1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Civ VI

Discussion in 'Clutch Gaming and eSports' started by FlyerFanatic, Apr 23, 2018.

1. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

Anyone playing this game?

i've never played the CIV series...was thinking of giving it a go. sounds like its a pretty active community...think there was something like 6 years between CIV 5 and 6 and tons of people still play CIV 5.

hear the tutorial is kinda lacking and doesn't really help you learn how to play. its too broad and leaves too much out

2. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

I have over 1000 hours dumped into civ 5 and 6. One of my all time favorite games. I’d start on prince or lower. Abundant resources, legendary starting point, take off score victory, fractal continents, small map, game speed quick. That should be a good starting point for a new player. Have fun!

One of the things I really like about civ is I can play and binge watch tv at the same time. I’m rewatching the sopranos for like the 5th time. I played and watched all day yesterday while nursing a crawfish boil hangover.

#2 tmoney1101, Apr 23, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    Deckard and dmoneybangbang like this.
  3. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

think i may go with CIV 5....hearing its easier to learn...plus with CIV 6 being so new...prob means i'll end up spending more money since all the DLC packs still need to be released. sound right?

4. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Civ 6 is pretty good. I enjoyed Civ 5, but its pretty overwhelming for a newbie. Civ 6 is a lot more streamlined.

If you want to save money though definitely wait for a Civ 5 GOTY sale.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  5. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

streamlined in what way? meaning...easier for newbie/casuals to pick up and play?

Deckard likes this.
  6. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

The UI is better, tutorials are better, simplified game mechanics a bit and the art design is great IMO (although a lot hate it because it departed from Civ V's pseudo realistic design).

I'd watch reviews though. You can't go wrong either way.

Deckard likes this.
  7. dmoneybangbang

Love the Civ series. However, these games aren't for everyone or most people it seems. I'd go with Civ 5 since it's cheaper.

Out of curiosity, what made you interested in this game? Have you played 4X games before?

8. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

seems to get great reviews and has a real active community but outside of that:

just looking for a game that seems to be a slower pace...i'm awful at FPS...i mean i have overwatch and its fun...but i suck...and die a ton. that gets old after awhile.

some people have suggested too me stuff like the sims and idk...seems that would get old too. at least with a civ game there tends to be a strats too it.

9. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

game was on sale on humble bundle so picked it up.

completed the tutorial...excited to dive in. seems to be quite a bit too it.

#9 FlyerFanatic, Aug 30, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
  10. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

did the tutorial...but felt i still didn't have a great feel for the game. so was playing it again....got to a point where it wanted to tell me about a "great person"

the blue arrow pointing towards the icon i needed to click and the game ended up screwing up and i wasn't able to click anything. my cursor still moved around but i couldn't click any button/action. was weird...

anyways....decided i probably needed to watch some beginner vids...found a series by quill on youtube. i mean great series so far...but holy **** is there much more here than the tutorial tells you.

how long does it take to get in the flow of things in this game? once i get through the 6 part series...i'll give a few games on the lowest level a try just to see if i can get used to how to get setup in this game.

keep in mind this is a 6 part series on just the beginning game. dudes has more videos on mid/late game. wild

EDIT: guess i'd ask...i kind of view this game sorta like SC...not that its RTS because it clearly isn't. just in the way you go about things. IE: you build things in a certain order and once you find more out about neighboring countries you adjust to what you need to focus on.

is that sort of the idea? you wanna focus on growing your country by building new cities early but mid/late game is gonna depend on if you go military/religion/science route?

11. dmoneybangbang

Truthfully, the tutorials and youtube videos are okay.... but the learning curve is very steep. I get what you mean by the bolded as your "build order" should reflect what civ you pick (like race what you pick in SC) and you have to scout a lot to not only figure out what civs there are but where the resources are. It will be harder if your empire doesn't include iron or horses early on as your military can be pushed over by a more aggressive civ.

As you build your empire, keep in mind your cities can be specialty cities. You want to build some cities around mines, forests, and other productive tiles (ocean) and build up your industrial district with workshops, etcs. to compliment. Even further, you want to build your industrial zone near your mines.

I'm in a game where I'm on God mode, on turn 415/500, and I got 11 total cities as Gorgo. Some cities are setup to crank out money, some cities are setup to crank out units, and some cities are setup to create a lot of science to research faster. The learning curve is very steep and you just have to play more to get the game mechanics.

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member