1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[WSJ] The Houston Rockets Have a Warriors Hangover

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Os Trigonum, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"But what makes the Rockets such a tragicomic mess is that they may be undone by the very thing that once made them so compelling. They had the audacity to build a team to beat the Warriors at a time when they seemed unbeatable. It may have broken them instead. There are executives around the NBA who can’t help but conclude that being so close to a monumental upset had lingering effects on these Rockets."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-houston-rockets-have-a-warriors-hangover-11544630118

2. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

I’ve heard this a couple times, and maybe it’s true for Harden & CP3, but I still think Morey and his inability to keep the team’s defensive 3&D identity intact is the root cause.

RyanB likes this.
  3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

No we don't. We don't have Ariza and Luc

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Worriers have a minor hangover themselves.

Plowman, Tfor3, cbs1507 and 2 others like this.
  5. gotsis

gotsis Member

Great article. We don't have the mental fortitude of Spurs when they lost dramatically vs the heat and regrouped to win it next year.

It's part mental, but it's not only that. CP3 is declining faster than we expected and we lost talent we never recouped.

6. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

I buy some of this. Seems logical after the season they had last year, and the tragic way it ended. Nothing we can do about Trev and Luc being gone. Team chemistry was nearly perfect last year. Now they don’t seem to be playing for each other. Key players missing, injuries, lack of effort and intensity, lack of defense and rebounding, lack of shooting ect along with this “hangover” may all be the perfect storm for this sort of historical decline.

If this teams funk can be attributed to last seasons horrific ending, then Morey has to trade a key piece in order to bring in some fresh and hungry blood. The fresh blood also needs to be able shoot, rebound, defend, have have IQ and heart. Tall task.

I believe that whatever decision(s) Morey makes from here will define his legacy. He can try to fix it, tank, or just ride this out. Super star talents are not easy to come by as Morey well knows. If we tank and waste Harden’s prime by hoping some random rookie will develop fast enough to help us win a championship is quite a risk.

I personally think EG is gone. He has to be this year’s “Otis Thorpe “ in order for this window of opportunity to have any chance of being salvaged. If not we will be back in basketball purgatory for the next decade while we search for the next star who wants to come to Houston.

I would rather he throw a Hail Mary and go for it now.

D-rock, saleem, HP3 and 5 others like this.
  7. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Article speaks the truth and it's evident in their play this season. Any team with Harden, CP3 (even a declining CP3), Capela, Gordon and Tucker should not be below .500.

saleem and heypartner like this.
  8. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

except if they have tanked to raise the value of picks for the dagger trade

JoeBarelyCares and RyanB like this.
  9. macan

macan Member

we peaked too fast

Tha TC and Hustle Town like this.
  10. darksoul35

darksoul35 Member

We will still be a top 3 seed.

jamisonrocket likes this.
  11. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I can’t disagree, but I still am happy we went for it last year, even if this is the consequence.

D-rock, mikol13, Deuce and 9 others like this.
  12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think there is some merit to this.
    1. I think it is not WE ALMOST HAD IT . . .but more THEY STOLE IT FROM US . . . f*Cking REFS ... . . .so what's the point? They climbing out of it
    2. We lost SOME talent - but I think we lost more experience and cohesiveness
    Integrating the new parts has not been smooth . .. nor should we have expected it to be
    3. CP3 and EGO are slumping a bit
    4. Over extending Tuck and Capela in minutes
    5. FREEDOM OF MOVEMENT rules affecting our defense (some how I feel this was made specifically for the Rockets . . .. )

Rocket River

slothy420, saleem, napalm06 and 4 others like this.
  13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Amen, especially on #5.

saleem and Rudyc281 like this.
  14. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

6. The West is currently broken. Teams 1-14 are separated by 5 games in the loss column.

Tha TC likes this.
  15. Reeko

Reeko Member

never seen the word “tragicomic” used in a sentence before...u see something new every day

anyways, yeah, I fully believe that this team knows that last year was special and their shot to win it all...the team has gotten worse and now the passion and fight is gone

saleem and heypartner like this.
  16. tc0330

tc0330 Member

na they just know the NBA doesnt want the rox to win so why even try

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

We could also say that Ariza is the embodiment of the "Warriors Hangover", so he left for easier pastures, and there was nothing Morey was able to do about it.

Reports are indeed that Ariza really took the loss hard. Maybe more than anyone else.

payaso likes this.
  18. SuraGotMadHops

Absolutely this! I am sure they have to be feeling this way. Hell, just as a fan I've been checked out this season because my distrust of the NBA front office and the refs has me feeling like "what's the point?"

19. Garner

Garner Member

Totally agreed! Losing Ariza while resigning Capela, CP3 cost this team 30 wins!

bj3175 likes this.
  20. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

YES- even after CP went down the league STILL had to step in and assist the Worriers in winning the WCF. It is sad.

Another contributing factor is the cowardly GMs/owners/coaches that would rather sit back and let the Worriers dominance play out, rather than actually try to dethrone them. They would rather the Worriers win AGAIN than to suffer the jealousy of another team doing what they could not.

When you have GMs / coaches / teams that are too afraid to trade with the Rockets for fear of making the Rockets better it tells you all you need to know about this league.

What's the next best thing to the Worriers collapsing? Watching/helping their only serious threat (Rockets) come unglued.

When the league has to step in and assist the Worriers in taking down the cp3-less rockets- that tells you all you need to know about this rigged/sissy league.

bj3175, slothy420, napalm06 and 2 others like this.