1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sous Vide

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Falcons Talon, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Long story short (I worked there in college)....... that is close, but it is 2 parts pineapple and 1 part low sodium soy sauce with onions, cilantro, water salt and pepper and a roasted jalapeno.

LonghornFan and CCity Zero like this.
  2. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Man, thanks for the extra tip, that's awesome, definitely doing this

3. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Thanks so much for sending this and the tips!

4. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

I got a little carried away...
    Prepped the sirloin, pork steaks, and chuck ribs while the chicken breasts were in the bath.

Attached Files:

5. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Are you gonna cook all of them in one sitting or you prepping for the week by freezing them and just cooking as you go?

6. Falcons Talon

Chicken was meal prep for the week for lunch. The ribs are in a two day bath. Everything else is for as i go through the week.

CCity Zero likes this.
  7. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Nice man, I need to try more meal prep stuff like this for lunch. Lately we've been making great dinners but lunch definitely needs some work .... With this done/ready ahead of time that's awesome

8. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Nice, man! gonna give this a try some time.

9. Falcons Talon

I need some advice. I've had all the ribs in the bath since 7pm yesterday. I'm finally using the ice chest so there is plenly of room for the pork steaks to swim with the ribs, I am going 48 hours at 160F*, but I'm craving those pork steaks for tonight. The pork will go 2-3 hours @ 140F*. Do you think there would be any issue reducing the temps to 140F* with and throwing in the pork steak for a few hours and then bumping back up to 160F* for the last 24 hours for the ribs?

10. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I dont think it would be a problem. As long as the temp of the ribs dont go above 160, in which they wont, I dont see a problem with it.

Falcons Talon likes this.
  11. Falcons Talon

Looking forward to them pork chops!!!

12. Falcons Talon

Not too impressed with the pork steaks. I went 140 for 2.5 hours, but the chops were frozen. I think I can get the same tenderness from the traditional skillet or oven method, or better yet, just save those for the bbq pit.

The 48 hr chuck ribs come out tonight, and I threw in some sirloins for an 8 hr bath at 129.

It sure is fun and tasty experimenting on the sous vide.

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Speed-of-cooking has very little to do with sous-vide unless you want to cook something that's frozen. Sous-vide is actually not very fast at all, and maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but sous-vide and an Instant Pot/pressure cooker are almost inversely-related. From what I remember reading once, the method was popularized by a French chef who was looking for a better way to cook fois gras -- its origins are in French restaurants. Legendary cooks like Ferran Adria and Jose Andres use it.

I understand people wanting to spend time cooking and all, but sous-vide isn't about "cutting things short". This type of cooking has existed for decades overseas and in restaurants and is just now getting popular with the "common man" because the price of the tool has come down.

As for the reverse sear, I agree it makes for a hell of a steak, but sous-vide also makes a hell of a steak. I've come to the belief there're many ways to anything and, like you said, it's a matter of choice/taste/opinion how you do it. Great results can be had by many methods. I'm sure Tootsie Tomanetz down at Snow's BBQ in Lexington doesn't need a Big Green Egg or a several-thousand dollar custom-built grill to cook some of the best brisket ever, yet she's got what many consider to be the best BBQ in the state. Same with Aaron Franklin. Yet, some of us do choose to go the BGE or Traeger or whatever else route.

BTW, this is somewhat off-topic, but maybe not -- if any of you are Microsoft fans or computing geeks from the 80's/90's, there was an absolute genius named Nathan Myhrvold who was the CTO. Read his wiki entry to learn how bright the guy was. He has since pursued the art of cooking and flown to El Buli (now closed) to dine with Adria on multiple occasions because he wanted to learn and immerse himself in the art and science of cooking. He wrote a set of books where I hear he talks about sous-vide cooking among dozens of other things, but I've never read it... too pricey for me to justify buying it as a hobby. lol. I once read it was one of the best explanations of sous-vide cooking (can't confirm). His slant and love is more towards the modern and highly-scientific, so it may not be to your liking.
    If any of you want to buy it :
    In the meantime, here's an "adaptation" from his website : https://modernistcuisine.com/2013/01/why-cook-sous-vide/

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The torch is probably best if you can get the flame right ... otherwise it gets to tasting like fuel. lol. There are people that invest in the Searzal attachment, too, but I just use a skillet. The torch is best for all thickness of steaks. The searing on a skillet for a thinner cut of steak can be tricky -- thicker steaks are more forgiving.

Or if you want to lose your mind and want to burn cash as well as meat (jk), you can finish it off in one of these :

15. Falcons Talon

Yeah, won't be getting that Otto anytime soon. You're spot-on about the flame. With the 9xtl, I use the largest tip and don't crank the flame out all the way, maybe one full turn and it's good. It's important not to use yellow flame. The 9xtl has not produced a yellow flame for me yet

Here's an article to look at about torches.

https://sousvideguy.com/best-kitchen-torch-sous-vide-hands-review/

16. Pipe

Pipe Contributing Member

Tried sous vide for the first time last night on rack of lamb. I don't have a proper sous vide machine, so I used an igloo cooler and vacuum sealed the racks. The water temp ranged from 130 to 128 and I added hot water once - kept the meat in for about 2 hours and it was 122 when I took it out. Finished/seared it on the Weber kettle to about 125 for me and 130 for the missus. Fantastic! Just for the record, Father's Day menu was rack of lamb, corn on the cob, roasted potato wedges, caprese salad, and homemade Cherry Garcia ice cream. Pegau Cuvee Reservee Chateauneuf-du-Pape 2016. Happy Father's Day to me! :)

rockbox likes this.
  17. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

Bought one yesterday. This thing is freaking great. Just made pork chops so tender I could spread them on my toast for breakfast.

18. Buck Turgidson

Just had this episode ("Immersion Therapy", unfortunately it's not free online) on while I was messing around in the kitchen, will be my next sous vide experiment. Looks like a great way to utilize a cheap cut of meat, he served it with veggies and also made an awesome looking french dip sammich.

https://recipes.anovaculinary.com/recipe/alton-brown-s-rump-roast

19. Buck Turgidson

The 3.6lb $14.44 roast is taking its bath, will be ready at 3:30. Easy as hell to prep, only mishap was having to yank the smoke detector off the ceiling and take it outside while I was searing the meat. That and the fact that the ****ing deer ate my thyme plant, so I couldn't throw some of that in.

20. Buck Turgidson

Big thumbs up on this recipe. This Alton Brown guy might just know what he's doing.