1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where are the tax cuts?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Ubiquitin, Feb 8, 2017.

1. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

Let’s not get bogged down on how many pages or what’s typed vs what’s handwritten. I’ll summarize the tax plan for you right here:

Trickle down
    Start a business
    Let them eat cake

2. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

tldr: everyone pays more taxes except top .1%. Lobbyists OP! Trickle down has always worked! /s

[​IMG]

B-Bob likes this.
  3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

4. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

And again rearing it’s head is the fact that “blue states” lose out.

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Susan Collins also traded her vote in exchange for a promise from McConnell to vote on Obamacare fix.

Guess what - that promise lasted 48 hours, which is not even as long as it took McConnell to get on board with welcoming a child-raping pedophile into the Senate.

Good dealmaking, Susan.

Nook likes this.
  6. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Voters in Maine need to just vote out Susan and replace her with a Democrat, just get rid of moderates, they serve no useful purpose.

7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  8. NewRoxFan

9. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

My friend, please remember this is a middle class tax break reform. Middle, like the middle finger.

10. adoo

adoo Member

11. conquistador#11

so the " 'believe me', I'm going to lose money from this deal." isn't true? I'm highly shocked and disappointed at MY PRESIDENT!
    :sniff sniff

12. NewRoxFan

next time someone tries to bring up Marco Rubio... sold out for three fricken hundred dollars... shameless

13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Smart play. Can stick that pathetic gesture in a campaign ad when he runs for reelection, or if he tries to primary Two Scoops. He's the conservative who's a gentleman and has a heart, don't you see.

14. Major

Major Member

Of the many, many things to complain about in this bill, I find it hard to argue against Rubio here. Like the rest of them, he was going to support this bill in the end - but he held out for something that truly benefits the poor (if they have kids). This wasn't an increase in the child tax credit, but an increase in it's refundability, so it has no effect on the middle class, but it does make a real difference to the poor.

The rest of the bill certainly sucks and is harmful to the poor & middle class, but he's the only GOPer that I've seen that used his leverage to help benefit the poor here, and he did it without much benefit to him (no one is going to remember or credit him for this).

Hakeemtheking and Rashmon like this.
  15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

And it is $300 more per child per family than it was going to be.

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Reminder that Obama's #1 policy talking point going into 2008 was the Bush tax cuts. This is the Bush tax cuts on steroids.

If you are a middle income Republican conservative voter, there is no way in hell you should want this to pass. It doesn't benefit you at all, and will lead to a major platform for Democrats to run on as soon as next year which will cost you the ability to get the conservative laws in place that you really want.

I personally am in the tax bracket where this will likely have no impact on me at all other than the fears of the deficit, and the affect this will have on the fed needing to raise interest rates which could lead to a recession in a year or two. Its Capitalism... a recession is due, but this certainly wont help, and will most likely be a huge talking point for Democrats. Why any non-millionaire conservative would want this is beyond me.

17. Major

Major Member

Disagree with this. In 2008, Obama's top talking points were Iraq, Health Care, and the economic crisis. No one particularly hated the Bush tax cuts because they really did benefit everyone (unlike these), and he didn't really make it a big campaign issue. Ultimately, Obama made permanent the Bush tax cuts for 98% of the country but used the top 2% of the cuts as a weapon, but that was in 2012.

I do agree that the 2017 tax cuts will be more problematic for the GOP.

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I guess I just remember the campaign differently, but yeah those other points were key as well. I remember the Bush tax cuts being a big talking point for years and years, but it was W we are talking about which might have been the worst presidency in modern day history up to this point. Trump seems to want to try and win that badge of honor though, and the tax cuts will follow him throughout his legacy. In the end he'll be known as a lying billionaire who stacked his cabinet with billionaires, and gave a payday to his billionaire and millionaire friends.

19. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Just when you thought it couldn't get worse, it does.

Mom, Pop -- you're the losers in this tax plan
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/14/opini...l-small-business-zimmerman-opinion/index.html

(CNN)As the Republican tax plan continues to advance -- and morph -- with dizzying speed, those of us in the accounting business continue to be astonished by the thickening maze of loopholes emerging from the bill.

As a CPA, I could be celebrating these loopholes. After all, I would be able to save my clients a lot on taxes and could be invited to fly along to, say, the Cayman Islands to set up an offshore account under the new regulations. Four days at the beach with a fully-stocked hotel minibar and all the HBO and Showtime programs I can watch -- all fully deductible for me and my client. Sounds nice, right?

Wrong. As someone who has served small businesses for more than 30 years, and co-chair of an organization called Businesses for Responsible Tax Reform, I am not cheering. Small business owners aren't cheering the bill either.

Quite the opposite. This bill, despite the glossy, small business-friendly language being used to sell it, would actually do more to widen the tax advantage gap between large businesses and small ones than our present -- and already tilted tax code -- does. This bill does just that, thanks to the change from a worldwide tax system, which requires US companies to pay Uncle Sam taxes on all their profits, regardless of where the income is earned, to something called a territorial one, under which companies don't owe taxes to their own governments on income they make offshore.

This change, if enacted, would encourage wealthy businesses to learn how to go offshore to gain a more favorable tax rate than is available within our borders -- giving them a significant financial and competitive advantage over our neighborhood mom and pops trying to stay afloat onshore.

Main Street small businesses aren't among the lucky beneficiaries of a territorial tax system. Right now, companies must pay taxes if they repatriate earnings made outside the United States. But by shifting the tax code from a worldwide system to a territorial one, they would no longer have to pay any tax on repatriated foreign earnings; the US tax is simply eliminated on foreign income.

Businesses would be allowed to shift profitsoffshore to avoid American tax rates. Essentially that means we would be creating a tremendous incentive to reassign or push profits offshore; businesses with the financial wherewithal and accounting savvy to take advantage of it could create perfectly legal tax shelters.

While this kind of tax sheltering, to date, has been the gambit of large corporations, I'm already seeing a lot of business owners, including wealthy pass-through businesses, asking about setting up businesses offshore to take advantage of a lower tax rate. Who am I not seeing ask about this? My neighborhood day care provider, brew pub owner and dry cleaner -- the small businesses that bring vitality to our communities and ground all our lives.

As professionals who parse the concrete numbers, not the airy promises of our leaders in Congress, accountants like me are in a position to know the truth about this bill. You can't fool the accountants.
    At the same time, no one should be trying to fool America's small businesses, either. The GOP tax plan does little to help America's small businesses. Instead it is an enormous transfer of wealth to large companies and wealthy families paid for by the middle class and America's hardworking small business owners.

Congress must stand up and do what's right for small businesses, the backbone of our economy. This means lawmakers need to end this charade, go back to the drawing board, and thoughtfully and deliberately develop a plan based on sound economic policies that actually help real small businesses.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  20. NewRoxFan

Look at what was slipped in at the last minute...

Last minute provision in GOP tax bill would benefit Trump, Corker: IBTimes
    Oh sure...
    http://thehill.com/policy/finance/3...rump-corker-ibtimes?__twitter_impression=true

B-Bob and FranchiseBlade like this.