1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Sep 23, 2016.

?

Should we fire Bill O'Brien?

1. Yes

76.0%
  2. No

15.9%
  3. Abstain (for the moment)

8.2%
  1. Pringles

Pringles Member

It's important to run it up the middle on first down with 5 minutes left down by two scores. It sets the tone.

And waste the clock. :rolleyes:

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Defense, while not great, kept the game winnable.

Offense, while not great, was capable of winning it.

BOB made the game not winnable.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

A mix of BOB and Watson. BOB didn't call a very good game, but Watson just played poorly compared to what we expect from him. He missed a LOT of plays where he could have hit open receivers and instead took sacks or plays where he just didn't correctly read the defense. The best thing we can say is that he didn't throw any picks.

4. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I gotta say, since you've been back, I'm noticing a lot of your arguments have become broader, accepting multiple issues that could be the cause of failure instead of just honing in on one problem and not backing off it. It makes arguing with you more reasonable and "enjoyable" is not the right word but you know what I mean. Because I agree with you that BOB is lacking, we differ in that I just think he needs an OC and you want him gone. But its nice that you can also see blame elsewhere.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm doing what I can to be as fair as possible in an effort to avoid things going down a bad path. I don't want to lead to anyone else getting themselves banned or using things I say as an excuse to go after Clutch or anyone else. IMO we've had a lifetime full of that nonsense over the last 2 or 3 weeks and we all have to be better to avoid any more of it in the future. I plan on doing my part.

6. Nimo

Nimo Member

I don't know if this is common knowledge but I just read this from WalterFootball.com

"Prior to the 2015 NFL Draft, long-time Texans scout Ed Lambert raved to me about David Johnson and how he wanted the Texans to land him. Bill O'Brien, however, demanded the Texans take Jaelen Strong instead of Johnson in the third round of the 2015 NFL Draft..."

If true, it means O'Brien did have a say in draft picks even when Rick Smith was around. And it means O'Brien has no business having a say in draft picks.

Htownballer38, whag00 and coachbadlee like this.
  7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I've been saying this all along. Jaelen was an O'Brien gadget offensive player pick and he keeps making those picks. Look at the two gadget TEs who cant block we got this year.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I thought it was common knowledge that Rick Smith was nothing but a scapegoat, for the most part he picked the players his coaches wanted him to pick.

Htownballer38 likes this.
  9. Nimo

Nimo Member

You would think ...

Bobbythegreat and Mr. Clutch like this.
  10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Also consider that that number is highly skewed by a few ridiculous runs like Lamar Miller's 97 yard TD on first down. That one run negates more than 20 runs for no gain.

11. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

How’s everybody feeling

12. vonbock

vonbock Member

9-7 - here we come. This is the best you will get from BOB. He just got lucky with those 9 wins this year.

13. Nimo

Nimo Member

Deshaun Watson on that last scoring drive needs to be the Deshaun all game long. The no-hurry, quick slant route offense is what makes this offense so hard to watch. The play-calling changed in that one last drive which means the players have the ability, they just need the opportunity. Another reason why I think coach is holding back the QB and needs an OC badly.

Mr. Clutch, DonnyMost and maw7079 like this.
  14. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Yep BoB knows that the Jets are blitzing every play, why not call quick passes from the sideline instead of relying on your rookie QB to recognize things himself. O'Brien is not helping Watson at all.

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

They scored 29 points. So credit to that. But yes why not pass more like that throughout the game instead of waiting until the team is behind? Watson has shown he can do it if given the chance

16. conquistador#11

that timeout during the 3rd and 1 play was crazy. Any other coach challenges that during the course of the game. Unless the refs blew the whistle but I didn't hear it. Jets fans were really into the game for only having 4 wins.

17. raining threes

Watson missing throws, not reading defenses correctly is BOB's fault how?

If Watson had a better game and found open receivers more points would've been on the board. Just like last week. The only difference is the Texans scored 29 points instead of 21 last week and won.

18. raining threes

BOB called a TO because the defense wasn't lined up correctly and could've given up a TD.

19. raining threes

Do you really want Watson throwing the ball 40-50 times a game with this OL?

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There's no way this could be the response you had to what I said if you were even halfway trying to understand what I said. You absolutely have to be going out of your way trying to misunderstand what I said to come away with this take.

I'll go ahead and re-post the same thing to give you a second chance at it.