1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Star Wars Episode VIII

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Deuce, Jan 20, 2016.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Works for me. Your posts on this topic are probably more entertaining than the movie itself, and it doesn't take 2.5 hours of my life to read your posts either.

2. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I heard the new director blows, haven't seen it yet, but that's what everyone is saying.

3. Caesar

Caesar Member

Need to watch it again to truly see how I feel and where it ranks. I know there was a lot I liked and a lot I didn't like. It captured a few moments of the magic of the original trilogy but mostly I still don't like the visual style, still don't care much for Kylo, very disappointed we got no big mystery reveals other than a cop out answer and a quick ending to another....did Damon Lindelof write some of this film? I didn't like how Luke looked honestly. They should have went with a fuller beard and longer hair, and more gray.

Invisible Fan and mikol13 like this.
  4. VanityHalfBlack

Was it better than Rogue One? That's all I want to know. Rogue One is top 3 star wars films for me.

RudyTBag likes this.
  5. Caesar

Caesar Member

Much better than Rogue One and Force Awakens.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  6. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I'm really torn on this one. Some of the best Star Wars scenes ever, and some that felt like they had no business being in the movie.

I think the positive outweigh the negatives. I did hear this from some folks:

The Force Awakens is a little less good every time you see it and the Last Jedi is a little bit better every time you see it. Multiple people have told me its better on the second or third viewing.

7. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

About Kylo
    Hard to buy into him as the big bad, it didn't feel like he leveled up enough to be more of a threat than Snoke. Who the hell was Snoke and how was he interfering with Ben's training while on the island?

About the beginning text crawl
    HILARIOUS how it just states the First Order has won, without explaining how. It's not like they had lost the war 30 years ago or just lost ANOTHER superweapon. Major flub on the New Republic to just lose power.

Hopefully the bold choices make it more rewatchable in the long run, which turned out to be a sneaky problem with TFA.

Caesar likes this.
  8. Nero

Nero Member

STOPPED READING HERE.
    Nothing else needs to be said by Jontro about Star Wars.
    Ever.

whiskeyred likes this.
  9. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

Just got back. I enjoyed it, but not blown away.

10. Vivid

Vivid Member

11. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

I'm torn on this movie. It was equally great and bad.

12. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

I thought Hamill was great but I don't want to spoil anything so I'll just leave it as that.

13. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I read too many of the EU novels as a teenager. I was interested to see how the movies would portray him, as he was pretty much an idealized champion of the Light side in the novels. I really enjoyed his character arc in the movie.

14. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

Just finished seeing it. Count me among those that liked it a lot overall. Better than Rogue One. It's nearly as good as TFA...maybe even on par with it.

A few scenes did feel forced and rushed.

15. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

This was the first time in any of the previous films I can recall them mentioning...

anything close to 'God' with the Godspeed line

16. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

75% of Luke's screen time was on the island, though. Even the later scene you reference, while awesome, was completely
    neutered by the fact that it was all an illusion. I could have lived with that as a plot device (as weak as it may be), but then why kill him off remotely??? I like the fact they were willing to strike Luke down, but it would have been far more effective to have him actually fight Kylo Ren in person and give himself up Obi-Wan style. That would have carried way more emotional impact.

Let me count the ways that I didn't like Luke Skywalker in this film.

1. A Day in the Life of the Last Jedi - See Luke climb. See Luke fish. See Luke ... milk a walrus? See Luke look broodingly into a pool. None of it is compelling, none of it.

2. They're the original Odd Couple - Rey says yes, Luke says no, let's see what wacky hi-jinks ensue. Silly Rey, did you put a hole in Luke's temple? It's OK, we have a bunch of dolphins dressed in nun's habits to clean up ... on this supposedly deserted island.

3. Laura Dern - You say she no place in a list of things I didn't like about Luke? I'll give you that, but she also no place in The Last Jedi, so we'll call it even. I mean why introduce a new character who serves no purpose other than to take time away from characters that we actually may moderately care about.

4a. Comedic Luke - The lightsaber scene that emotionally ended The Force Awakens, setting up this entire film? Let's just flip it over our shoulder comically. Jakku??? ZING!!! Don't forget to tip your waitress.
    4b. Brooding Luke - Luke looks broodingly at a tree. Luke looks broodingly at some books. Luke looks broodingly at a porg. Luke looks broodingly into a pool (oh, I covered that one already?).

Let's face it, Mark Hamill isn't a very good actor. There's a reason why he only does voiceover work now. I just don't think he did a very good job with the role, one that he wasn't given much to work with anyway.

#336 Hammer755, Dec 15, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
    dmenacela, MadMax and Jontro like this.
  17. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

I'm not sure what I thought. Definitely didn't dislike it but not sure. Fortunately I am taking my son tomorrow so should know after a second viewing. It was worth seeing for sure but hmmmmm....it just felt...crowded

#337 Blake, Dec 15, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    Jontro likes this.
  18. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Look, I’m 45 and remember watching Star Wars in the theatre at a very young age. I’m a fan. I could not wait to share Star Wars with my boys. Again, i’m a fan.

I was incredibly disappointed. It did not feel like Star Wars to me. Felt like a stand alone at best. It had some moments and it had the potential to be great. It just wasnt.

No spoilers for me. You can judge for yourself.

MadMax and Torn n Frayed like this.
  19. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I loved it. I thought it was extremely well done. It's definitely a lot different from TFA, but that's not a bad thing.

20. Caesar

Caesar Member

how did puppet yoda look so much more real as a living character and force ghost in the OT compared to TLJ? He looked okay in the scenes where he's sitting down, but when they first show him and when hes walking and laughing on his back kicking his little feet, he looks odd...too brightly lit and more cgi looking. He looked like a CGI version of the puppet. Why not just do the damn puppet? That scene could have been so much more for me if i wasn't distracted by how bad yoda looked and sounded.

Very disappointed once again for a 2nd time in John Williams. I really love Rey's theme, but nothing else stands out. The master was one of the only good things about the PT but he's just been generic and repetitive with this new trilogy.

I'm totally on George Lucas's side..Disney Star Wars is just remaking the OT with bits and pieces of each of the OT mixed into each movie. TLJ had a ton of ESB and ROTJ borrowed scenes. The trench warfare like Hoth. The "join me and together we can rule the galaxy" bs..bunch more stuff. The throne room from ROTJ. The cuddly new creatures like ROTJ.
    Nothing is new. It's just remixed. George actually took a huge risk and made something completely different with the prequels. I respect and appreciate the visual concepts especially with the way he borrowed designs from the 50's and 60s fashion and sci fi while the OT had 70s and 80s era sci fi and fashion. This new trilogy should have taken concepts of todays technology and fashion instead of trying to do a retro 70's look. The universe should have evolved as each trilogy was meant to. How does anything barely change in 3 decades? Everything about these movies visually just doesn't feel right.