1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Mexico City safe?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jackfruit, Dec 13, 2012.

1. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Without diving into racial politics, it may perhaps be surprising to some that there are many Mexicans who are as white as any American white.

But, you'll see more of those in Mexico City than in the border towns (not that I've ever been to one or anything :rolleyes:).

Mexico City is, to me, like a major European city. It couldn't be more different than the smaller towns that are just south of the Rio Grande.

And no, I'm not knocking either. They all have their virtues (and vices, one supposes). :D

2. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A few other recommendations that I forgot about:
    • The museum scene in Mexico City is spectacular. The National Museum of Anthropology is a must-see if you enjoy history. Look up information on how to see various Rivera murals painted throughout the city, too. I haven't been to the Trotsky museum in Coyoacán, but I bet it's interesting if you enjoy that history.
    • I've heard you can take an Uber to the pyramids at Teotihuacan. Do some research on this before you commit to it, but that could be a more comfortable option than riding a bus. Also try to get there early; they can get pretty hot and sunny during the afternoon.
    • Fonart is a great store for traditional handicrafts. The hook is that it's run by the government and some of the money is guaranteed to go back to the artists who made the work. We stopped at a couple of locations since the store on Reforma is a bit small. The location on Avenida Patriotismo is a lot larger.

hvic and Kruze10 like this.
  3. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i cant remember which one we did, but there are tour groups/charter buses that go from the city center to teotihuacan. they allow a few hours to walk around then take you back. it was pretty easy and not a bad ride at all. the real eye opener was once you get outside the city center and are driving though miles and miles of people living in 3rd world conditions - houses made of scrap metal, people living in cities of garbage, illegal electric line taps everywhere. it went on for miles. ive been all over mexico, but never really seen anything like that anywhere else.

Kruze10 likes this.
  4. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Lol, just take a trip to Mount Rushmore or the Grand Canyon. You’ll be safe and cozy there.

Joking... Enjoy your trip!

5. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

6. Buck Turgidson

What Cohete Mojo says is always fun. Good luck with all that.

7. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I'd rather go to Mexico City than Playa Del Carmen. Last time I was there one of the cartels blew up the ferry.

Nook likes this.
  8. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I stayed at Pennsylvania Suites in Mexico City and used Uber everywhere except for teotihuacan. When I went to teotihuacan I used the public bus system. I fealt safe the entire time I was there. I would recommend that if anyone takes the bus to teotihuacan that you pay attention to the portal the bus drops you off at and understand that the bus will not pick you up at the same portal.

9. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Went last year and of course you have to stay in the right areas. I felt super safe and Mexico City by far has some of the best dining options the world has to offer. Pujol and Kyo are absolutely some of the best in the world. Quintonil was a little overrated but I did some Mexican industrialist type people in there.

10. Nook

Nook Member

You are not going to be super safe anywhere.

As a foreigner, you are going to have some level of risk everywhere you go as you are a target.

Mexico isn't as bad as a lot of places I have been in the Middle East, Eastern Europe or even in parts of the East.

Still, you have to remember you are a visitor and you have to use common sense. Do not get drunk. Do not agree to go anywhere with someone you do not know. Do not purchase drugs and do not cause a scene.

It was over a decade ago, I had a taxi in Mexico City take me to the exact opposite area where I requested to go, and about half way there that taxi ride ended rather quickly.

Still, I would suggest a visit to Mexico City for cautious people. If you are worried, go to Canada or the UK.