1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New Grad looking for Chemical Engineering Jobs

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rocketsjudoka, May 18, 2018.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

One of my students graduated with a Bachelor's degree in Chemical Engineering and a minor in Chemistry from the University of Minnesota. He's from Chicago and has started looking for jobs in Illinois but is willing to broaden his search. I know there are a lot of Clutchfans in the oil industry and probably a few who are chemical engineers. Do any of y'alll know of job opportunities that I could pass onto my student?

2. CCorn

CCorn Member

Most major chemical companies, DuPonte/DOW will pay to relocate. I would imagine they’d have recruiters at school job fairs.

3. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Halliburton would hire him. With oil picking up they'll need all the field engineers they can get. If he's interested have him apply...it would be better for him to actively go to a job fair and speak to one of the recruiters. If he's hoping for a desk job he'd be better to go elsewhere though. Field engineering is typically 2 weeks on 1 off...12 hours a day...days and night shifts. I loved it though. To each his own. 100k after 2 or 3 years...300-400k/year after 4 or 5 years consulting if they want to go that route.

Deckard likes this.
  4. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Thanks will pass that info on to him.

5. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

They should go to northwest North Dakota/east Montana; they will never, ever have a large enough population, particularly of engineers, CPAs or MBAs, to fill leadership roles in the refineries, wells or oilfield services companies. The major electric and gas utility out there, Montana-Dakota Utilities, has Associate Gas Engineer/Associate Electric Engineer jobs that basically just put together all the operations reporting for plant managers and energy buyers, and puts them in succession for either officer/executive roles or allows them to transition to any of the engineering firms out there. Logistics, Planner/Scheduler, any kind of Manager of any operational division, any Leadership Development Program at any oil, gas, chemical or pharma manufacturer, your student should be good.

They could also invest in a Linkedin premium account, do a search for houston staffing and just start cold-emailing energy industry headhunters in Houston, he'll get enough responses to still sort out all the liars and sociopaths but still have some decent, legitimate offers.

cheke64 likes this.
  6. cheke64

cheke64 Member

that part, what you mean?

7. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I think he means fake job opportunities or scams on Linked in.

jbasket likes this.
  8. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Also fake phone appointments just to connect to you on Linkedin and mine your contacts. And real phone appointments for a "career review," where they ask if you've interviewed anywhere and then ask you for each of the companies and their contact information, and then equivocate or get defensive when you ask if they actually have any roles to discuss with you. Or the fake job postings where they tell you during the phone meeting that the client actually has two or three slots in the role, and ask you for contact info for other potential candidates. Or the email from one recruiter about a job, then when you get back to them they realize their colleagues already submitted you for the job, but then they still ask you if you know of anyone else for the job.

jbasket likes this.
  9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

In this economy he may need to start at Starbucks and work his way up to Home Depot.

10. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Thanks for the info. I'm glad I'm not having to look for a job for myself right now with stuff like that going on.

11. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Yeah, sorry for the rant; just couldn't help but think of all the bizarre experiences I've had with these guys over the years. In all honesty my father was a process engineer for 30 years after BS/MSChE and pretty much used headhunters his entire career, so your student's major should garner a better return on that investment, but filtering the list either using Linkedin premium (since they block multiple searches for free users) or some Book of Lists from energy specific cities or regions' business journals should help.

12. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Not the one right now, compared to fall 2000, fall 2001 or ten years ago, and not with a ChemE degree. This is probably the best time to apply for professional jobs as boomers are retiring en masse and recruiters are overcompensating for all the reports about low unemployment and lack of workers.

jbasket likes this.
  13. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

Nothing works better for new hires than knowing someone in the company. Checked LinkedIn, Facebook, the alumni association. Doors magically open when you have friends in low places.

14. jbasket

jbasket Member

1. Are there job portals on his university? Are there job fairs at his university? Does he have good relationship with professors/people that can recommend him? Alumni he knows? Uni might be the best way to find something (imo it doesn't matter where you go, but *who* you meet).
    2. See if there is an AIChE thing going on around. He can network there.
    3. Does he have former internship experience & people he knows from there he can reach out to?
    4. Reach out to dandorotick for resume help? ;P
    5. Send resume? Don't think I know anything around right now, but I can check...
    6. Machine gun online applications, never know.

If he can't find things, jobs in obscure areas are less in demand, for obvious reasons, as pouhe mentioned. Might have to bite the life bullet for a year there.

15. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

That's why I'm tapping clutchfans

16. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

My advice... Suggest that he considers an MBA eventually. Lots of opportunity for engineers in corporate strategy and planning/development. He’ll be able to pay off his student loans with his first yearly bonus.

Also, he should really consider relocating to Houston.

17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Yes, I love all those. I also love the "jobs" where they have some admin call you and ask bland questions, knowing the only answer they care about is how much money do you want. I suspect they either hire the "lowest bidder" (qualifications be damned) or they pull the job completely.

As far as a Chemical Engineer? I would be stunned if the OP's graduating student went without a job for long. Chemical Engineers make some good cha-ching. Female candidates especially, given how it's traditionally a male-dominated field.

18. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Thanks for the advice so far and have passed it on to my students. Any more info is appreciated.

19. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Oil and gas is a dying industry for someone that young. Especially if he isn't from Houston I don't see the any real reason to come here.

20. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Disagree, I think high demand for natural gas will exist well into the future. Not to mention the fact that OP mentions chemical engineering. Houston is home to one of the world’s largest petrochemical corridors. Telling a chemical engineer NOT to consider moving to Houston is just flat out poor advice. Regardless of thier age.