1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Danuel house IS Overrated here.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Le$$, Feb 14, 2019.

1. farhen

farhen Member

another thread with some 'house' on it :oops:

2. hakeemthagreat

Yea but even if Harden's getting him open looks HE still has to hit the damn shot. As you can see, the team hasn't been hitting them recently. Also, you didn't answer my other question. How exactly does Harden help House defensively? Labeling a guy a "scrub" because he fits a role in our system makes you look like a misinformed idiot fan

ApacheWarrior and Gray_Jay like this.
  3. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

You never saw Walton play …. as much as we all love Big Shot Bob , he's not in Walton's zipcode. That dude dominated the opposition , you cant say that about Horry.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Bobby started some games for the Rockets, did not start much with them Lakers or Spurs.

5. clos4life

clos4life Member

Pay attention, maybe this time you'll get it.

The system, once again, is ideally suited for his strengths. He is helped by James offensively because James is continuously doubled, leaving him wiiiiiide open.

Defensively, because he exerts little effort on offense he has energy to burn (hint: this answers your question). His defense is good but he is much better playing in our system. In another team he is not that good.

BTW, save the childish insults next time. They are unbecoming of you.

D-rock and Gray_Jay like this.
  6. hakeemthagreat

You do realize the "Harden makes him look better" excuse can apply to the whole roster. So you're not really saying anything. Bottom line is its a make or miss league. Regardless of how House gets his shots it's his job to knock them down. While starting he was knocking them down, and STILL doing all the other intangibles defensively. Scrub? Why? Because he doesn't score at will or create his own shot like James? Lol. Fact of the matter is the team is better with House on it

7. clos4life

clos4life Member

Exactly, thank you for making my point. Most of our players are scrubs and yet House is not better than they are. He has sucked down in RGV where the competition is full of scrubs. Without harden to carry him he has sucked and dropped about twenty percent in his shots from 3.

Is he passable? Of course. Would I be okay with him homing back? Yes I would. But ultimately, let's not forget this thread is about whether he's overrated. It is clear, based on his numbers overall that he was hot here for a while in our system which is ideally suited for his strengths with a transcendent Superstar carrying him and when he went back down to the scrubs he played like one.

On this board, by fans like yourself, he is the ultimate definition of overrated.

D-rock likes this.
  8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

His limitations are known, I'm glad you pointed them out, but he was playing more than passable ball.
    Better than Ennis, and Shumpert so far. I posted previously he is not a panacea and not worth the rest of the MLE, but I was unhappy when I saw that Morey initially offered him a 3 year non-guaranteed contract. House also should act maturely and come to a compromise with the Rockets. If that is not possible, Morey should look for better players than him.

fckbandwagons and clos4life like this.
  9. amaru

amaru Member

Looks like House’s “dangerous game” wasn’t that dangerous at all lol

Bo6, D-rock and J Sizzle like this.
  10. hakeemthagreat

Um, we definitely don't agree. Most of our guys aren't scrubs & House is better than a lot of our younger players. Also, its physically impossible for Harden to "carry" anybody on defense (you just made that up). House is a solid defender & works hard on the defensive end. Giving all the credit to James for other players success is lazy. House is a younger more athletic version of PJ

11. clos4life

clos4life Member

Thank you for making my point again. Fans like you are definitely over rating House on a small sample size while his biggest body of work is ignored. So far in his career he has been mediocre.

Getting hot for 20 games does not make you a quality NBA starter.

D-rock likes this.
  12. Red Hova

Red Hova Member

House is a good player that fits our system and that means a lot not overrated. He's a better small forward than Eric Gordon not a better player, but a better small forward.

13. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

I’m very curious if on the 21st we don’t sign House. Who do we sign?

14. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

But he was better than the scrubs we have now. His performance in January showed that. I don't doubt he's overrated at CF, but unlike a lot of the guys we have now, he actually could hit wide open 3s. So James passed it to him.

Now? After the Rockets have spent a month killing his rhythm? I wouldn't be surprised if he couldn't duplicate up in the NBA, this hypothetical second go around, his form from back in January.

