1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So I might become a dad tomorrow...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RKREBORN, Jan 4, 2019.

1. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Wife and I most likely having our first baby tomorrow. Full term. I'm beyond nervous lol. Any advice from any veteran husbands/first time dads out there?

#1 RKREBORN, Jan 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Scratch your balls, get drunk and watch the Texas in peace one last time.

Your life is now over. Your wife will understand.

Congrats!

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Here’s some advice. Why induce? Is there a danger? Why not wait another week? (Unless youve already done such).

I’m not a hippie or anything .... just there can be risks to induction of course.

I could give you a **** ton more advice but better just to say congrats and enjoy it!

4. CCorn

CCorn Member

The resell value peaks at birth.

Deckard likes this.
  5. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Safety thing. Wife is tiny, baby is huge. Doc said not a good combo

6. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Make sure youre selling to the highest bidder and always only take straight cash.....

[​IMG]

7. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

You're in good hands. I would say, as tense and excited as you are, she is 10 times that at all times. So don't **** up.

She might curse your existence repeatedly. Depends on when the epidural kicks in. You are going to be horrified at times. Poker face. Stiff upper lip. Be an emotionless dunce in this case. You can get away with it because it will come off as calming.

theimpossibles1 and RKREBORN like this.
  8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Be prepared to potentially hear your wife scream as you've never had before. Enjoy it, make sure your family knows what you want in terms of who's coming in the room when and doing what etc.

We had our child at a birthing center so I can't comment on how the hospital will go, I think you're going to have a 24-48 hour minimum stay so make sure you bring the stuff you need.

It's a surreal experience, hope everything goes perfectly for yall.

RKREBORN likes this.
  9. Jontro

Jontro Member

say goodbye to good night's sleep for the forseeable future. also the name jontro is a rising star name, just do it.

RKREBORN likes this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

11. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

Your family and hers. We didn't want anyone in there until everything was done and then some. Drove them bonkers, but oh well.

RKREBORN and ThatBoyNick like this.
  12. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

Congrats!!!!!

RKREBORN likes this.
  13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Breathe and don't lock your knees. I think I almost passed out the first time my wife pushed a baby out. It blew my mind.

A thought like this went through my head: "WTF?!?! NOW THERE IS A HUMAN HERE THAT WASN'T HERE A FEW SECONDS AGO! AND IT'S A HUMAN THAT IS 100% DEPENDENT ON ME??? FUUUUUUCK."

The hospital stay will go well. Nurses will help you.

When you get home you need to be a prick about who can and can't see the baby. Is mom ****ing tired as hell but has to breast feed and not in the mood for company? Sorry, folks, gtfo. Did your guests not get their flu shot? Sorry not sorry you dipshits, gtfo. Oh, you drove in from San Antonio? Too ****ing bad. GTFO and long 2-pointers are stupid.

Parents of toddlers / older kids will be the worst, because they've forgotten what it's like to have a newborn and think they know everything about having a kid. You'll ask if they are sick and they will say No and then they'll show up and one of them is sick. "Oh, yeah my son is sick but it's not too bad." Stupid **** like that.

Also, of course, these people will give you all the advice you never asked for. So be ready for some passive-aggressive comments about how you're doing things wrong. Of course, you won't actually be doing anything wrong, but some people love to be little b****es and can't help themselves.

But as you know by now, or will know soon, none of that pettiness matters. You are about to meet the most perfect and beautiful human you have ever seen. It will be amazing and will be the best thing that has ever happened to you. Enjoy today!

14. Jontro

Jontro Member

the second you hear your child cry, it's like it unlocks a new type of happiness you've never felt before #achievementunlock

for me the moment my marriage became legal and the birth of my child were 2 of those unique moments.

15. jcf

jcf Member

Looking back? Enjoy it. Help your wife as much as possible. Let the grandparents play a role if they are willing. Don't get mad if they aren't. Change diapers. Try to absorb/remember as much as possible. Congrats!

MadMax and RKREBORN like this.
  16. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

lotta wisdom in this one. anyway, congrats! and enjoy the ride

RKREBORN likes this.
  17. cheke64

cheke64 Member

How old are you? I've noticed that old parents are out of touch with reality and modern society.

18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Congrats man!

Your life is going to change, forever, for the better. You might fight it subconsciously for a while, but once you embrace being a responsible parent, it's amazing. Your buddies who don't have kids won't get that your priorities are different- be prepared to just grow apart until they do.

I have three kids so Imma gon' lay some wisdom on you.

• -We have one rule for parenting - don't F them up. If you have to make a decision, trust you gut.

• -Sleep- set up your expectations with your lady now. If she's breast feeding, you can't do much at night. Set up a schedule to let her take naps during the day. If you're bottle feeding, set up a nightly schedule. Here's the important part: when you CAN sleep, wear earplugs. When she can sleep, have her wear earplugs.

[​IMG]

• Every kid is different. Your kid's personality will surface soon enough. Some are chill, some are maniacs. You have to adapt. You can't fit them into YOUR ideal of a kid.

• F what everyone else says and thinks. Again, trust your gut.

• The baby will sleep in your room for six months. It's recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics. At the 5-7 month range MOVE the kid to it's own room. If you wait longer, you will have a kid in your bed when they are five years old. Sleep training is easy- use the 5-6-7-8-9-10 rule (google it). The parent who isn't sleep training should wear earplugs and sleep.

• Don't take the baby to a movie. Don't be that guy.
    Good luck and again, congrats!

RKREBORN and theimpossibles1 like this.
  19. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

One more thing about the hospital stay, take advantage of it. The nurses will help change the baby, let them while you're in there. They also have some diapers and such there, use them up. Maybe even put some in the to go bag and say you need some more.

RKREBORN likes this.
  20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Probably too late but to me that makes inducing even worse.

Bigger chance of tearing. Not good. With a small wife and big baby you probably want a nice slow steady delivery... assuming the baby is healthy.