gambled and missed. Will be lucky to get the 1st round pick they couldve had earlier in the process.

6. solid

solid Contributing Member

Don't sign Clowney!!! The Texans will regret it if they do. This guy wants to cash in and retire to an easy chair on the sidelines ASAP. I promise you, he likes money much more than football. If he gets a big deal, he will be on the sideline before the season starts.

BigShasta likes this.
  7. csj

csj Member

You're assuming other teams won't bid against one another, you're assuming a buyer's market as though every other team will let one get the lowest price. Just the truth...

8. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

His production isn't that far behind Mack's. Yes, he has an injury history. Even with that taken into account, his production warrants a first. Easily.

whag00 and stevel like this.
  9. Possum

Possum Member

Lol. Let me guess, you’re butt hurt because you wanted us to draft someone else??? Lol the dude eats breathes and lives football. He’s done everything ever asked of him by the Texans. He put in the work after major surgery and came back and dominated. People like you are clueless. You know nothing about him. You’re still holding on to your hurt feelings that the Texans didn’t listen to your “expert” opinion.

10. seank1986

seank1986 Member

11. Whenitsover

Whenitsover Member

Teams rarely bid against each other in the NFL when it comes to trades. Too many egos at play. There are several teams in the league that simply dont deal with each other. The market you think is there has not been drummed up.

The Texans have let it be known since the combine that clowney can be had for a 1st. They had no takers. Like Forbes has stated, the availability is no secret, the interest just hasnt been there. Hes not and hasnt been the only pass rusher available on the market via trade, just the most expensive. If the Texans are sitting and waiting for a deal to materialize for him, they are mistaken.

They dropped the ball. Had the opportunity to truly negotiate. They decided to lowball and attempt to drum up trade value. It didnt materialize. Teams know he will be available in a year or two again. Texans lose again. Dumb decision making. Side with who you want, frankly it doesnt matter. They have so many fans wrapped around their battle red fingers they never have to worry about sales. Just dont act surprised when it all blows up in their faces again in a few years.

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

13. csj

csj Member

You know all this how?

14. solid

solid Contributing Member

You misunderstand my perspective. I never had another choice when he was drafted. He has a long history of injuries, some of them unusual. He seems to be "questionable" every week of the season. My concern is his durability in the long term. I am not an "expert," just a fan like most folks on this board.

15. havoc1

havoc1 Member

I’m going to guess he makes it up. Notice how he usually (not always) posts after some tweet comes out giving information that *surprise* he’s also been hearing.

He also apparently has “sources” with the astros, texans, rockets, lakers (remember Carmelo was going there 100% done deal), the nfl, mlb and nba in general. That seems like it couldn’t possibly be true. What kind of job/status could he have where he knows the inner workings of teams in completely different sports as well as inside information about the leagues in general?

But maybe I’m wrong and he really is an insider. I just highly doubt it.

16. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Lol

FLASH21, stevel and J.R. like this.
  17. Marteen

Marteen Member

18. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My thoughts on trading Clowney -

Any team that thinks they can get a superfreak rusher via the draft will obviously prefer that to paying Clowney. But once the athletes are gone?

My guess is, that between now and the moment when the plug-and-play guys are drafted, trade talk on Clowney will be dead. Once the "top guys" that you can plug in (hypothetically Bosa, Allen and Sweat) are drafted, Clowney becomes much more attractive when the other options are guys who have holes in their game that may, or may not be amenable to fixing.

Thus, about 8 to 12 picks into the draft, I expect Clowney rumors to possibly start appearing. I also dont think the fact that rumors might be nonexistant between now and then is any kind of bad omen.

19. Major

Major Member

Uhh, his production is nowhere near Mack's.

Clowney: 29 sacks, 5 forced fumbles, 0 INT, 151 tackles (62 games)
    Mack: 53 sacks, 15 forced fumbles, 2 INT, 268 tackles (78 games)

And Clowney has had JJ Watt to split focus while Mack has been the singular focus of opposing offenses. We've also seen Mack completely wreck opposing offenses in ways we've not seen with Clowney.

Clowney is not even remotely as effective or disruptive as Mack.

Pringles likes this.
  20. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Well if this is the case. Another late first rounder along with a third OR 2 second rounders (this year and next year) would be nice