1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Oscar Nominations 2019

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GRENDEL, Jan 22, 2019.

1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

If Black Panther got nominated then Infinity War should be nominated too. Thanos should have a best actor nomination also.

2. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

There's no hatred for Black Panther. People just want to comment on its actual merits of being an average movie instead of being hailed as the best movie ever.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Essentially Josh Brolin.

4. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

[​IMG]

justtxyank, heypartner and Ziggy like this.
  5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

6. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

I'm not sure if Black Panther deserved to be nominated for Best Picture, but it was 1,000x better than Bohemian Rhapsody. The musical scenes and Malik's performance were epic, but the movie was turrible. I'm not looking for documentary-level reporting, but it played so fast and loose with the facts that it is tough to take seriously.

Buck Turgidson and GRENDEL like this.
  7. GRENDEL

I agree with that, it's felt more like they just jammed portions of the Queen story into the most generic band biopic.....I was pretty underwhelmed by the film outside of Malik's performance.

Hammer755 likes this.
  8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Odd thing is that people act like Black Panther transcends super hero movie status and is some pretentious elitist dribble. Black Panther is too fun to be Best Picture.

Caveat: My ability to watch Oscar-worthy movies has taken a nose-dive the past decade or so. I almost gave them a little more credit when Hidden Figures was nominated, but alas it did not win.

9. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

It was a clear case of history being written by the survivors. Did you know that the guitar player was an astrophysicist and the drummer was a dentist? If you watched this film you certainly remember it.

10. GRENDEL

Totally, it's cast pretty much everything in the best possible light.

I knew that in general but if all my knowledge was from the movie, I wouldn't have had the slightest idea.

Ultimately, too many segments reminded me of Walk Hard......

[​IMG]

Hammer755 likes this.
  11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

BlackKklansman was freaking awful. It has no business being nominated for anything. At least Black Panther was entertaining and became sort of a cultural phenomenon.

12. CallMeTheDream

I’m black and I hated black panther lol. The worst part is I didn’t see it till September after hearing from everyone and their mother how it was an all time great film. So many cringeworthy scenes and bad acting(specifically Michael B. Jordan). All the praise it got seemed forced as hell.

Newlin and donkeypunch like this.
  13. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I saw blackkklansman last night, and I thought it was pretty good. It definitely doesn’t strike me as a best picture candidate. Like, what is super memorable about it? But it was entertaining and interesting enough to make me think about it a little after it was over (and look up some things on Wikipedia)

Kind of surprised you hated it that much. Can I ask what you didn’t like about it?

14. Buck Turgidson

If Beale Street Could Talk
    Paddington 2
    Cold War
    Sorry to Bother You
    Hereditary
    First Man
    could all be nominated instead of Black Panther or Bohemian Rhapsody. Just saying

#34 Buck Turgidson, Jan 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    HeWhoIsLunchbox and GRENDEL like this.
  15. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Perhaps due to my expectations with it being a Spike Lee film, I expected it to be funny but aside from a scene or two I didn't find it very funny at all and certainly not edgy or in your face. It felt to me like it didn't do anything very well.

16. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Spike Lee deserves it and will win. It's his career achievement win kinda like Scorsese, Beck and Daft Punk won their respective prizes for works not really their best. And while Spike has had some duds (Girl 6, Da Sweet Blood of Jesus, Chiraq) he has three straight up masterpieces. Do the Right Thing, Malcolm x and 25th Hour are American classics. A notch below that he has Summer of Sam, Inside Man, Clockers, He Got Game & She's Gotta Have it.

Everyone always focuses on the racial politics of his films and they overlook what a gifted craftsman and storyteller he is. He's fantastic with actors too/ Black or white. He's gotten career performances from Denzel, Danny Aiello, Johm Leguizamo, the entire cast of 25th Hour (except PSH)...the list goes on.

Blackkklansman is middle tier Spike with a great performance from Driver. But nevertheless Spike Should win it.

17. Buck Turgidson

I would say that SoSam, Inside Man and Clockers are right up there with the others, possibly my 3 favorite movies of his along with Do the Right Thing.

Not sure I agree with the "career achievement" you're talking about, I'd rather him win it for his next really good movie, although I did like this one a lot.

18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

2015 - Selma

What do I win? :)

Juxtaposed Jolt likes this.
  19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Revived Bryan Singer smear campaign full steam ahead. Just in time for the Oscars. No awards for Bohemian.

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

No Oscar's Thread this year . . . @GRENDEL - You slacking?

Rocket River

GRENDEL and daywalker02 like this.