1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sterling Brown Police Incident

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tmacfor35, May 23, 2018.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Interesting you're approaching this incident with a new angle on the traditional argument.

2. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

This is what happens when assholes meet and one is a cop.

3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Ignore Nazis just not illegal parking at 2am in an empty parking lot. Mkay.

4. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Think what these cops did was despicable...no need for the response they had. Situations like this require calm people, and it seemed for the most part that Brown was nervous but relatively calm in the face of being surrounded by the cavalry...

Starting to believe that for your own safety, you should start recording any encounter you have with LEO. Do everything they say, but you need to keep yourself safe. In the advent of so many phones etc, we really need to record.

5. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

The man aggressively came towards the cop and had hands in his pockets. Plus he did not listen when told to back up. All in all it could have been handled better, but I saw the aggressive behavior as an agitator.

BruceAndre likes this.
  6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Reactions to this video are proof that people don't see truth, they see what they watn to see.

If you see Sterling Brown being "aggressive" in any way from that video than you are biased beyond hope.

Now, he did break two rules that anyone should follow in an encounter with a cop:
    1) Follow instructions.
    -Mr. Brown was told to take his hands out of his pockets and he challenged the instruction. That was a mistake. It's not "aggressive" but it's stupid.
    2) Don't get into verbal spats with cops.
    -Mr. Brown decided to challenge the officer. "Why? What for? You don't own me! Look me up." etc. etc. It's not right, but we all know how cops react to people they think are "mouthy." This is a lesson my brother still hasn't learned as a nearly 40 year old man. Cops have guns and will almost ALWAYS get away with excessive force. When you are in a confrontation with one, no matter how agitating they are to you, it's NEVER the right decision to get into a verbal war with them. It's too easy for you to lose and the price is too much to pay.

I don't have a problem with the cops taking down a person who refuses to take his hands out of his pockets. I don't get why he needed to be tased once he was on the ground. As for why they didn't just give him a parking ticket and move on? Well obviously the cop decided as soon as he pulled up that this was going to be something more. He wanted to search that car. It's 2am, the guy is parked across two lanes, the cop has decided he's about to get a drug bust.

#26 justtxyank, May 24, 2018
    Last edited: May 24, 2018
  7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Aggressively? Are you anti social? When someone asks me a question I approach them to make sure I here the question.

I would also keep my hands in my pockets because if you suddenly take your hands out you'll get shot by a scared cop.

God help you.

joshuaao and edwardc like this.
  8. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Let me know when Nazis do something illegal. I'd love to see them get some karma their way.

9. justtxyank

When he was surrounded by cops and they told him to take his hands out his pockets he needed to comply. Asking questions or saying "but I'm cold" in that situation was so stupid that I have to hope he was high. You are screwed at that point. These cops have you surrounded and they obviously see you as a threat. Don't be stupid in that moment and risk getting yourself killed. They tell you take your hands out, you slowly start pulling your hands out.

This isn't a defense of the cops I'm giving, it's a condemnation of a person making really stupid choices in a situation that had escalated. Very immature rather, not stupid. Recognize the situation you are in and start thinking about your life man don't think about being the tough guy.

10. REEKO_HTOWN

What a crock of ****! He was standing there for 10 minutes with the first officer and he didn't see him as a threat. He suddenly get surrounded by 8 cops and NOW he's a threat?

Remember that first officer telling him, "I can do what I want, I own this". That's America now bootlickers.

What kind of r****ded mindset is that?

JuanValdez likes this.
  11. justtxyank

I didn't say he was a threat, I said the cops who surrounded him have decided to treat him as one/see him as one.

It is a crock to be sure, but still recognize the situation for what it is not what it should be. You are surrounded by six armed men who give you an order. You know about the history people like you have with people like them. The order is a simple one. Follow it. That situation could have ended so much worse.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  12. REEKO_HTOWN

So what your saying is, swallow your pride and lick the boot. This **** has to stop. Stop and Frisk was deemed illegal, What you saw them do to Brown was unconstitutional. A non parking violation turned into an illegal detention and search.

If you don't exercise your rights because you feel Cops can deny them to you you are failing as an American. It's everything our founding fathers fought for and you're laying down.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  13. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

You follow it and you might end up shot. Lose-Lose at that point. BTW, he had his hands in his pockets several times in the video, including to grab his keys to turn off the car alarm. Not sure why it was suddenly a problem.

justtxyank likes this.
  14. justtxyank

Already said the cops were wrong and it's ridiculous how easy they get away with stuff like this.

My 34 or 35 year old brother (age at the time) got roughed up by a cop during a traffic cop and his "offense" was that he was mouthing off to the cop about his constitutional rights. My brother was right of course, the cop wanting to search his car for a speeding ticket was ridiculous and violated his Constitutional rights. He still lost the encounter.

You can feel good about your pride I guess, but when surrounded by six copys, all armed, and they give you an order to remove your hands from your pockets (an order that is not unconsitutional by the way) you being prideful can get you killed. So good for you, you didn't "lick the boot." Hopefully that will give comfort to your family and friends at your funeral.

The Sterling Brown takedown could have so easily ended up as so many of the other videos do.

Anyway, on this case I'm not sure they actually violated the Constitutional rights of Mr. Brown by detaining him outside of his car. The cop didn't search the car at first, he was asking questions. He was certainly hostile to Mr. Brown and clearly this was a cop who thought he was going to get a good bust here. I don't know what role race played (though I can guess!) but the cop clearly decided instantly that this was going to be "one of those situations." None of that changes that Sterling Brown was surrounded by six cops who issued him an order to remove his hands and he refused.

15. REEKO_HTOWN

A cop will shoot you for doing what they ask. It's like playing a life or death version of Operation with these ****s!

16. MacLovin

MacLovin Member

I don't get how people don't understand this. I've never committed a crime but I still get super nervous around cops. If I get pulled over, I turn on my interior lights, put my hands on my wheel, etc. I value not getting tasered, searched, beaten, etc. over any sense of personal pride.

The message we need to be putting out is for people to comply with cops and get out of these situations alive, not that the cops are racist and are going to shoot them no matter what.

17. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

18. edwardc

edwardc Member

Man what rock have you been under.

justtxyank likes this.
  19. REEKO_HTOWN

Personal Pride? It's your ****ing rights! What kind of society are we when we just start giving up what make America America.

Would you point out the Jews in France just because you wanted to get home quickly and not have to deal with Nazi officers? WTF kind p*****s are ya'll?

20. justtxyank

Seriously.

The cop asked for his license. He walked up to him and gave it to him. The cop pushed him away from him. The cop claimed the id was fake. The cop continually antagonized him throughout the video including taunting him after he had already been tasered and cuffed. I'm surprised he didn't say "thug ball" or "Chicago" somewhere in his dialogue.

Don't confuse me saying Sterling made some mistakes in his situation for a defense of the cops. My criticism of his decisions is not about him being in any sort of "wrong" it's about realizing your life is in danger and thinking clearly about the best way to save your life. Sterling is lucky to be alive. That cop could have easily drawn a gun and shot him to death when he didn't take his hands out of his pockets and you'd have dips all over the country (including this board) that would have called it justified.