1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Basketball

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Dubious, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

2. Buck Turgidson

Matt Coleman played like a man in the 2nd half last night. If he can keep doing that...?

eta: Mo Bamba is light-years ahead of Myles Turner at this stage, but he doesn't have the build or the low-post game of LaMarcus. Yet. Kid is going to be a beast: Capela at 18 but with hands and some shooting touch.

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Really solid win.

I think most of the Big 12 is closer together than the rankings otherwise indicate and don't put a ton of credence into where Oklahoma was ranked, but its great to have a ranked wins.

Agree completely with Bamba. Clint with a jump shot seems like a great comparison.

Apparently he has a wingspan bigger than anyone currently in the NBA, including Gobert.

4. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well, the team made the tournament and Shaka is probably safe for a year. That feels like the minimum for the team right now. I think they have a shot to beat Nevada, but that's probably it. The've been impossible to predict this year and I don't feel good about any team with guard play as bad as Texas'.

5. beardsanity713

Man Shaka ????

I thought dude was this transcendent type coach able to get the best out of his players guards specifically
    but his run at UT has not been good IMO...
    hellava recruiter and seems like an even better person
    but his teams have not been good

6. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

Shaka Smart needs to be on the hot seat next season.

tinman likes this.
  7. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed, he's getting paid too much money for this. He's made the tournament twice and each time has been a kick in the nuts.

That said, Bamba was a disappointment. He never fought for position in the post and allowed himself to be blocked out by guys a head shorter than him all game. I soured on him during his bout with Pro Toe and he'll leave Texas without having made a meaningful mark on the team. One and Done is a different debate, but at least guys like Kevin Durant and Miles Turner seemed to care about Texas basketball during their short time at UT.

8. Bob Barker 007

Whenever Texas needed a good play in a close game this season, The Three Stooges were always there, choking at every opportunity. They are Dylan Osetkowski, Kerwin Roach, and Shaka Smart. I at least should give Roach credit for how he played for most of the game. The other two are flat-out awful.

Hustle Town likes this.
  9. Hustle Town

Shaka Smart has led this team to the 300th best offense in the nation. For an offensive mind, his system could easily be stopped by an intramural team playing good zone. Enough of this. No one cares about Texas basketball anymore, but with our resources, we should at least be decent. Fire the Charlie Strong of basketball.

Bob Barker 007 likes this.
  10. Bob Barker 007

Shaka ain't no king

11. Buck Turgidson

I do not understand why he cannot recruit guards who can shoot from 3. It's baffling.

He was an up-and-down, guard oriented, pressure d coach at VCU, and now the best things he's done in his time at UT are the big men.

Hustle Town likes this.
  12. JayZ750

Yep.

Even with this, the team is 7-3, the 3 losses to Mich.State when they were up double digits in the 2nd half, and then by 3 and 1 to Radford and VCU - not great losses, but a combined 4 points.

I think they'll have another meh up and down Big 12 season, and a 1st round matchup that is 50/50. They've lost the last 2 of those. I feel like he should/could be replaced anyway, just given recruiting, but certainly if they lose that 50/50 matchup for the third year in a row.

Apparently the big men train is due to assistant Darrin Horn. And they do have another one incoming, a 5 star kid from Westlake. Plus a couple of 4 star recruits, one of which is also a big.

But if this is accurate: http://www.espn.com/colleges/basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/251/class/2019/page/offers

Once again, way short on guards.

13. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Del Conte taking care of business:

AUSTIN, Texas — University of Texas regents on Thursday approved an innovative, 35-year agreement between the university and ArenaCo - led by the Oak View Group and including Live Nation, C3 Presents as well as Matthew McConaughey — for a new, $338 million basketball arena to be constructed on land owned by UT without using university or public money.

The arena, which will serve as the home to Texas men’s and women’s basketball games, graduations, concerts and other events is expected to be opened in 2021.

The arena will be located on a current parking lot south of Mike A. Myers Stadium. It will replace the 41-year-old Frank C. Erwin Center, which will make way for the future expansion of the Dell Medical School.

The only money UT would be responsible for is certain infrastructure improvements near the arena site to make it ready for construction, officials said.

“UT’s historic agreement with this highly regarded company will result in a modern arena on campus for our students, alumni, supporters and the Austin community,” said UT Austin President Gregory L. Fenves. “The arena will provide for an unforgettable UT basketball experience and represent the best of our university.”

