1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Trade option(s)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ZeroPoint, Apr 14, 2017.

1. jim1961

jim1961 Member

The better question is who will play SS playoff time if Correa is out?

2. Senator

Senator Member

I would not be so gloom and doom. Verlander and Morton would likely take 1-2 year contracts to see out their careers, and the Astros can afford to pay pitchers high amounts for a short time until 2022. Question is who are they willing to pay big money to over 4-5 years? Keuchel, Cole... they aren't no brainers like DeGrom or Severino.

3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I don’t think adding Abreu (who is really the only significant commitment, since Realmuto is an arb guy and Britton is a rental) will have any significant impact on their ability to extend Springer, Bregman, or Correa. My expectation all along was Altuve plus one other core guy, and making that move wouldn’t change that. I am also assuming Houston can sustain ~$180M in payroll.

raining threes likes this.
  4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Bregman if he had 2-3 months to get acclimated to SS.

HTown2017Champs and jim1961 like this.
  5. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

No way I’m giving up those guys for Realmuto if I’m not signing him to an extension. If you don’t have him long term and you don’t have those young guys either, that’s step 1 towards being back to 2012 style

6. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

If they think there is a chance this is long term for Correa, Bregman will be at SS regularly now

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

That was my point with earlier post.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

#4768 J.R., Jul 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

You mean 2009? 2012 was the first step toward the World Series. But either way, a players future free agency has very little bearing on his current trade value.

Most folks on this board know I’m a huge prospect guy. But I think people forget just how bad the situation was in 2011. ZERO farm system, zero quality long term big league assets, just a roster of overpaid, aging veterans. Houston would have to do a LOT to be that bad, and with Luhnow at the helm they will never have a farm that barren no matter how many prospects they trade away. As an example, just take a look at the prospects in High A and below who received a signing bonus of at least $700k:

IF: Nova, Cueta, J Perez, M Sierra
    OF: Celestino, Beer, Matijevic, Dawson
    P: Sandoval, Bukauskas, Schroeder, Macuare, E Rodriguez

Most teams add ~3 of those types each year, so Houston has ~4 years worth of those guys just in the lower levels of their system. And they’ll likely get addl picks as their key free agents leave. So while I would be the last guy to advocate gutting the farm, I’m definitely in favor of maximizing this competitive window even if it means letting go of some really good prospects.

10. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

So Yuli to 3rd, Abreu to 1st and JD backing them up?

11. Buck Turgidson

A's need starters, if they want to use their bullets to bolster an already strong pen, I say "go for it".

And Bregman does not need 2-3 months to get used to playing SS again, any more than Yuli would need 2-3 months to remember how to play 3B. Give CC a month, see what's up.

raining threes likes this.
  12. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I hate the Britton deal. I'm high on Perez and wouldn't move him for a rental that I'm not even really sure that we need. That seems not too smart. I'm ok with the other two deals. It seems like a lot heading to Miami.

13. HTown2017Champs

Big Perez fan here, too. All I would do would trade for Conley and Realmuto from Miami. NO to Abreu, and while I like Britton I'm starting to think that's not necessary.

Astros get Realmuto and Conley.
    Marlins get:
    RHP Rogelio Armenteros
    RHP David Paulino
    RHP Ken Giles
    OF Derek Fisher
    OF Gilberto Celestino
    C Garrett Stubbs

Resulting 25-man, if Correa is hurt, for the playoffs

CF: Springer
    LF: Kemp (L)
    2B: Altuve
    SS: Bregman
    RF: Reddick (L)
    DH: Gurriel
    C: Realmuto
    1B: Reed (L)
    3B: Davis

Bench: Stassi, Marwin, Marisnick/Straw, White/Tucker

I specifically made sure the lefties were nicely spread out. Reed at 1B and Yuli DH vs CLE; Gattis at DH and Yuli to 1B against NYY/BOS; Yuli at 1B and Reed DH for the WS.

Rotation: JV/Keuchel/Cole/Morton
    Bullpen: Lance, Conley, Devo, McHugh, Peacock, Harris/Smith, Sipp, Rondon

The first 5 can all go more than one inning, plus our starters usually have quality starts, so I'm fine with 4 bench players. Harris and Smith I o not trust too much. Harris against CLE, Smith against NYY/BOS.

14. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

You've got 3 guys in the lineup that I'd be truly surprised to even see on the roster come playoff time in Kemp, Reed and Davis.

MrBear1 likes this.
  15. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

16. Buck Turgidson

Do not trade: Tucker, Alvarez, Whitley, Col Perez.

Everyone else is fair game.

That should get you what you need bullpen and LF wise for the next 2+ months.

17. Do WHAT?

Do WHAT? Member

18. HTown2017Champs

Um, this specifically said IF CORREA CANNOT PLAY. I guess you could put Tucker instead of Kemp, but Kemp has been an on-base machine and I think he will have earned his spot. Def put Davis on the bench at least. Reed I said only plays (in my scenario) in a series against the Indians due to their all-righty rotation. Do you want Marwin playing everyday? He's not an everyday playoff, he's a utility player who belongs on the bench. 2017 was a fluke for him, accept it. And I really like Marwin aside from last night's crap.

19. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I could live with Tucker or Alvarez (but not both) heading out for Realmato b/c I think he's that good, and you have him for 3 seasons, but that would be presuming Springer is going to get re-signed. If you don't think you can get a reasonable deal with Springer then it becomes really really important to have multiple bullets to fire to replace an All Star caliber OF from young and cheap.
    Im the worlds biggest A.J. Reed fan (I thought) and believed and also a guy who wanted to keep villar instead of Marwin as a Swiss Army knife kind of guy but that’s just not how the organization thinks. If Correa can’t go it won’t be Reed. It will be Marwin. Just will. And I also don’t see Davis on the 25 man. Maybe Kemp. That’s not a value judgement by me of how I think the organization should handle things, that’s just me saying what I think they will do.

20. HTown2017Champs

But why does Marwin keep getting everyday playing time? Davis ould still be fine. WHY, and especially against lefties (like last night)? He's a switch-hitter in name only. As a righty, maybe he'll get a few singles here and there but that's it. All of his homers this year have been as a lefty so far. His time has come and gone, he has regressed badly.
    All that said, Realmuto would be very nice to get. All I want (though if we can also get Conley then do that). We have to get better as other teams get better, and that's what we need to do given our catching situation.