1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Fortnite] Fortnite Esports Events

Discussion in 'Clutch Gaming and eSports' started by GIGO, Apr 23, 2018.

1. GIGO

GIGO Member

Tencent begins $15 million promotional blitz for Fortnite in China

"The $15 million will be split between establishing both domestic and global esports events for Fortnite in the country, as well as enlist popular content creators on social media to produce video material of the game."

'Fortnite' Coming to China with Tencent Investing Money into Esports Scene

"The other news is that Tencent and Epic are going to invest money into the game's esports scene: 50 million yuan (about $7.9 million USD) will go toward supporting esports teams, commentators, and content creators, with another 50 million yuan going toward the creation of in-game content and video content creators."

daywalker02 likes this.
  2. GIGO

GIGO Member

EPIC GAMES WILL PROVIDE $100,000,000 FOR FORTNITE ESPORTS TOURNAMENT PRIZE POOLS IN THE FIRST YEAR OF COMPETITIVE PLAY
    Epic Games
    By The Fortnite Team

Fortnite Competitors!

Grab your gear, drop in and start training. Since the launch of Fortnite Battle Royale we’ve watched the passion for community competition grow and can’t wait to empower you to battle with the best.

In the 2018 - 2019 season, Epic Games will provide $100,000,000 to fund prize pools for Fortnite competitions. We’re getting behind competitive play in a big way, but our approach will be different - we plan to be more inclusive, and focused on the joy of playing and watching the game.

Stay tuned for more details about competitive structures and eligible platforms in the weeks ahead!

‘FORTNITE’ ESPORTS OFFERS $100 MILLION PRIZE POOL, CAN IT BREAK THE BATTLE ROYALE CURSE?
    NEWSWEEK
    BY STEVEN ASARCH
    5/21/18 AT 2:28 PM

Epic Games will be giving away $100 million in prize money for the inaugural season of Fortnite esports. “We’re getting behind competitive play in a big way, but our approach will be different,” the post on their site said. “We plan to be more inclusive, and focused on the joy of playing and watching the game.” The sheer amount of capital being invested here is enough to excite people who have never heard of the battle royale, but should make pro players jump out of their overpriced gaming chairs.

Esports is a huge buzzword in 2018, with game companies throwing as much money as possible into a competitive scene to foster a community and potential growth. Games like Clash Royale and Rocket League invested tens of millions of dollars into taking their game to the next esports level, creating new leagues that hopefully attract top-tier talent. And there’s a good reason behind it too; people are watching esports like never before. The League of Legends Midseason Invitational finals that pitted Korean superstars Kingzone Dragon X against Chinese Royal Never Give Up pulled in more than 127 million viewers, making it the most watched esports event in history.

Fortnite has quickly risen the ranks of free-to-play superstardom and is now one of the most played games in the world. Millions of players jump onto the 100-person battlefield and compete to be the last-person standing. As a player, you can show off your prowess by outbuilding an opponent or dropping them in a well-aimed fire fight. The spectacle of it all is engaging to watch, even when you aren’t playing yourself.

Grassroots Fortnite tournaments have already started to pop up, and even without Epic Games official backing have been wildly successful. To coincide with the launch of the Esports Arena at the Lux Hotel in Las Vegas, streamer Tyler “Ninja” Blevins hosted a tournament with more than 200 players. For killing Ninja or winning the whole game, players competing could earn $5,000 for each. For three games in total, fans in the arena and online watched the best builders, divers and shooters in the world compete for prize money. At its peak, 667,000 viewers tuned in to Ninja’s Twitch stream to watch the tournament, breaking records for viewership on the platform.

“Friday Fortnite,” a weekly tournament created by YouTube drama monger Keemstar just finished its second week of matches. YouTubers and streamers competed for a $10,000 prize pool, though most just did it for the internet fame. Internet celebrities like Logan Paul, Ice Poseidon and even Ninja competed in a bracket-format created entirely for the tournament. Since Fortnite still doesn’t have private servers and having this many internet personalities just popping into games isn’t practical, another scoring metric had to be designed for the tournament. Two teams of two would compete against each other for the most kills, with sabotage of the other team strictly forbidden. This formula proved to be a success, pulling in 5 million unique viewers for the first week and 7 million for the second.