Fenves said the 10,000-seat arena will provide an intimate, state-of-the-art men’s and women’s Longhorn basketball fan experience and feature student seating surrounding the court. Much like how the Erwin Center currently operates, the new venue will be a prime location for university, campus, community and high school events. Additionally, the new arena is designed to expand to 15,000 seats for concerts and other events.

“This is a truly wonderful opportunity for The University of Texas, our basketball programs and the city of Austin,” said UT athletic director Chris Del Conte.

“We’re building one of the nation’s finest arenas that will provide an awesome home court advantage for our men’s and women’s basketball programs. The 10,000-seat facility will bring our fans and students close to the action and provide an exciting and engaging game day experience. On top of that, it will have the capacity to expand to 15,000 when needed and be a big-time concert venue that draws premier performers to our great city.”

UT's new medical displacing the Erwin Center without any replacement costs built into the budget required Texas to get creative in constructing a new basketball arena. The requests for proposals for a partner in building the new arena went out more than a year ago.

Tim Leiweke, chief executive officer of the Oak View Group, called the arena "a rare opportunity to be partners with one of the greatest academic institutions in the world."

C3 Presents and Live Nation, which own and operate the Austin City Limits music festival at Zilker Park every October, among other music festivals, will help bring concerts to the arena.

“C3’s headquarters are in Austin. We work here, raise our families here, and as a native Austinite, it is a dream opportunity to have this agreement with UT and work with world-class partners to bring this project to life. We are incredibly excited for the level of experiences and entertainment that this incomparable arena will bring to our great city,” said Charles Attal, a partner at C3 Presents.

Austin-based Academy Award winner Matthew McConaughey, an investor in the project has proclaimed himself the “Minister of Culture” at the new venue with the aim of creating a fan experience unlike any other. “It’s time to raise the bar," said McConaughey, an Academy Award-winning actor and 1993 UT graduate. "It’s time to excel, on the court and in the stands. It’s time for an authentic home court advantage for our Longhorn basketball teams. It’s time for a choice experience for our fans. It’s time to be a preferred venue for headliners from across the globe. It’s time for quality, success, and victories for the Longhorns and for Austin. It’s time for the big show. It’s time. Hook ’em.”

The UT System Board of Regents on Thursday authorized UT Austin to complete negotiations and enter into agreement with OVG and its partners.

https://247sports.com/college/texas...e-new-338-million-basketball-arena-126689922/

14. Buck Turgidson

Will Baker will be a player. Lanky big with handles and range.

Didn't know about the recruiter, thanks.

15. JayZ750

16. Buck Turgidson

So can UT hire another coach away from UH?

17. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

Thank you for having the decency for keeping this in the UT BB thread. We have had enough here as UH alumni with UT and other schools poaching our coaches. I think Sampson may make a move at some point but for the time being he is doing a hell of a job bringing basketball back to respectability here at UH.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

He is doing a hell of a job, indeed. Very happy for UH, it's great fun to see them back where they should be and I hope he stays there for a long time.

I was joking about Sampson, but I have just about had it with Shaka at UT. They needed some new blood after Barnes kind of stagnated, but they are just incredibly frustrating to watch. Reminds me a whole lot of Strong replacing Mack.

19. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

It takes awhile to rebuild. I remember when Sampson took over from Penders. He is just now reaping the full benefits of his coaching style and recruitment efforts. I hope he spends the rest of his career at UH but with all the money that is thrown around nowadays it is hard to get a great coach such as Bill Yeoman or Guy Lewis who remains loyal to their university for any length of time. As much as UT is enjoying the fruits of the labor of Tom Herman it would not surprise me if Ohio State or some other top tier team offered enough money or perhaps an NFL team and you would have to start from scratch all over again like we are having to do at UH.

I did not realize until I googled it that Shaka smart had been at UT since April of 2015. It may be time for a change. With Mo Bamba and others I thought they would go further than they did last year. My how time flies. I also googled Sampson and did not realize he was hired at UH in 2014 almost exactly one year before UT hired Shaka Smart.

20. Hustle Town

I've had it with Shaka. The offense is awful, and the team overall shows only marginal improvement every season. With the talented players (albeit less talented recruits than Rick Barnes' tenure) we have, we should be doing better. The reason we aren't is because there's zero offensive system in place, and talent alone isn't good enough in college ball unless you're Duke or Kentucky. I'm really sick of taking combo guards who can't shoot. Big men can only do so much in this era of basketball.

Solely on hindsight, we shouldn't have fired Rick Barnes. We got greedy with expectations. That said, Barnes kind of faded and seemed to lose interest. Some people just need a change of scenery.