1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Think the OL has a chance to be better IMO. Cosmi and Kerstetter have played well in their starts and experienced now. Vahe and Rodriguez were just okay (at best) but think we can get improved play from one of the younger guys and maybe Okafor/Hudson in the interior. That along with year 2 under Hand has be somewhat optimistic.

The DL will be an area to watch for sure though. Chris Nelson played much better than expected but Charles O. was my surprise player on defense. He was very good and will be hard to replace.

2. gucci888

Toneil Carter (RB) is transferring. Not surprising with Ingram and Young in front of him. Mike Williams (DL) also quit the team. Sounds like he just packed his bags and left.

3. Frank Drebin

Frank Drebin Member

With the Early Period Signing day approaching on Dec 19th, has anybody heard any rumors about late commits? Bru McCoy? Caleb Johnson? Leal? Silent Commits? Weekend Visit comments?

4. gucci888

Picked up Caleb Johnson yesterday which is big. A lot of rumors out there but seems that we might be on the outside looking on some of bigger targets left.

5. Frank Drebin

Frank Drebin Member

Noooooo! We need another RB. I'm sure Trey Sanders will probably go to Bama, but I was hoping we might get Noah Cain away from Penn State somehow. Ingram and Daniel Young are basically it in the RB room. I haven't heard how talented Derrian Brown (Sole RB Commit) out of Georgia is, but he's 4 stars.

I think we will hopefully get Isaiah Hoofkin OT and Kennedy Lewis WR as of now. Maybe add another JUCO O lineman. #7 recruiting class is real nice. The class definitely has a lot of talent, but adding Bru McCoy and Cain could see us in the Top 5. Then maybe flipping Demarvin Leal down the road haha!

6. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Trey Sanders (natl. #5), RB - Bama
    Bru McCoy (natl #7), LB/WR - USC
    Noah Cain, RB - Pedo State
    Elijah Higgins, WR - Stanford
    Isaiah Hookfin, OL - Baylor
    Kennedy Lewis, WR - Texas

7. gucci888

Everything is pointing to Baylor for Hookfin unfortunately. Sounds like they're selling him on early playing time which is unrealistic regardless of where he goes. Pretty bummed if true being a Dulles HS alum.

We just got Lewis though.

8. Hustle Town

That's straight kool-aid drinking if he thinks he's going to start on the OL as a freshman. He needs to gain 30-40 pounds.

9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rick Barnes has the Vols at #3. Shaka should be on the hot seat.

LonghornFan and Hustle Town like this.
  10. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Michael Dickson made the Pro Bowl as a rookie.

tinman likes this.
  11. Hustle Town

TFB: Javonne Shepherd let me know this morning that he will sign in February. As of last night he had mentioned he was unsure and we had heard Texas A&M was making a late push. In the end I suspect Javonne signs with Texas but according to him it won’t be today.

#11451 Hustle Town, Dec 19, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  12. gucci888

Delete

#11452 gucci888, Dec 19, 2018
  13. Buck Turgidson

Can someone translate this?

14. Hustle Town

No need. This is probably more clear:

Drayton needs to go.

15. gucci888

Hate being down on another top 10 class but can’t help the feeling that Herman and Co. are limping to the finish.

Right now, we have 1 OL and 1 RB in this class which is not good. Missing out on the kid from TCU, Hookfin and maybe even Shepherd would be a fail regardless of where the class ranks IMO.
    Not being able to reel in a 2nd RB with our depth chart is just as bad.

#11455 gucci888, Dec 19, 2018
    Hustle Town likes this.
  16. Hustle Town

Trey Sanders to Alabama

17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I'm confused by what you mean by that line.

18. gucci888

We know Herman was on an all out push for another OL and RB since Tyler Johnson and Derrian Brown are the only signees that those positions. Shepherd is obviously a commit right now but his recruitment has been all over the place.

In other words, think they're wanting 3 OL and 2 RB total when the class is all said and done. Obviously a lot of time left but we have seemingly struck out on our top targets at those positions so far. Although hearing Hookfin might be back in play.

#11458 gucci888, Dec 19, 2018
  19. Frank Drebin

Frank Drebin Member

Yeah, I think Hookfin delayed his decision so that's a good sign considering his late trend towards Baylor. Gives Hand more time with him.

If we come away with those 3 OL in this class that would pretty darn good in my opinion. 2 would still be ok. We had a solid OL class last year (remember Junior Angilau). I believe there were just fewer top notch O linemen in Texas to be had overall this year.

I'm not super bummed about missing out on Cain and Sanders. I know some dislike DY, but I won't mind seeing a two headed monster of Danny Young and Ingram next year. I think they could compliment each other well. Bring along the freshman D Brown as well. We can use D'Shawn Jamison, and freshman J Smith and Whittington as scatbacks too. We'll probably pick up another RB transfer type, but I'm confident our OL will be physical and create holes for whoever is back there.

Missing those blue chip RB's also kinda opens the door for Zachary Evans in the following class. He's supposed to be the best Texas RB prospect since Peterson. That's where Drayton will make his bacon.

20. gucci888

From one of the pay sites regarding Hookfin. TIFWIW:

Hookfin was expected to sign with Baylor. However, it sounds like, at some point today, the family discovered some the past issues that Baylor faced under the Briles era.

Ron worded it as such, “we are researching some things on the school. We want the best for our so there can’t be any issues with past issues that would hinder him from future goals”.