1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A new app I made for you to stop getting spam emails.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by gatsby, Jan 16, 2019.

1. gatsby

gatsby Member

Hey guys —

Hope this is okay to post but I think nearly everyone has this issue…

I’ve been working on a new app called Margin to help people take back control of their inbox.

Don’t want marketing emails? Turn them off. All. Of. Them.

Only want marketing emails from Fanatics because they send you great sales on Harden jerseys? Cool, you can customize by the brand too.

Our users get an "email alias" (like a P.O. Box) to give to brands/retailers/etc. Anytime your alias gets an email sent to it, it either intelligently auto-forwards (or stops!) emails to your personal email address based on your filters you set with a tap.

Here’s a link to download Margin. Would love for you try it out — it’s only iOS right now (sorry Android folks).

Thanks CF!

2. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

You should lead that it's with iOS because I was on board until that moment. Haha. Hit me up once Android beta lands.

CCity Zero and ramotadab like this.
  3. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

This sounds familiar. Has this been tried before?

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Not that everyone uses gmail, but your process sounds pretty similar to feature sets gmail already provides.
    An email alias+ filters.

For anyone that doesn't know, you can use your gmail address with a + already.

For example: john.smith+walmart@gmail.com would still go to john.smith@gmail.com

CCity Zero likes this.
  5. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I did not know this and will be trying it accordingly. Thanks.

6. gatsby

gatsby Member

Haha sorry! Will do.

We've never seen anyone do it this way.

We're pretty different than that respectfully. The "+" method requires you to manually create filters for each sender by going into Gmail settings to do that, and you can't do it by message type (i.e. receipts v. marketing).

With Margin, you can just turn on toggles for specific senders for specific message types, and soon, you can do it by sale % (only get the email if Best Buy sale is 30%+ off).

Thanks all for the feedback!

7. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

8. gatsby

gatsby Member

In Gmail, you can manually create filters in the Settings tab (i.e. so make john.smith+walmart@gmail.com » Automatically Archive). We learned in our research that virtually no one wants to go in and manually create these filters each time.

donkeypunch likes this.
  9. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Will it stop all my unwanted emails from Waitr?

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Responding to this but for your prior response too.

Yes I can see the added value for sure. I wasn’t trying to discount what you’re doing as much as questioning it’s value in search of a response. So thank you.

I think this point is accurate too probably about setting up filters. I’m certainly not interested in doing that a ton.

So I guess the question will be ultimately how much AI you have. I’d assume you’ll definitely be easier off the bat but I also don’t want to set up a ton of filters in a third party app either. Or even download the third party app. Remember it’s all kind of a “chore” and getting me or any customer to hit download is tough!

11. Bob Barker 007

How does Margin differentiate itself from existing services like Unroll.me? Do you sell data to third parties? What security measures do you take for stored email addresses?

12. gatsby

gatsby Member

Sure, it'll stop any emails you want.

Definitely agree it's a tough space! But as the average person gets 200+ marketing emails a day, we're seeing that within days or weeks we can cut that dramatically by many multiples and then you only get the emails you actually want. That's worth it we hope. :)

Unroll.me simply "rolls up" your emails into a daily digest, even ones you don't want. We're taking a different approach by helping you to allow/stop emails entirely.

We're very transparent about our privacy and data, and even include it in our onboarding. We do not sell any data that can be traced back to you as a person. We do take data, de-identify and anonymize it, and have that available for sale as general market research trends (i.e. more people get marketing emails from Walmart than Target). We do not store the email body (the content) nor do we have any login credentials to your email accounts like Gmail, etc.

Bob Barker 007 likes this.
  13. likestohypeguy

Next level spamming: margin, the spam blocker, is itself an email spammer. This is the same guy who was making pop up blocker advertisements that came to you in pop ups!

:mad:

14. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Can it also block @CCorn from sending me nudes?

15. CCorn

CCorn Member

I donated to be able to upload attachments to my DMs on this site, and dammit I’m going to get my monies worth