1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Update: James Ennis Hamstring Injury

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I am fine with Ennis. I just wish he would rebound better. To his credit, he has improved in that area of the last few games.

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

He was "effectively" sold as an Ariza replacement quality role playing 3&D starting wing to get 30+ mpg a night.

Instead, as you note, he's earned his minimum salary.

He makes sense off the bench.

sammy and Mathloom like this.
  3. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

This money argument is completely stupid. If you're starting, you should be judged as a starter on a contending team, not based on how much money you make. "Hey, Tucker is making less money than Harden. We shouldn't expect so much out of him." That's an asinine way to look at it. When you're playing significant minutes for a team with high expectations, you're going to get judged.

4. hakeemthagreat

Ennis is exactly what I thought he was from preseason, high energy defender but not necessarily disciplined enough to stay outta foul trouble. He gambles way too much. He also doesn't keep his man in front of him. Ariza is one of the most intelligent defenders in the NBA

5. farhen

farhen Member

cheer on the bench and wait for Ariza to comeback

6. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Some morons are scapegoating him to cover for Gordons crap shooting.

If Gordon was playing like last season we would be 18-8

7. Loneyroy7

Loneyroy7 Member

Defense will improve. Ennis can't stay in front of average penetrators.

8. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

This guy is a bench player that Rockets have been forcing to be a starter.

The strongest indication that he cannot be a starter is that he is foul prone. He cant stay on the court.

Other indicator? He is simply not good enough to be a starter for a contender. But then again, we are not contending so I guess...

9. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

The turn around is here! Morey was right we were only a hamstring away.

10. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

He tries his darnest but ennis is just a butter fingers

Its rare to see a hustle player be so bad at getting loose balls

11. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

That sounds like a reason to be critical of Morey, rather than being critical of Ennis.

Ennis played 23 minutes for 45 games last season. There were so many teams looking for 3&D wings this summer. Ennis got the minimum. At best, we were going to get an MLE level player, and we did. He is exactly an average player. Average at shooting, defense, rebounding, everything. That's imo excellent value, but even if people disagree with that it's not his fault. No one can make the argument that he's a bad player. I wish he would hit more of his FT's and grab more rebounds but you gotta live with some things at the minimum salary.

Just like the premise Anderson should have played like a $20m player. This too was a ridiculous notion, to **** on the guy as if he doesn't WANT to be worth $20m. That's a Morey screw up. Thinking Ennis would be enough to replace Ariza/Moute is also a Morey screw up - although I don't think for a second Morey ever thought that to be the case. Morey reiterated so many times that Ennis is better than we think (and he's having a career season) and that this team is not the team that's going to the playoffs (indicating he's aware there are holes that need to be filled). Ennis is doing his job, and to me it looks like he is slowly but surely improving and this hamstring of his has been a problem all season so I commend him for his effort. He's having the best season of his career while the team collapses around him.

I just can't bear seeing another post blaming him for anything. Ennis would be the primary backup wing on the Warriors right now, he is playing better than Iguodala. He would also get meaningful rotation minutes for the Sixers, Pelicans, Kings, Lakers, Spurs, Thunder, Clippers, Grizzlies. >> all teams looking down at us in the standings.

This team is not an underperforming role player away from winning even 50+ games. If Ennis grabbed 2 more rebounds and made 10 more FT's on the season, we would still be sub .500 right now. This team's leadership is choking. The people who are not earning their pay and status right now are Tilman, Morey, MDA, Harden and Paul. They need to decide if we're planning for now or the future, I'm ok with either. But they can't be half-assing this for the purposes of selling tickers and saving money.

SuperKev and hakeem94 like this.
  12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Wow, another unfortunate injury. The greenhouse will have to work over time along with junior Clark Kent.
    It remains to be seen if the Dark Knight will be ready or not. Go Rockets!

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

14. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

house and Eric Gordon better

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

Enn15clubber at the 2-yard line.

But has Enn15clubber been made obsolete?

16. macan

macan Member

i don't want him to start..he may mess up our current chemistry.
    he should be a bench player come in with the second units

GotGame15, RyanB and saleem like this.
  17. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

Please no...Stay away.

18. Roxs-Redemption

Could be closer than NYE

PS. I'd put him as coming off the bench too, House Jr energy to start the game has provided us more grit to the game. The lineup will change again once CP3 returns.

RyanB likes this.
  19. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

Is the rockets bench becoming more competent?

Rocket River, GotGame15 and TRIQSTER like this.