1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Royals @Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

LED lights burn much cooler than most lights.

Ball travels better with heat.

Heat rises, so balls that caught altitude traveled farther.

2. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

So you guys want Adam Everett, Ricky Gutierrez as your SS? Seriously badmouthing Correa, after coming away with Clutch hits, Franchise breaking Home Runs, RBIs as a SS. Never in the Franchise had we ever had a young SS like him ever. Winning in the Postseason wasn't enough, Winning a World Series is never enough for you guys.

tmactoyao and texans1095 like this.
  3. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Yea because at 23 it’s obvious what a player is and will always be. Won’t ever be improving once you reach that advanced age

texans1095 likes this.
  4. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

You will never satisfy people like them, ever

tmactoyao and texans1095 like this.
  5. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Trout, Altuve, Betts are in their prime. Correa has 3 to 4 seasons to be in his prime age 26-32

texans1095 likes this.
  6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Random variance, nothing else.

Maybe the new batting eye is having an effect, but it effects both teams. We dominated at home down the stretch and in the playoffs. Could just as easily happen this year.

texans1095 likes this.
  7. conquistador#11

correa needs one week where he's hot and he's back to batting .295ish

MMP woes. new stadium! make sure it has a roof.

texans1095 likes this.
  8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And you really postulate that has this much effect on a baseball?

Not trying to argue. Definitely curious. First time I’ve seen anybody bring that up as a theory.

On that note, was that also a possible additional reason why the Astrodome was as hard to hit in as any place in baseball? Has Houston’s humidity actually been serving as the biggest deterrent to offense all this time??

Although it’s counter intuitive since balls do fly further in warmer air... and the offense did pick up last year as well at home as it got warmer.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I think every team will be a mixed bag at home.

The Astros have had offensive woes on the road as well.

They do make up a helluva lot of ground by pounding the ball in Oakland...

10. jim1961

jim1961 Member

[​IMG]

This pretty much sums things up from a historical point if view for me. The article goes on say ...

We know something's changed, but it's not clear what. Maybe it's the batter's eye, which has been adjusted at least once since it was installed for 2017. Maybe it's the lights, or the psychology of the short porch looking so close, or something we can't guess at all. Either way, the park that allows baseball's easiest homers doesn't play like you think it does. It doesn't boost offense, aside from a few cheap dingers. It might be just the opposite.

marks0223 likes this.
  11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Adjusting the humidity of the rooms the balls are stored in Colorado has lowered the ERA there by about a run. It causes the balls to be deaden on impact and reduce exit velocity. MMP is seeing an reduction in exit velocity versus how teams hit elsewhere. So, it is a possible that differences in humidity where balls are stored at MMP and elsewhere could impact performance a lot in the way balls in MMP are being impacted. I would expect the balls to be stored in an AC room so I don't think this is a good possibility. That said, there really isn't a good explanation including randomness.

My best guess is that something has made it slightly harder for hitters to read the ball in MMP.

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

2016 could be a data blip. 2017 and 2018 have been more different to 2016 than 2016 was to 2015.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I was fully aware of Colorado’s system. But that’s much more sophisticated, and has a more testable effect on the baseballs, than what you’re suggesting (that the balls aren’t being stored in a cooler area).

I just wanted to know if this was your own theory or if you heard it somewhere, or was it published somewhere.

14. jim1961

jim1961 Member

[​IMG]

I am trying to guess what the batter sees. I drew strait lines threw where the pitcher is (red) and where his release point could be (green) from a righty batters point of view. Sure looks like the batters eye is woefully too small.

marks0223 likes this.
  15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Science isn't different in Colorado and Houston. You place a ball in a humid environment, it will soak up moisture. You place a ball in a dry environment, and it will lose moisture. In Colorado, you need a system to add moisture. In Houston, we lower the moisture content of the air with ACs. Temperature isn't a factor except it is the mechanism that water is added, subtracted from air.

Here's an article on humidity and baseball....https://www.fangraphs.com/tht/some-physics-of-humidors/.

It speculates that placing balls in AC-controlled rooms will increase offense and that balls are being required to be AC'ed this year. If Houston is storing their balls in a more humid environment on average by about 17 more percentage points than other teams, it would explain the exit velocity change.

16. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

How big is MMP's compared to others ?

17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

We have one of the smallest outfields in baseball.

18. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I am not going to run down every park, but some are huge like

[​IMG]

Others are small like ours.

19. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I think we are talking about the batters eye size, not the size of the outfield.

Houstunna likes this.
  20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

So again... is this your theory or have you heard something regarding the Astros (or are u just quoting fangraphs again?)

Also, fully aware of the science behind it... although I doubt Houston (or other cities) humidity has changed that much over the last 100 years to all of a sudden impact baseball.

It’s a neat theory... but highly dubious that this is the reason why, unless again you’re privy to something nobody else knows.