Battle royale esports have often suffered in the past. PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds was hugely popular but failed to establish an esports scene because the game was too buggy. The game failed so spectacularly that “ PUBG is esports ready” has become a huge meme in the community. PlayerUnknown himself in an interview with PCGamesN had to eventually say that “we are nowhere near esports ready yet.” H1Z1, a fellow battle royale, launched the H1Z1 Pro League recently, streaming the games on Facebook to an audience of single-digit thousands.

Fortnite is a game that’s already set up for success. It’s got a massive audience, addicting gameplay and more potential than any game currently out there. If any game can break the esports battle royale curse, it’s Fortnite .

Epic Games Will Provide $100M in Prize Money for Fortnite Esports in 2018-2019
    Esports Observer
    Trent Murray
    May 21, 2018

Today, game studio Epic Games announced that it will provide $100M for Fortnite esports competitions during the 2018-2019 season. This is the largest developer-supported prize pool for a single season of competition in esports history.

The Fortnite team offered few details in the announcement, but did state that the studio's "approach will be different—we plan to be more inclusive, and focused on the joy of playing and watching the game."

It’s unclear what form Epic Games’ esports initiative will take. Other popular games like Overwatch and League of Legends adopted more rigid structures with developer-controlled professional leagues, while Valve’s esports Counter-Strike:Global Offensive and Dota 2 use a structure of officially supported Major events, which qualify teams for larger international tournaments.

Based on the language in the announcement, it is possible that Epic Games is looking at a different structure from the other top tier esports. The company could adopt a strategy similar to the professional fighting game circuits, providing monetary and infrastructure support for third-party events.

Fortnite has taken over streaming services like Twitch. Its most popular streamers consistently lead The Esports Observer’s weekly Top 10. A recent esports event featuring the game’s top streamer Tyler “Ninja” Blevins reached over 660K concurrent viewers. Given the game’s immense popularity, a developer-supported esports scene with such a large prize pool could lead Fortnite to become one of the most popular esports titles overnight.

#2 GIGO, May 22, 2018
    Last edited: May 22, 2018
  3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

whats your username on fortnite?

GIGO likes this.
  4. GIGO

GIGO Member

Sorry, none. But it'd be nice if you and other clutchfans talk more about the game (usernames, heroes, in-game strategies, etc.) in this thread or any thread yet to be created on this subforum. Meanwhile I'll be trying to provide current news on its (future) competitive events.

5. GIGO

GIGO Member

6. GIGO

GIGO Member

TeamLiquidPro
    Dropping Into Fortnite
    June 05 2018

We've checked out our landing site and we’re finally dropping in. Fortnite is a global sensation, and we’re excited to help shape its future. The Battle Royale title is taking 2018 by storm with the biggest streamers on Twitch, a budding competitive scene, and a recent dedication of $100,000,000 in esports prize money from developer EPIC Games.

Competitive success is Team Liquid’s number one priority—while we scouted several major content creators and streamers, this precedent informed our final decision. Our four man squad is already making waves within the competitive community, scrimming daily and honing their skills for tournaments to come. We can’t wait to bring our experience and resources to this new title.

Say hello to Team Liquid Fortnite:

[​IMG]
    Former FaZe Clan member 72hrs joins Team Liquid Fortnite with extensive experience as a streamer and top player. 72hrs is a classic Fortnite master of the high ground, using his superior build skills to overwhelm his opponents and bring the double pump of death from above. His skills will cover our bases top to bottom as we fight for the podium this year.

“I'm both excited and proud to represent Team Liquid in Fortnite as they are known for being at the top of multiple eSport titles—and as for Fortnite, this is only the beginning.”

[​IMG]
    Certified ‘Dive Master’, scuba instructor, spearfisher, Fortnite god: Strafesh0t holds the squad together with his supportive play and strong communication. As the oldest member of the team, his leadership and direction will be the foundation of our success. Don’t be fooled, however; this comes at no expense of his in-game prowess. Strafe won’t hesitate to take grenades and rockets to the enemy base with lethal accuracy.

“Everyone has been extremely kind and considerate at Team Liquid which is very important to us. In short 10/10. The future of Fortnite is going to be huge and I think we have A LOT of very entertaining tournaments around the corner and am very eager to jump into this thing head on and be the best team there is!”

[​IMG]
    When you’re knocked down, you need to get back up. Our young superstar POACH is ready to go with his counter-building toolset. When things seem grim, his cerebral and efficient building style will turn our opponents on their heads as he makes good on his name and steals back the high ground. The young midwesterner is ready to make a name for himself as an esports rookie in the Fortnite scene.

