1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets add Duke's Trevon Duval to summer league roster

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

Asian joke. Reported.

Caesar, Smacktle, DonKnock and 4 others like this.
  2. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The things you read on the Internet ... smh.

The way I saw it this year for Duke was that none of the wing players could keep anybody in front of them. The two freshman bigs were slow to help and slow to rotate. Coach K ended up playing zone since it was the best fit for his starting five. In a different era, Coach K would not have to play freshmen as much and would have time to teach them how to play one-on-one and team defense.

#43 No Worries, Jun 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    D-rock and lionaire like this.
  4. lionaire

lionaire Member

lol what? that's a ridiculous thing to say. He did what he had to do with the players he had. It's not easy to take a new crop of blue chip recruits who all have huge egos and convince them to buy in on defense. On top of that you deal with huge roster turnovers every year. Last year it was Grayson and a bunch of freshman. K's put out incredible defensive teams in years past.

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Good because the team needs some scorers. Can't all be 3-D guys and point guards with broken jumpers.

6. lionaire

lionaire Member

Nah, his defense was definitely above average.

As far as him not looking NBA ready, there's an article by the ringer I think and basically it talks about how Duval and other players in similar situations are forced out to make room for the next recruiting class.

7. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Now if we can find a Steven Adams then this kid is going to average triple double for us.

8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

What is a steal in this scenario? Top 20 players ?

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yeah, but the chances of that happening are greater than the Rockets missing 27 threes in a row, which is 72,000 to 1

Shlt...I just triggered myself again. Need to exit the GARM for the night.

10. csc177

csc177 Member

Unfortunately he can’t shoot. That can be fixed though (in time). He’s a baller otherwise

MyLateRegistration likes this.
  11. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Before this thread I had no idea who he is, after watching only 1 minute of his highlights you can tell the guy is freakishly athletic and can play on both ends, very promising young talent.

don grahamleone likes this.
  12. csc177

csc177 Member

He will be the reason I watch summer league. This kid was the number one ranked pg coming out of high school and top 5 overall. Westbrook-like athleticism; NBA talent for sure.

Like I mentioned in my earlier post, his only knock is he can’t shoot, but he’s pissed he didn’t get drafted - he’ll be the biggest draft snub

clutchdabear likes this.
  13. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

If he hasn't improved his shot before Summer League Games, he won't make the team. He needs to shoot a high percentage from 3 and midrange first, passing, slashing, defense. Really hope he puts up big stats, improves gets a contract.

14. kevtse

kevtse Member

PG who cant shoot? Reminds me of Rondo. He can survive in the NBA, but not with the Rockets tho.

MyLateRegistration likes this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That is some Westbrick elevation.

16. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

Accepting Duke's bribes offers destroyed his chances of NBA Draftdom. A system where he dominates the ball as the lead guard, like Young and Sexton, hides a lot of decencies (IE: Fultz and Ball being unable to shoot FTs). If you switched out Sexton and Duval before the college season began, Duval becomes a lotto pick and Sexton falls to the second round. I am no fan of Sexton btw, he can't shoot and his finishing ability is mediocre at best (something Duval excelled at), but Duval going undrafted hinged heavily on going to a school that requires you to be a spot up shooter, defer to Grayson on the perimeter, and be gone after one year if you don't life up to expectations, because the next set of super recruits are coming to take your place.

Smacktle, BigShasta, Deckard and 3 others like this.
  17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

It will be nice to see him playing with a chip on his shoulder. Ditto for Adel.

18. TheSource

TheSource Member

This guy is basically Dejounte Murray

19. MyLateRegistration

3 inches shorter and worse

justtxyank likes this.
  20. csc177

csc177 Member

Murray’s a shooting guard converted to point. Duval is a superathletic point. I’m looking forward to seeing how this plays out. Duval destroyed Sexton during their matchups and he was a lotto pick - I think he opens eyes this summer.