1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Geltzeiler) Source: Tilman feverishly cutting costs in all Facets of Rockets organization

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NateNate, Mar 13, 2019.

1. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

This dude is followed by Tad Brown and Woj....I say he's legit.

TheRealAllpro and J Sizzle like this.
  2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Geltz is a media personality for the NBA. He has a show on NBA radio (XM). He's definitely "legit" but that doesn't mean this story is. I'm very curious and concerned.

I believe it but I want it to be false.

whiskeyred and don grahamleone like this.
  3. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

lets be honest with ourselves. It doesnt need to be confirmed

4. dmoneybangbang

While I always want the best for the rockets, this dude has also invested greatly into UH athletics and helping putting UH on the path to be state flagship university.

Not throwing eveything at the rockets doesn’t strike me as cheap. I’ll await more information.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

supposedly legit but isn't verified. No blue check. No care

appreciative of info coming from those with verified credibility

6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Gotcha. Thanks.

If it's true...nobody should be surprised. "They're just ducking the tax this year. They'll definitely go all in after this year and pay up" was a convenient trade deadline narrative, but that seems silly at best. Money is what's important to Tilman.

7. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Just FYI, this is how billionaires become billionaires and stay that way.

When it’s time to spend, he will.

8. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If they don't ever pay the tax, it will be business as usual. What universe are you living in that Les was any different?

9. treyk3

treyk3 Member

The question isn't whether this story is true. The question is who leaked it and why? This isn't particularly news. Cutting costs happens a lot in winning situations. Less need for ticket sales. Less need for advertising budget. Miami fired their sales staff after they sold out.

10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Why is this surprising? He has done this with his restaurants.

ramotadab likes this.
  11. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

How is now not the time?

12. thething

thething Contributing Member

Cutting unnecessary expenses is a thing all great businesses need to do. Les probably had some things going on that needed to be cut off.

I'm not going to assume the businesses are doing bad and that's why they are cutting costs. They might just be trying to increase profit.

don grahamleone likes this.
  13. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

This sounds totally impossible. You mean businessmen buying businesses goes through cost reduction initiatives in order to achieve fiscally sound results? Based on the posters here who've obtained their MBAs and are running their own Fortune 500 companies, that doesn't seem logical. At. All.

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

so are you saying he needs to spend on guys like knight and chriss? bc that would be pretty stupid

15. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

It's pretty much known that Fertitta's MO in his businesses is to come in and cut costs. I wouldn't doubt for a second he has done this in much of the Rockets non-basketball related departments.

We'll know soon whether his "I'll pay luxury tax next year" shtick was all bluster, but cutting costs in other areas frankly should have been expected given his history.

We have years to appreciate his cheapness if it f**ks us over long term, but this story doesn't mean anything to me.

NotInMyHouse and ramotadab like this.
  16. Mr. Turbo

Mr. Turbo Member

This is completely unverifiable. The sample size of him as an owner is too small to make these claims. In this league, flexibility is as important as deep pockets. Just because we didn’t go all in on risky free agents and played it smart!? So why hit the panic button?

ramotadab likes this.
  17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Houston has the most Fortune 100 companies in the U.S. after New York.

There was no other billionaire in the city wanting to buy the team?

18. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Flexibility (Moreyball historically) is better than deep pockets (Dolan's Knicks) every day of the week.

But this is a bad look, and it is extremely concerning to read as a Rockets fan.

19. ramotadab

ramotadab Member

Sorry Morey, no more late night Whataburger trips.

clutchdabear and Stardog75 like this.
  20. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

I'm a journalist, so let me inject a few notes of caution:

1. A tweet from a journalist is often one of those tidbits that would be revised, put in context, or even discarded in the course of preparing a story for publication.

2. "sources" is sometimes dress-up for a single source.

3. "drastically" isn't quantified here. Look for a number.

4. "feverishly" isn't quantified either. It's somebody's interpretation. In this case, possibly one person's interpretation.

5. "feverishly" is a highly pejorative way of describing budget cuts. It makes the owner look desperate and irrational. Who would want to make the owner look irrational? Any employee who objects to the budget cuts. And who would want to make the owner look desperate? Any competitor who has heard about the budget cuts.

Fertitta might be desperate. But this description is vague, highly tendentious, and just the sort of thing somebody with a vested interest would put out. Until there's confirmation and more detail: Beware.

megastahr, HP3, Richie_Rich and 42 others like this.