1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchSads] "The way the Rockets play aren't appealing to other players"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by napalm06, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Der Rabbi

Der Rabbi Member

Really? I love Tuck's game as much as the next guy but I'd love for his minutes to go down to 28 or so a night. He's 34 years old, right? His legs have looked like jelly on his jumper for months now. I'd love to have seen Morris getting 20 minutes a nite at the 4 and 4 minutes a night at the 5 when the Rockets want to play 5 out.

#61 Der Rabbi, Feb 15, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    bballjunkie, bj3175 and hakeem94 like this.
  2. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

And buying a championship ready team. Les didn’t build that team, it was gifted to him.

vlaurelio and steddinotayto like this.
  3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I remember there was a time where @Carl Herrera had knee jerk hot takes that were a bit more fun to argue on. He diversified his heel-ness way better before Tilman bought the team.

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. smp

smp Member

I believe Fertitta let the luxury tax dictate his decisions rather than doing whatever he could to put the best available players around Harden this year. As fans, we don't really know what was available and what wasn't. But what we do know is that when you have a player like Harden, you should be maximizing your chance to win right now, not worrying about the luxury tax or repeater tax 3 years from now.

Of course that's easy for me to say since it isn't my team and it isn't my money. I understand that. Poor people always want to tell rich people how they should be spending their money. Hahaha.

5. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

It's appealing to players who prefer a certain style and unappealing to players who prefer something else. But that's the case with every team, our style maximises our talent, take a glass half full or half empty approach, ultimately it's the same situation.

What would be ludicrous though would be pursuing a style to attract an unknown player while the team is currently so talented.

Also with it looking like KD is jumping ship next year, holding our load until those next 3 years, while a bit sucky this year, makes logical sense.

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. nomiz1987

nomiz1987 Member

Honestly, this streak is having an effect on players around harden. While everyone's happy for harden, I've seen a few times where harden would have chosen to pass to the open man in the past when the streak wasn't an issue. It seems harden used to prioritize distributing more but recently it's become score first moreso. I'm hoping this streak ends, it's like when the warriors were going for the win loss record but ultimately lost the championship.

7. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Orrrr because Harden gets them open shots while they stand still vs not having that luxury?

8. rocks123

rocks123 Member

earning the ring instead of buying it. cool.

We have chemistry issue largely due to injuries and mid season new players. and yes because of hardens style of play. but we cant deviate from hardens type of play because we cant afford string of loses due to our bad start and injuries. all we can hope for once capela return the chemistry issue will slowly disappear in time for the play offs.

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. DustinS

DustinS Contributing Member

Go Rockets!

D-rock likes this.
  10. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Well it’s not appealing to me, and I love this team.
    I don’t enjoy watching Harden dribble for 23 seconds, even when it results in a sigh of relief when he makes a beautiful pin point pass. There’s nothing else. Watching that over and over even from a great player isn’t fun to watch for me. We need other plays. Backdoor cuts, movement, slashing. I agree with Kobe, this style cannot be sustained in the playoffs. ESP when chemistry isn’t top notch like it was last season. But we had some more movement, way more swagger, and a lot more reliable defense last season.

CP has not provided much of anything and he locked a huge amt of salary up. So did Clint but he had been healthy and contributing till recently. Not a knock on CP, I don’t know how you couldn’t sign him. Not without a LbJ replacement or something.

But we are salary locked and the rest of the league has gotten much much better.

bmelo and PDJACK7 like this.
  11. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

I love my Rockets, but I really hate this offense. Very little movement, a lot of dribbling with few passes, and too much one on one. I wouldn't want to play for them, and that's sad for me to say cause I'm Houston through and through

12. biff17

biff17 Member

they did try to go all in did you forget about them trying to trade for Butler.

what most of you all in people forget is that it takes two to tango, please give me a trade that makes sense for small in player?

13. nacho bidness

nacho bidness Member

I don't mind what some perceive as negative posting. It's healthy for the most part. 100 percent sunshine is weird when a season ago we won like 70 games. We're not there and it certainly feels like we're good but not contenders.

Sure that could change and I hope it does but nothing so far is indicating that at all. I'm mostly enjoying Harden's ridiculous run.

Threads like Harden should request a trade tho are just stupid. lol

14. smp

smp Member

Fans don't know what options were really available. So im not going to launch in to a bunch of hypothetical trades. What we do know is all the moves the rockets made were luxury tax maneuvers. Maybe there were no moves available to improve the team. I highly doubt it though. Other contenders found ways to get better. We found a way to avoid luxury tax. That's not a coincidence in my opinion.

15. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

40% of the league will be free agents this summer, too bad we can only sign players to the vet min because we're still 11mil over the salary cap.

CP3 getting paid more than Harden yearly already tells you a lot about where we're heading.

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Damn good post OP. My nominee for best thread of the season.

Being positive is better than being negative. Would not want to live life any other way.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

Kobe is really not one to talk, neither is MJ. Because they both rode that system (1, maybe 2 guys, dominating the ball) to multiple championships.

18. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I agree with everything you said here, 100%.

What you've done here is a good analysis of the Rockets issues without manufactured drama or predicting that our window is closed and our franchise has lost all value.

19. Reeko

Reeko Member

I don’t see why predicting that our window is closed is some problem. It’s not like we’re some legit contender atm or our future is all that bright. We lack cap space. We lack desirable assets. Our defense is bottom 10 in the league. A lot of signs point to that being the case.

20. biff17

biff17 Member

other contenders had assets none of this in a vacuum.

we did improve the team we upgraded to Shumpert over Knight who was unplayable.

we have also gotten 2other rotation players in Faried and Rivers.

so it is false that all we did is luxury tax maneuvers it's that type of narrative that is the problem, people ignore the fact that we had other trades that were reneged on.