1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

2019 Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Dec 28, 2018.

1. Nimo

Nimo Member

I'm okay if they pass on Brown. That whole line is well coached and the players looked much better than they might look on a different team. I don't trust this coaching staff so I need players who have pure skill and talent. Or have spent a lot of team being coached well. Brown was in NE for one season; imagine how he'd fare compared to someone like Nate Solder.

raining threes likes this.
  2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

But don't think you necessarily need to either, especially for the sake of a message board discussion. None of us sat and watched Davenport, Lamm, Wright, etc...individually either, yet think most of us can rightfully conclude that they were not good football players.

Honestly I'm not as confident in Trent Brown as others, afraid we'd be getting another Belichick special but Brown and the Pats OL were excellent in the playoffs, there’s no doubt about that.

raining threes likes this.
  3. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Those stellar run defenses of the Rams (23rd overall) and Chiefs (27th overall)?

I'm not saying he's a solid player, because obviously he is under the Belichick system. But he has struggled against speed edge rushers.

If you compare his penalties to those of a guy like David Bahktiari, this is the comparison:

Trent Brown
    upload_2019-2-13_9-51-1.png
    upload_2019-2-13_9-49-59.png

David Bahktiari
    upload_2019-2-13_9-51-6.png
    upload_2019-2-13_9-50-24.png

Mind you Bahktiari has to go against elite edge rushers in Mack, Griffin/Hunter, and Ansah (not so much this season due to injury).

He held his own no doubt, only 3.5 sacks allowed and 4 holding penalties, but that was against mediocre (at best) pass rushers in his division. He also has the added benefit of playing with a QB with the quickest release and defensive scheme recognition.

I'm not against adding Brown, but I wouldn't expect him to be a power play LT, if/when he is inserted into our offensive line.

True, but my point was more so to the fact that he expected an answer of "yeah, of course I watched Trent Brown playing for the New England Patriots' offensive line throughout the playoffs!".... no one is going to honestly admit to that. I know I sure as hell don't watch the NFL to 'enoy' the battle in the trenches every week.

#283 FLASH21, Feb 13, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    gucci888 likes this.
  4. raining threes

Apparentl you didn't see Buffalo presurring Watson all day last season

Or that the Pats playing a 1st place schedule faced some very good pass rushers. Did you think the Jags had a good pass rush at the beginning of the season when they played? Brown held up very well all year long for the Pats and would be a massive upgrade over the piss poor play of Davenport. Whether you want to admit that or not.

5. raining threes

And yes, I watched Brown very intently during the playoffs and would suggest you do the same before calling me a liar. You might even learn something. Nah, we know that ain't going to happen.

6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

coachbadlee likes this.
  8. Nimo

Nimo Member

I would love this just to see this board explode at them picking a NT before picking up an OT

csj likes this.
  9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I like the Justin Layne pick. I too had him as a 1st round pick for the Texans.

10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I like the draft but Risner won't make it to #54.

11. gucci888

Nice mock drafts summary by Houstontexans.com:

CB, Joejuan Williams, Vanderbilt
    ESPN (Todd McShay) on 2/7

OL Tytus Howard, Alabama State
    NFL.com (Maurice Jones-Drew) on 2/12

OL Andre Dillard, Washington State
    SB Nation (Dan Kadar) on 2/11
    CBS Sports (Chris Trapasso) on 2/8
    Houston Chronicle (John McClain) on 2/7
    NFL.com (Chad Reuter) on 2/5

Pro Football Focus (Mike Renner) on 2/5

OL Cody Ford, Oklahoma
    USA Today on 2/12
    DraftTek on 2/6
    CBS Sports (Ryan Wilson) on 2/5

Bleacher Report (Matt Miller) on 2/4

OL Greg Little, Ole Miss
    Houston Chronicle (Aaron Wilson) on 2/7
    CBS Sports (Will Brinson) on 2/6
    The Athletic (Dane Brugler) on 2/5

NFL.com (Lance Zierlein) on 1/29

OL Jawaan Taylor, Florida
    The Big Lead (Jason McIntyre) on 2/1
    The MMQB (Kalyn Kahler) on 1/29
    The Draft Network (Kyle Crabbs) on 1/28

The Draft Network (Jon Ledyard) on 1/21

OL Yodny Cajuste, West Virginia
    CBS Sports (R.J. White) on 2/11
    Washington Post (John Clayton) on 1/22
    Pro Football Focus (Steve Palazzolo) on 1/15

CB Deandre Baker, Georgia
    NFL.com (Daniel Jeremiah) on 1/18
    The Sporting News (Vinnie Iyer) on 2/8

OL David Edwards, Wisconsin
    DraftTek on 1/30
    Pro Football Weekly (Eric Edholm) on 1/3

CB Byron Murphy, Washington
    SB Nation (Dan Kadar) on 2/4
    ESPN (Mel Kiper, Jr.) on 1/17

https://www.houstontexans.com/news/...yat3Aw3tItbKua5AMSNKQsBVwm3Mpe2p7mPTnB3DqX6D0

12. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I don't like some of the picks they gave us but you did a lot of research and you deserve all the likes.

13. gucci888

Nah just copied and pasted from the site. Pretty interesting though.

14. Nimo

Nimo Member

I'll take Greedy. No way he's available. After that, not really impressed. Another big guard, an overrated CB, an out of nowhere WR that looks like Tyler Ervin, and a good enough RB. He could have just mocked them trading up to take Greedy and picked the others with the remaining picks.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  15. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Would love that draft....that would be a home run draft imo. But deff would draft another O-lineman in the 3rd instead of the Isabella...and Montgomery in the 5th sign me up asap.

16. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Walter latest draft has the Texans passing up on greedy for Baker....and according to Campbell greedy could possibly slip to the 20s because if character issues.

17. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Not passing on another Marcus Peters

Rudyc281 likes this.
  18. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Agree.
    I love Isabella's playmaking ability but durability would be a concern on him in the NFL - he is a smaller guy and will face the cream of the crop in the big league.
    I know some smaller guys have had success in the big time but...
    And the oline and secondary are glaring needs that need high draft picks regardless of offseason acquisitions - unless of course they get multiple quality vets for one group.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  19. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

But to be fair Peters isn’t really the shutdown corner everybody thinks he is.

20. Nimo

Nimo Member

Only two of those guys are exciting: Greedy and Montgomery. Especially now that theyve admitted Rankin is not a tackler, the Texans have too many guards. Senio and Fulton were big time free agency acquisitions that were brought in to start. The last thing they need is another guard they're going to try at tackle. I dont like Mullen. I would rather Love if they're going for a 2nd corner. Or of they want someone with more size, JoeJuan.

Speaking of Greedy,

Rudyc281 likes this.