1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Robert Mueller, Former F.B.I. Director, Is Named Special Counsel for Russia Investigation

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KingCheetah, May 17, 2017.

1. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

So much this. He has been caught again. The GOP leadership and ethics committee is a joke.

2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

trump is now attacking the judicial system (again!)...

3. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Perhaps the judges tendency to rubber stamp approve nearly all FISA applications (because they almost never see the light of day) should be looked at, but they were mislead on two fronts.

1) That the source of the info was funded by the DNC/Clinton campaign. The FBI knew it and completely left it out of the application (confirming that claim from the Nunes memo).

2) That the information used to get the warrant (the Steele dossier) was verified. It wasn't, and Comey later testified to that effect.

And Carter Page still walking free after two years of the FBI spying on him leads one to believe the evidence used in the FISA application is bogus.

TheresTheDagger likes this.
  4. NewRoxFan

Four different REPUBLICAN-NOMINATED judges, multiple review and approvals. and your best argument is that they simply rubber-stamp these detailed and important documents? Your continued defense of the indefensible is getting increasingly embarrassing...

[​IMG]

No Worries likes this.
  5. NewRoxFan

Speaking of which...

Heck, even little marco agrees...

6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

@Commodore - I think that twitter feed has many steps of whimsical extrapolation, but even if we take each of those assumptions seriously ( many of them just guesses and hopes TBH) we still have this: Nunes COMPLETELY lied, and he flagrantly violated house ethics rules. Why did he do that? (Rhetorical.)

7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Read this to understand why your rubber stamp statement is inaccurate: https://newrepublic.com/article/115257/fisa-warrants-court-tougher-media-says

1) This is wrong. Steele dossier was funded by both Republican and Democrats. The possible bias of Steel was documented in the application.

2) No, that's not what is stated.

Carter page walking free NOW isn't a valid reason that application is bogus - this is VERY bad logic.

NewRoxFan likes this.
  8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I’m missing the part where Trump and his cult disprove any of the evidence laid out to the judges that Carter Page was working on behalf of the Russians. The warrant states... basically collusion between Russia and the Trump campaign through Page with evidence provided to the judges. Show me where that’s a lie that this didn’t happen.

Talk about a grasp at straws. Them pushing for this to be made public only hurts their credibility with people that actually read the warrant, but we all know Trumpkins don’t do that. They are going to believe what they hear through “undercover Huber” twitter bots over the actual document itself.

If you are a trump supporter here- do you realize how incredibly stupid Trump thinks you are? Seriously?

9. Commodore

Steele Dossier was not funded by Republicans (you might be thinking of Fusion GPS, which was hired by some Republicans during the primary). It was funded by Clinton campaign/DNC, which the FBI knew and did not disclose to the FISA judge.

What evidence? The Steele Dossier? Those allegations to this day have never been verified.

"We trust Steele" is basically what the FBI is hanging their hat on to spy on an American. But they can't verify any of Steele's accusations.

10. Commodore

quote the Nunes lie

sugrlndkid likes this.
  11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Thanks for replying. Less thanks for issuing an order, but I take you to mean: you don't think Nunes has lied. At the very least he has intentionally misled the American public when completely mischaracterizing the FISA application on Carter Page.

Here's an easy to follow yet rigorous break down, including updates following the new FISA app release.
    https://www.lawfareblog.com/what-make-carter-page-fisa-applications
    (bold highlighting mine)

...Based on this back and forth between the HPSCI partisans, I wrote on Lawfare at the time that the FBI’s disclosures on Steele “amply satisfie[d] the requirements” for FISA applications, and that the central irony of the Nunes memo was that it “tried to deceive the American people in precisely the same way that it falsely accused the FBI of deceiving the FISA Court.” The Nunes memo accused the FBI of dishonesty in failing to disclose information about Steele, but in fact the Nunes memo itself was dishonest in failing to disclose what the FBI disclosed. I said then, and I still believe, that the “Nunes memo was dishonest. And if it is allowed to stand, we risk significant collateral damage to essential elements of our democracy.”

Now we have some additional information in the form of the redacted FISA applications themselves, and the Nunes memo looks even worse. In my earlier post, I observed that the FBI’s disclosures about Steele were contained in a footnote, but argued that this did not detract from their sufficiency: “As someone who has read and approved many FISA applications and dealt extensively with the FISA Court, I will anticipate and reject a claim that the disclosure was somehow insufficient because it appeared in a footnote; in my experience, the court reads the footnotes.” Now we can see that the footnote disclosing Steele’s possible bias takes up more than a full page in the applications, so there is literally no way the FISA Court could have missed it. The FBI gave the court enough information to evaluate Steele’s credibility..

There's a lot more at the link. Here's the author:
    "David Kris is a founder of Culper Partners LLC. He previously served as assistant attorney general for national security, associate deputy attorney general, trial attorney at the Department of Justice, general counsel at Intellectual Ventures, and deputy general counsel and chief ethics and compliance officer at Time Warner. He is the author or co-author of several works on national security, including the treatise National Security Investigations and Prosecutions, and has taught at Georgetown University and the University of Washington."

I tend to find him reputable and knowledgable on this topic. He in no way reeks of bias, versus random twitter accounts either of us might select to help verify our views. I submit it would do us well to read from learned people with deep keels.

Again, why would Nunes do backflips to attack the FBI on a procedural detail? It clearly speaks to desperation and obfuscation, an attempt to discredit an investigation which has already found all sorts of illegal activity to the point of dozens of indictments and a number of guilty pleas. I understand people will continue to spin this, to ignore the actual substance of indictments and claim, well, this activity should never have been investigated. I do understand that, and I think it is not good for the country to ignore the elephant in the room (I mean no pun on your party's mascot, by the way).

Cheers.

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

QUOTE THE LIE!

Rashmon and B-Bob like this.
  13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

TLDR - therefore I am not changing my opinion. NUNES DIDN'T LIE!

14. NewRoxFan

rubio adds on...

15. NewRoxFan

The leftist organization The American Enterprise Institute on this...

16. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

You are right, it was fusion gps. They did disclose it in the application. A full page on it. See above.

P.s technically both hired fusion gps. Fusion gps subcontract the work to Steele which dnc/Clinton campaign has no knowledge of.

#3516 Amiga, Jul 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  17. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They told the judges that the Steele dossier was funded by a political opponent of Trump. That was told the judges who signed off on the warrant. It was not dishonest.

What is dishonest is the idea that they never told the judges about that which you have repeated here.

There have been numerous things in the dossier that have ended up being verified. Others and I have posted them on this board before more than once.

There was no dishonesty in obtaining the warrant.

18. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Reading? Really? What's the scoreboard? Does he know it's a Sunday? Time to go dark.

Peace sucka!

20. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm still waiting for something to show me why the 4 different Republican FISA judges were wrong in granting the warrant. What you posted certainly doesn't do that.