1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bye Net Neutrality

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by wizkid83, Nov 21, 2017.

1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

They'll boil the frog. 10 years from now defenders of this will just say "These changes would have happened no matter what"

Sweet Lou 4 2 and B-Bob like this.
  3. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Another poster has been urging me not to be negative, so I have a positive idea for overcoming the future nightmare: we need to circumvent ISP's as much as possible by making every cell phone a hotspot. Bounce things from phone to phone like the Tor browser does.

4. Swish4fives

Swish4fives Member

I think people already do that. It's called meshnet i think but I'm not sure of the quality on those networks

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

LOL. I like it.

Not sure if you watch the show Silicon Valley, but I think that's what they are trying to develop in the show. That show does seem to mirror what is being talked about as a development opp in the tech industry though.

I'd be interested to see what VC firms are seeing in potential value of tech that can potentially compete with ISP's. Haven't heard much about what companies are seriously developing this tech though. I would think that it would be widely popular and get heavy crowd funding though.

6. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

no ****. thats what i just told you above. The point was to show that the current administration is not implementing NN. The one practice that had been found to be violating NN, zero rating, was ignored. NN has been ignored since Trump took office.

this article is telling you exactly what i did. ISPs are violating NN and it doesn't matter because the new administration (Trump) isn't enforcing it. If nobody is enforcing it, it doesn't really exist.

They already where.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy...-att-and-verizon-of-violating-net-neutrality/

nobody noticed. nobody cared.

#506 tallanvor, Jun 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  7. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

This seems worthy of floating this thread back up:
    https://www.cnet.com/news/fccs-net-neutrality-ddos-story-falls-apart-ajit-pai-blames-previous-admin/

FCC finally admits that the "DDoS attack" line was complete BS. Not that anyone except conservative wingnuts ever believed that in the first place.

Along with all the proven fraud in the comments system, this will not put Ajit Pai's FCC in a positive light in court.

For bonus points, Pai's attempt to somehow blame Obama for this is utterly hysterical.

JeffB likes this.
  8. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Another thing that Make America Great Again.

9. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Because of course, throttling doesn't happen...

Verizon throttled fire department’s “unlimited” data during Calif. wildfire
    https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy...rtments-unlimited-data-during-calif-wildfire/

10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Eh, that is unrelated to net neutrality. Throttling all usage is fine. It is unequally throttling that net neutrality is supposed to prevent.

Embarrassing for Verizon to not have lifted the cap for an emergency, but that is it.

Drexlerfan22 likes this.
  11. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

I do agree with this. NN is a big and important issue to me, but data caps isn't really a NN issue. More like an FTC issue, because you're shouldn't be able to market something as "unlimited" that's... you know... limited. So this might be the start of the slow death of limited plans that are called unlimited, but nothing to see here on NN.

Of course, the misinformation campaign from industry lobbyists and the FCC themselves is so insane, that if the legislators think that pretending this is a NN issue will help move the needle, turnabout is fair play I guess.

12. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

The media fear mongers. What else is new?

cml750 likes this.
  13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I hope you have the opportunity to shake Putin's hand one day.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Idiots like yourself celebrating their own stupidity without realizing it?

15. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Am I become death?

16. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

What's an ignorant headline by CNN, as ignorant as someone that think they would immediately see or not see impact and it's business as usual after repeal.

Just look up a few posts about boiling the frog. That hopefully is easy to understand.

BTW, the official repeal of net neutrality is on 6/11/18.

17. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I will enjoy my ISP rate cut (while enjoying the improved service and content) I didn't get alongside the tax cut and raise I didn't get from the corporate and 1% tax cut...

mdrowe00 likes this.
  18. tallanvor

A year without net neutrality and the internet is faster.

Who is supposed to read this article when we are all dead because no net neutrality?

Again. Net neutrality has not been enforced since trump took office. Every isp knows this.

I will enjoy the moving of the goal posts for the next ten years as nothing changes.

19. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

Internet is faster because there is a thing call technology advancement. Are you in any tech field?

NN rules didn’t ends until recently. Are you arguing against that simple fact?

20. tallanvor

Techniqually they were gone a few months ago, but in reality, which is what matters, NN has been gone for two years. If it's not enforced and everyone knows it, then it doesnt exist.

Tech advancement you say? I was told this was the end of the internet by everyone from CNN to planned parenthood .