Totally self-inflicted wound by Rockets management.

clos4life likes this.
  15. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

That can be applied to everyone on the team outside of Harden. Every player is overrated. Are we going
    to decrease every players salary to $4 million or less? No, but I have suggested that the Rockets can have
    Harden/CP3 salaries and redistribute the salaries of Gordon and Capela to quantity over quality and be more
    successful.

Redistribute the Capela $15.4M, Gordon $13.5M and Shumpert $11M buys a lot of role layers that can
    contribute and be successful.

16. 13BeardsIN1

13BeardsIN1 Member

Terrance Jones...I don't see many options

17. clos4life

clos4life Member

I think Capela is slightly under rated and worth the money but I agree with you regarding Gordon and Shumpert.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  18. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

It’s all in jest. Capela is doing well in the system thanks to prime lobs by CP3/Harden.....but would he do so well with a
    team like say Orlando without good facilitator action? If we ask what would House numbers be elsewhere? Then it’s
    the same question with Capela? Gordon?

Was Ariza worth $15 M because his numbers we’re 12 points a game with Harden last year and now 9.9 pts
    points a game without Harden while playing with Suns?

Bottom line common denominator is Harden.......House with Harden does well, where is Harden going? Nowhere?
    Then House will continue to do well with Houston (Harden). Gordon just mentally lost it this year. Too much crying to refs.

19. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Capela's probably the third or fourth best 5 in this league. And I may be understating his value on this team. (Aside, who would you rather have at the 5, considering KD, AD, and I believe Giannis are 4s.)

His salary is fine. Agree with the rest of your post.

20. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Well I’ve done this song and dance a thousand times....here we go again:
    Capela (18/19):
    https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/capelca01/shooting/2019
    Toggle down to “shot distance” and then “shot type”
    Shot Distance
    @rim: 269 out of 369. Of those 369 at rim 81% were assisted.
    3 to < 10 feet: 46 out of 125. Of those 125 78% were assisted.
    10ft to < 16ft: zero
    So you can see without Harden/CP3 and spac8ng by perimeter shooters, Capela gets little to no points.

Shot Type
    Dunk: 160 out of 175 (91%FG%). Of those 175 attempts 91% were assisted.
    Layup: 120 out of 244 (49%FG%). Of those 244 attempts 70% were assisted.
    Hook Shot: 32 out of 67 (48%FG%). Of those 67 attempts 69% were assisted.
    Jump Shot: 3 out of 13 (23%FG%). Of those 13 attempts 67% were assisted.
    Which means he doesn’t get squat without someone getting him the ball near the rim.
    Orlando can go thru Vucevic because he can get his own points.....I would like to see them go thru Capela.

Unless Capela goes to a team that has shooters and facilitators (spacing) Capela probably isn’t getting squat in the form of points. Same as House.

Capela gets 1.8 blks a game. Faried gets us 1.0 blks a game. Comes out to Faried gets 0.8 blks less a game than Capela. Let’s say for the sake of argument we round Capela blocks up to 2 a game. If we say those are made baskets
    near the rim......equates to 4 points converted. Keep in mind some blocks go out of bounds and the team keeps
    possessions while other blocks go to the opposition for another attempt (possibly made basket). Is 4 points real going to kill the Rockets winnng percentage. Using the same equation Faried only gives up a difference of one basket
    or 2 points........big deal. I’m not saying that Faried is the answer......what I’m saying is many big man can protect the rim
    equally and gets points at the rim with Harden/CP3 setting them up.

Harden carries all teammates. D’Antoni system of facilitator/Screen-n-Roll-man/perimeter shooters gets players
    paid and help their stats.

Would Capela get so many rebounds with less spacing on both the offensive side and defensive side.
    We saw how Steven Adams sacrificed his rebounds in order that Westbrook would get triple-doubles.
    If the Rockets have less spacing....the opposition get more rebounds. Capela possibly gets less. Less
    spacing on offense probably has the Rockets crashing the boards more......meaning less rebounds for
    Capela as more SF’Guards get more rebounds.....denying their teammate (Capela) from getting more
    rebounds.

For every action there is a reaction. What Capela gets in Houston may not translate to another team.
    Because Harden and CP3 won’t travel with him to those other teams.

Gray_Jay likes this.