1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Fantasy Xmas Draft] The Breh strikes Back!

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by daywalker02, Dec 6, 2017.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

2. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

oladipo haters :cool:

wow you are moving fast. if i joined this, i would've been skipped 4 times today.

BigMaloe and Yung-T like this.
  3. KiwiRoxFan

KiwiRoxFan Member

Booo, we should be able to vote holistically, so long as we describe our thought process in detail. Not to mention, offense matters more than defense IMO. But with this system, it doesn't matter what I think about these relative values - it just matters what Jontro thinks.

4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Will try to come up with a satisfying solution, we shouldn't solely rely on points.

KiwiRoxFan likes this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Could be a hybrid solution. I was just speaking for myself because I couldn't find many words for all the talent.

We were debating if a team of Giannis, Porzingis, Hakeem, Jerry West, Bradley Beal could outscore Lebron James, Chris Paul and other defenders.

It's really subjective but out of 10 games they could win 6 or 7 times. And that lineup somehow lost.

6. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Yea we'll try do some kind of hybrid solution. Know many were frustrated when we implemented the category+point system because it didn't paint the whole picture.

We didn't attribute points to each category though and instead the poster with more categories won advanced to the next round, which was a bad method. Jontro's solution can work if we implement it the right way.

7. KiwiRoxFan

KiwiRoxFan Member

Sweet as, to be honest I'm not too familiar with all the judging schemes and you all have done this far more than me, so I'm agreeable to whatever is decided on. I'm just trying to point out that its not quite right for me to fit my ratings into a scheme where I don't agree with what it values or emphasizes. Will it award a win to a team I think is worse? So this 'con' is obvious.

I'm trying to think of the pros of a points system. I don't think it can remove personal bias - nothing can. Bottom line is if someone just doesn't like another user or one of their players, theres no way to stop them from awarding them a loss whether theres a points system or not. I don't even believe a points system can reduce bias. Fortunately, we are all honest people and this is a casual draft with no reward, so I'm not worried about this.

It seems the biggest value of a points system is forcing people to think more about different aspects of a team in order to award the point value, so people don't just look at a team and at a glance say one is better. It also provides transparency in their thought process. But these advantages can be achieved in other ways that remove the 'con' mentioned above, such as by requiring a certain amount of words and analysis for each topic (offense, defense, etc) without forcing them into judging strictly based on points.

Really though I think we all know that there's no way to judge teams very well - and we are all fine with this and enjoy the draft anyway! But how sick would it be if Morey or someone agreed to judge the draft for us??

Edit: hybrid system sounds good

Yung-T and daywalker02 like this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I agree but it is not like they dun like other users, is just they prefer ones they know better. It's like in real life but this cannot be a rudimentary mean of judging.

That would indeed be sweet if we had a GM or a professional looking over it.

KiwiRoxFan likes this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think people like Jontro or Donatasfan should weigh in, they did not draft but have an honest opinion.

And RedNation.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Notice me when you decide to skip.

11. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

you are participants, you decide how you want to be judged :p

we tried many different things with voting in the past. we had categories based voting, later we had a rule that you choose how you vote, but if you don't explain your vote, your vote doesn't count.

in the end the main problem is that most people just don't vote at all after round 1.

nothing wrong with trying something new, maybe more people will vote until they get bored again and we have to try something new again.

when we had categories based voting, i pretty much still voted based on overall feel.
    because it's easy to twist categories. it's subjective what each person considers for each category. say, 'defense' - what does this mean? does it mean 'how well you defend against all teams' or 'how well you defend in this particular matchup'?
    if Tizzle has a team of 5 Steph Curries, and i have a team of 5 Tony Allens, which of us has better defense? I think 5 Steph Curries would lock down 5 Tony Allens with ease. So Tizzle gets max points for defense and offense.
    or not.
    i used to just say **** like that when we had categories and picked the team i felt would win. :p

Yung-T and LCAhmed like this.
  12. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If it was 5 Stephs vs 5 One trick ponies that be easy af to judge.

Black and White instead of Grey areas.

14. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Agreed, always the issue is lack of judging after round 1. Since we're doing current draft, I can probably just run a 2k simulator?

Yung-T likes this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It would be da fastest way.

16. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Would also add a nice touch if you upload screenshots of the stats etc

daywalker02 likes this.
  17. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

There was a cool online simulator we used in a couple of prior drafts, but it was a long time ago. Can't remember what it was, though, and don't know if it even still exists :(

I'll try to go through old threads and try to find it if no one remembers. Might be fun to see the results that way even if you guys end up using another way of judging.

I think you could pick specific years of players too, so it might be useful in all-time drafts.

Yung-T likes this.
  18. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

That was easier than I thought. I'm pretty sure it had box scores and stats too, but I can't open the links anymore, so they probably expired.

Also, reading through that thread, seems like not too many people were a fan (who likes to rely on simulation to determine the outcome :p). Again, can use it just to see if it's useful

Yung-T, Jmcballer88 and LCAhmed like this.
  19. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Up to the guys if they want to run this or 2k simulator. I mean for all-time drafts, that would clearly be amazing! 2K may or may not cover everyone in all-time draft. but with this being current draft and I doubt anyone's gonna pick up a 10 day contract guy, 2k should be ideal.

Yung-T and RedNation like this.
  20. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

If I recall it was flawed. Like Rodman would get 30 rebounds over barkley and Hakeem or something

Yung-T likes this.