1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When will Morey make a move?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bratna8, Nov 27, 2018.

?

When do we make our move

1. Soon

23.8%
  2. After Dec. 15th

54.1%
  3. Trade deadline

22.1%
  1. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Please Mauri, need 7 undersized PFs to make our team great again.

pippendagimp and daywalker02 like this.
  2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Luxury tax savings and/or realizing an asset.

3. BigBum

BigBum Member

Capela is not-so-happy on this contract compared to Chris Paul. Capela did not make 100% effort.
    Gordon is seeking for overpaid contract.
    I'd trade Capela and Gordon too.

4. macan

macan Member

trade capela for Jordan, bring DJ home!
    trade Gordon with picks for white Gordon/Beal
    trade MCW, chriss plus picks for a 3 and D wing
    get Ariza from buyout market later on

5. Vivi

Vivi Member

Capela spends a lot of time going after little guys, probably more than our guards lol, i really fail to see how he's not playing hard...he's also one of the few guys who constantly run up and down the court and try to help from the weak side.

Corrosion, clutchdabear and bulkatron like this.
  6. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

If we lose the next 2, Morey will be forced to make a move.

It's sad because other teams know we're desperate and will have the leverage over us.

If he really can't add some solid role players or another star to this team, he needs have a serious chat with Tilman about tanking this season.

JamalP. likes this.
  7. Der Rabbi

Der Rabbi Member

Kind of. Since the players the players that the Rockets have to trade are generally on one year deals and must match within 80%? (can't remember exact %) they may be hard to trade for Morris or Oubre who are also on the last year of their deals. (Oubre I think is a RFA next season). The savings for them would be to trade Porters' 2 more years of mid 20s to get off their books for luxury tax savings. I think the only way the Rockets get to that number without giving up Gordon, Tucker or Capella is to include Knight's big number. This isn't the last year of Knights deal so the Wiz would only be saving the 3rd year on Porter's big contract. I bet some other team would give them matching salaries that expire at the end of the year thereby saving them 2 years worth of Porter's big number and its luxury tax hit.

I don't think anyone is looking at Knight, Chriss, Melo, Nene or MCW as assets.

#67 Der Rabbi, Nov 29, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

for a team trying to tank this year, those are ideal assets

clutchdabear and hakeem94 like this.
  9. BigBum

BigBum Member

I have a feeling this morning.

In Dec 15, Rockets will deal Knight/MCW/melo for Ariza. My question is

Would you do it if Suns want 2 future lottery protected First?

This would save Tilman $7 million (tax 1.75*(1.5+1.0)) this year and $30M+ next year.

10. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

LMAO.

That's what Morey would do before slamming down the phone.

Of course, this is after he's choked on his drink when he heard 2 firsts for Ariza.

Little Bit likes this.
  11. BigBum

BigBum Member

Suns take Knight's bad contract for 2 Firsts.

You need Suns for dumping salary, Suns don't need you.

12. RocketOrg

RocketOrg Member

I like Tucker but we’re thin at PF and could benefit from a 6’9” ish player with a decent jumper that can play defense. Perhaps Tucker can be packed with EG for Beal and Morris. then you have to pull the trigger. Perhaps package with Eric Gordon and another bench player. All I know is that we’re getting very little production from the PF position. Tue Rockets can’t afford to get a measly 6 points every night with limited production from out SF’s.

13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i'm not entirely convinced morey is going to be making the move(s) everyone is hoping for and expecting. at some point tilman is going to instruct him to start shedding salary to reduce lux tax. no way he's going to pay $16M tax for a non-contender this year.

Corrosion likes this.
  14. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

good suggestions on both - rockets really could use another legit scoring wing, although i might prefer warren because of his size and how efficient he is on the offensive end. he's really underrated. warren gets buckets so easily.. was always a great scorer since college. and now he's become a nice 3pt shooter

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  15. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

The longer he waits, the less leverage he'll have in a trade. Every team will start to think he's desperate and try to get the most out of him.

Actually, every other GM probably knows that already because of the 4 first rounders leak for Butler.

16. blackistan

blackistan Member

We better not waste Harden's time here like the Texans did with Andre

17. carib

carib Member

This is rough stuff, so far Morey struck out with acquisitions Melo, MCW, Chriss and Knight. One can hope Morey can find or trade for a 3 and D player that can play both SF and PF and help Tucker and reduce his minutes. The team is thin at the PF position. Hopefully Clark's shooting improves but there are two veteran players come to mind in DeMarre Carrol (Nets) and Anthony Tolliver (Wolves). Salary might be problematic in Carrol's case. Perhaps Morey can snatch up another similar type of player. Ennis III and House have shown some potential that one can hope will lead to decent/good consistent play as we go further in the season. Hopefully CP3 is ready to go soon, but the Rockets need another guard to run the offense if Harden or CP3 are not able to play and Knight is not playing anytime soon. If Knight is returning soon and rounds out to form he was in Milwaukee that would be great. With the lack of depth forcing short rotations the Rockets are going to struggle especially in the late 3rd or in the 4th quarter when players are tired or conserving energy on the defensive end.

clutchdabear likes this.
  18. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Great point, but I don't think this is 100% of what he should be thinking. He should be thinking "how can I make this team at least a little more injury proof". Also, 8-4 is decent, but nowhere near last season.

19. craguin

craguin Member

▲▼

Deuce likes this.
  20. da_juice

da_juice Member

I honestly don't see what role players are available. One of the many downsides of the lack of parity/Warriors domination is that teams know where they stand when the season starts. As a result, bad teams don't sign role players; they sign young players. Playoff teams don't have stuff to give up. Everyone is either tanking or tryna compete. The only teams that are poachable are the Cavs and Wizards; and even then; other teams in the West are thinking the same thing.

If the end result this year is gonna be an 8th or 9th seed; I think we need to blow it up. Winning it all with Harden is a cute idea; but it doesn't happen in this day and age. Five years ago maybe; but not in the era where all the stars are friends and ruining the game becomes a hashtag