“I'm really excited to be representing Team Liquid in Fortnite and it has already been a great experience. The future of Fortnite looks bright as it has already seen enormous growth and I'm looking forward to what EPIC has to offer.”

[​IMG]
    Rounding out our squad is the patient assassin Chap. With an acute sense of the meta, Chap’s specialty is simple: sitting in 1x1s. Sometimes in Fortnite you have to wait it out, heal out, get your pumps loaded, and then give it a go. Chap has no problem holding it down for the team, just before he tears down the competition with C4 and LMG demolition.

“Once I tasted the Team Liquid Chef Manny's food it was over. It's kinda hard to fail when you have 100 million dollars.”

7. GIGO

GIGO Member

6/12/18

1. Gotaga + UFC Fighter Demetrious Johnson
    2. Markiplier + Actor Joel Mchale
    3. Myth + NBA Player, Thunder, Paul George
    4. Ninja + EDM Artist, Marshmello
    5. Pokimane + NBA Player, Lakers, Josh Hart
    6. Ali-A + Bassist, Fall Out Boy, Pete Wentz
    7. Typical Gamer + Hip-Hop Artist, Vince Staples
    8. Kitty Plays + Actor, Chandler Riggs
    9. Handofblood + Actor, Jon Heder
    10. Tbnrfrags + Hip-Hop Artist, Lil Yachty
    11. Trymacs + EDM Artist, Echo
    12. Kinstaar + UFC Figher, Sean O'malley
    13. Yt2tap + Dancer, Kinjaz, Jawnha
    14. Nadanial + Dancer, Kinjaz, Nickkim
    15. Samara Redway + Actor, Dancer, Cyrus Spencer
    16. Femsteph + Actor, Franz Drameh
    17. Nanaka + Actress, Youtuber, Tenchim
    18. Karol "Friz" Wiśniewski + Actor, Geoffrey Arend
    19. Bokyeom Kim + Dongmin Jin "Acau"
    20. Dreadztv + EDM Artist, Arty
    21. Kim Patriota + Actress, Kyla Drew
    22. Elrubius + Hip-Hop Artist, Partynextdoor
    23. Lirik + Actor, Rahul Kohli
    24. Nickmercs + NBA Player, Pistons, Andre Drummond
    25. Sssniperwolf + NBA Player, Magic, Terrence Ross
    26. Valkyrae + Music Producer, Murda Beatz
    27. Timthetatman + Actor, Mack Wilds
    28. Vikkstar123 + Hip-Hop Artist, Ty Dolla $
    29. Loserfruit + Dancer, The Backpack Kid
    30. Couragejd + NBA Player, Nuggets, Kenneth Faried
    31. Goldglove + Music Artist, Witt Lowry
    32. Berkcan Güven + Actor, Ryan Cartwright
    33. Darkness429 + Actor, Marcus Scribner
    34. Nadeshot + UFC Fighter, Tyron Woodley
    35. One_Shot_Gurl + Actor, Jack Falahee
    36. Orkun + Singer, Songwriter, Jordyn Jones
    37. Stonemountain + Singer, Actor, Jordan Fisher
    38. Willyrex + Singer, Songwriter, Prince Royce
    39. Xpertthief + Actress, Janina Gavankar
    40. King Richard + NHL Player, Ducks Jt Brown
    41. Cdnthe3rd + WWE, Xavier Woods
    42. Lolitofdez + Comedian, Ron Funches
    43. Cizzorz + NBA Player, Pistons, Reggie Jackson
    44. Lachlan + Actor, Robbie Amell
    45. Sypher + NFL, Chicago Bears, Tarik Cohen
    46. Noahj456 + Singer, Songwriter, Madilyn Bailey
    47. Izak Live + EDM Artist, Drezo
    48. Skyyart + Actor, Nathan Kress
    49. iijeriichoii + EDM Artist, Dillon Francis
    50. Muselk + Actor, Liam Mcintyre

8. GIGO

GIGO Member

Travis Gafford (0:21): Hey, everyone. I'm at the Fortnite Pro-Am in LA, joined right now by John Heder, and talked a little bit about his experience. So... this is a whole new world for you.

Jon Heder (0:31): I mean I've known about it for a while. I love video games but the world of esports -- right? is that what you call it? -- esports is just, it kind of boggles my brain. I can't wrap my head around it. It's like foreign, it's like a foreign piece of excrement inside my body and my... it's trying to protect and and wrap around but can't quite get around it.​

Travis Gafford (1:15): "... I'd love to know what you know about esports, like what is your take on it?"

