1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Shams] Rockets emerge as possible suitor for Lakers’ Kentavious Caldwell-Pope

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Man I hope you are right … I don't want to give up a draft pick for that guy.

If I'm giving up a pick for a guy in the last year of his contract , he better come with bird rights giving us the ability to resign him over the cap … KCP makes more than the MLE so that wouldn't keep him around and you could use that elsewhere if the player you acquire comes with bird rights.

raining threes and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  2. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

I'm sure he's had great stretches. However, consider for a moment that these Lakers have KCP, Stephenson, Ingram and Lebron. They don't need a backup wing, so this must be an upgrade in their eyes. Stephenson has been averaging 14 minutes per game so it's not like they're looking to upgrade him in the rotation. They are apparently interested in trading KCP for Ariza straight up, contracts both expiring and in a similar price range.

According to cherry picked advanced metrics bandied about on this board, Ariza was not good enough and Ennis is not good enough on defense. Why are the Lakers doing this then? They only have Hart and Ingram to play the 2. They have Lebron, Stephenson and Ingram as big forwards. What do they need Ariza for? Is last season's Ariza better than what KCP and Stephenson are giving them, because the Suns' Ariza is certainly not (if you believe in that kind of ridiculous evaluation).

To put it simply: are we not getting a lesser Ariza @ $12m in this trade? Why are the Lakers - winners of 15 of their last 20 games - trading their best defender for the apparently depleted Ariza?

The implication is: how is getting a lesser Ariza going to make difference if Ariza wasn't good enough + we are thin at backup PG + we would be out of any decent assets outside the rotation to upgrade this roster. The Lakers are in theory our direct competitors. We are not going to keep KCP, he will be an unrestricted FA and we will still be struggling with the cap. If he plays well, we lose him. If he plays poorly, nothing mattered and we're out a pick.

I'm not saying this is not a good long term strategy. I'm just saying it looks like we are giving up on this season, except in the event an unfathomable buyout candidate breaks loose and Tilman shocks the world by authorizing the use of most/all of the MLE to outbid teams that can offer better situations. This is starting to look like a "hope the team catches fire at the right time + the Warriors have an injury/implosion" kind of season.

AND IF IT IS, then I recommend the Rockets go full throttle and dump Gordon's contract for a a late first or early 2nd. We need young knife fighters locked up for a significant portion of time. There is no point half-assing it right now just to give the illusion of title contention to keep ticket sales up.

3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

This would be a pretty good buy low situation. Dudes only 25 still, and has shown his talent.

I believe we could offer him a starting salary of up to 14.4 million (over 60 million for 4 years) with non bird rights if he works out here, which to say we should be able to easily retain him if we want.

I'd do Knight and a lotto protected 1st for him.

tc0330, Corrosion and joshuaao like this.
  4. Scola Scoops

Scola Scoops Member

Given the jersey numbers of Ariza and KCP, this could ultimately be seen as a "1-for-1" exchange on our roster ;)

Rocket River likes this.
  5. basketballholic

Yup. I'm the only person talking about Capela leaving. Do not forget it.

6. basketballholic

SD is in trade talks. Nets are shopping him....and Russell. Just like we're shopping (and willing to move) Knight, EGo, and Capela. And there is some synergy here. Carroll/Dinwiddie/Ed all in play for us.

#226 basketballholic, Dec 13, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  7. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Ariza provides veteran leadership and championship mettle. KCP is a young athletic wing that can shoot the 3. Lakers already have a few of those. And the Rockets could sure use more of ‘em.

Looks like Ariza to the Lakers is a matter of when, not if. If HOU can get a upgrade to the rotation by inserting itself in the deal, we should explore that option.

We’d be able to re-sign KCP for up to $14 MM if we so desired, which is the higher end of what he’d fetch on the open market

8. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

i like dinwiddie & carroll..both are serviceable..i wonder who’s coming to replace Capela?

9. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I agree overall with your sentiments of multiple long wings preferable to multiple shorter guards.

And I've been a big proponent that rebounding, or lack thereof, is a huge reason for our defensive failures.

The truth is tho, today in mid december, we are the 14th seed and 2 games under 500.

I'm more concerned currently with righting the ship and getting back on track and in the playoff picture.

And, ultimately, the best way to do that is to field the most talent possible.

Right now we need to win games.

I agree and think we should target wings, it's just they are more expensive and a higher commodity. Most teams will likely hold off until the deadline to extract the most value for players like Terrance Ross and Demarre Carroll.

We cant be picky and wait right now. We need to be able to acquire what's available and what's available with our asset pool, likely isnt long wing defenders.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  10. raining threes

Capela just signed a big contract and is an improving young big, yet Morey is trying to move him? Right.

Mabye for a star level player Butler I could see this happening. I'm using Butler as an example.

topfive likes this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

12. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Maybe Ariza's numbers are down this year because he doesn't have CP3 and Harden getting him more wide open looks.

BaselineFade likes this.
  13. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

We’re not targeting him. Shams got bad info

14. tc0330

tc0330 Member

in all honesty, we probably gonna get KCP. so we should start trying to figure out how tf its gonna work out lol

15. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

I'd still like to see what Brandon Knight can do for this team.

Little Bit and TheRocketfan like this.
  16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

edit, nm

#236 heypartner, Dec 13, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  17. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

A part of me is just happy to add anyone really, all these other teams making moves and we're just sitting here waiting and hoping this team figures it out. Another part of me is hoping they remain patient and don't blow whatever picks and assets we have on scrub players.

I think I would rather wait but there really isn't much out there that the Rockets can seriously get.

BigMaloe and tc0330 like this.
  18. 13BeardsIN1

13BeardsIN1 Member

I think Morey investigated the idea of KCP but I still think we trade for someone that has not been mentioned in the mainstream media.
    Someone like MKG, Taurean Prince

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  19. HP3

HP3 Member

I'm cool with MKG, impact defenders even if their offense sucks(See Andre Roberson) have a place on the floor.

20. 13BeardsIN1

13BeardsIN1 Member

Agreed, MKG is Tony Allen for this generation. His PER is 17.4, I know everybody doesn't love that stat, but for a player with limited offensive skills, thats really high.

HP3 likes this.