Jon Heder (1:19): I mean esports is like... I mean the fact that it has a name, it means it's like an institution now and I didn't know is that big. I didn't know...I'm...we're at an event right now. It's the first time I've ever been where it feels like this is probably akin to like 20-30 years ago where maybe a kid would be invited by his dad's like rich friend to go to meet and greet or like a little party like this that has all these MLB players... ok... and that's what it is. It's like the new sports scene. I mean, we have apparently we're surrounded by all these famous gamers that... and I don't recognize them at all, but I see these kids and adults running up to like getting pictures with him like shaking hands and... and I was never into sports, like I never really did that either so I've never understood that world of like sports I guess... I guess it really comes down to sports electronic or real.

Travis Gafford (2:19): As for me, I was never into sports either ... which is why... but I like games, video games. So this is like kind of that I'm finally getting that experience now that this is kind of a thing.

Jon Heder (2:27): That's a good point. Like I was... I wasn't a big spectator. Sure I liked playing sports. It's kind of like that. I love playing video games but I don't follow or watch anybody else play....

9. GIGO

GIGO Member

TBH, I have no idea how these tournaments work. Looks like they've already finished the 1st of 4 tournaments in July. The article below is about the 2nd one which is coming soon.

[​IMG]

Twitch Teams Up With Epic Games for $2M Fortnite Tournament Series
    Trent Murray
    The Esports Observer
    Aug 16, 2018

• Twitch will host a $2M Fortnite tournament series, featuring Ninja, on its Twitch Rivals channel.
    • Four tournaments will take place over the next two weeks—two for North American players, and two for Europe.
    • The event is part of Epic Games’ $8M Summer Skirmish Series, which kicked off in July.
    Amazon’s livestreaming platform Twitch has launched a $2M Fortnite tournament series. The event will be part of the Summer Skirmish Series—a collection of Fortnite tournaments each with its own rules and prize pool. Twitch’s series will be streamed live via its Twitch Rivals esports channel.

The prize pool will be spread across four events, two for North America and two for Europe, each with a $260K share of the total pot. Popular Fortnite streamer Tyler “Ninja” Blevins is listed among the competitors for the first event, which will take place on August 17.

Twitch Rivals has hosted multiple PLAYERUNKOWN’S BATTLEGROUNDS and Starcraft II tournaments this year, including a PUBG invitational in February with a $100K prize pool. The competitor list for events like these will often include some of the most popular streamers for the game being showcased.

The Fortnite Summer Skirmish Series is an eight-week series of tournaments with a combined $8M prize pool. Its inaugural event was the first tournament officially organized and operated by the game’s developer Epic Games. Unlike PUBG’s Global Invitational, which focused on high level competition from the best esports teams in the world, the focus of the Summer Skirmish thus far has been on invitational events featuring some the game’s most popular streamers and personalities.

In case anyone would like to read about what happened in the first tournament, here is the link to the review.
    https://esportsobserver.com/opinion-fortnite-summer-skirmish/

10. GIGO

GIGO Member

PAX-WEST-2018
    By The Fortnite Team

8/31/18 (Friday) - 9/3/18 (Monday)
    PAX West, Seattle

Another big Fortnite event is on the horizon – tell your friends using #FortnitePAXWest!

Where are we dropping?

Downtown Seattle! We’re landing at PAX West 2018 on Friday, August 31 through Monday, September 3 and we’re bringing plenty of fun activities for solos and squads. Find us outside at 8th and Pine and inside the Washington State convention center on the 1st floor “Yakima” or tune-in to the conclusion of the Summer Skirmish tournament series, live at PAX West!

FORTNITE SUMMER SKIRMISH TOURNAMENT

The Summer Skirmish tournament will conclude at PAX West with a live $1,500,000 USD competition open to all PAX West attendees. Registration for the event will be held on site each day starting at 8:00AM at PAX Lot 73 on 8th and Pine.

Day 1, 2 and 3 of PAX West will begin with three rounds of qualifiers, followed by final qualifiers each night. Final qualifiers will be broadcast across all Fortnite channels from 6:00PM- 9:00PM local time. The top 33 winners of each evening’s final qualifiers will battle for Victory Royale in the PAX West Final matches held on Monday, September 3. All of Monday’s matches will be streamed on Fortnite's official channels, starting at 11:00AM local time and ending at 3:00PM local time. There will be more information on the tournament's format and prizing soon!

Watch the tournament live on:

Deckard likes this.