1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

CBS & PBS fires Charlie Rose following allegations of unwanted sexual advances

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by sugrlndkid, Nov 21, 2017.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not just taking the women's words for it. Charlie Rose hasn't denied the allegations but has said he misinterpreted the reactions from the women and also he's apologized. If you read the thread I created about this in hangout I say I'm a Charlie Rose fan and I'm very dissapointed in these allegations. I'm not buying into these to be Social Justice Warrior. Charlie Rose was a very good journalist and he helped to advance the careers of several women. That doesn't mean he also lacked self control and full of himself enough to believe he could get away with treating women this way.

As far as the Roy Moore allegations we have to look at the amount and pattern of accusations. Further due process is a legal defense. At the moment neither Rose or Moore are facing criminal charges.

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Admittedly I have a lot of respect for Al Franken.

The allegations against him are really tame. In the first allegation the picture in question is at USO show and I really don't think he is grabbing her. It's no telling what led up to it but it seems taken out of context that we don't have all the details of.

On the second allegation, I'm sure he is asked to take pictures often and putting your arm around someone who asks you to take a picture is natural. Did he grab her butt, i doubt it. More than sexually deviant it is just crass and seemingly totally out of character. At the same time something may have happened to make her feel like he grabbed her rear but I just can't see him purposely doing it.

Sexual harassment is a serious offense and I don't know if the media is being fair or not to both sides but some of the hysteria does seem to be a 24 hour news cycle product.

4. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

OK, so you said you were accused of sexual harassment. Fine, so it's a sensitive subject to you. And yes, we can't just find these individuals guilty w/o due process (e.g. studying the specific situation). But you have a situation here where, back when it happened, she posted on Facebook about it.

And Charlie Rose practically admitted to doing it.

Something tells me you're a bit naive here- or something else is up, because sexual harassment is MUCH more prevalent than you think.

We're only scratching the surface here. For every woman who is accusing a man of harassment when maybe he was merely flrting, there are 20 others who have dealt with actual harassment and haven't said anything.

I strongly recommend you do some research about this and see what women have to say. You're seeing things from that male perspective that includes: women who dress a certain way are asking for it, it's harmless to joke around about grabbing a woman's breast, you need picture evidence of an assault or it didn't happen, etc. It's wrong.

5. dandorotik

Also, the fact that you can't see him purposefully doing it when you don't even know what Al Franken is really like tells me that you're part of the problem. Because you could have just as easily said, "I don't see why this woman would make something like that up- and tell her husband and father."

The incredible irony of all this is that the guy you so vehemently try to defend- President Trump- is probably the #1 reason why all this started coming out.

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

What's ironic. Nothing about Trump is proven. What all started it was a stupid tape in which he us clearly joking and the media tried to run with it and say this guy really does grab p*****s when he wants.

What is ironic is you are referring to the media's worst transgression in this. The Trump tape is clearly stupid joking as if any man runs around grabbing women like that.

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Women and men working together is still a recent phenomenon.

I don't need pictures, sure a lot of it is misunderstanding or situations where the woman doesn't like the man to begin with.

I've also been on the other side of sexual harassment. A new female mgr at a bank branch whom the other women didn't like used to flirt with me. I mentioned in passing to another woman an assistant mgr and she asked me if I wanted to tell upper management. I said no it wasn't a big deal.

Next day I walk in the bank and I'm on conference call with human resources. Now first I understand I should have kept it to myself but the woman who went ahead and told human resources may have felt it was her responsibility but just like in the case I was accused, the new mgr was clearly having trouble fitting in.

When I tell people about these two situations I always say the difference was about 60 pounds on my part. But I digress

#27 pgabriel, Nov 22, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

@dandorotik

You prove my point about bias and personality conflict cause you can't stop talking about Trump but I have never defended Weistein

Edit: I'm not defending Rose either. I just posted in this thread (I haven't read his story)

I used to defend Clinton but have come to realize his case is text book harassment as a superior sleeping with a young intern, and it should be a no no regardless of consent

You as an arrogant liberal think you know how everyone views everything based on a few internet ramblings

#28 pgabriel, Nov 22, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Franken allegations are tame compared to what Rose and Moore are alleged as having done. As noted though Rose isn't denying the allegations. Franken hasn't denied that he acted innapropiately to Tweeden either. Regarding both Moore and Trump both have denied the allegations but there are several women coming forward with others providing some corroborating evidence. If this were a criminal case there might not be enough to convict them on but this does show very much a pattern. While we are learning about these allegations now the Trump ones were public knowledge before Trump ran for office and the Moore ones appear to have been widely known in Gadsen, AL.

An aside on the second Franken allegation at the MN State Fair. I agree that that one seems pretty weak. I've been to the MN State Fair several times and met several politicians there. They are shaking hands, posing for pictures and even hugging people almost the whole time they are there. That Franken might've pulled the accuser in close and even put his hand on her butt is believable but also could very much just have been an innocent mistake. I mean strictly speaking I could claim that Tim Pawlenty touched me innapropiately when he put his arm around me and his hand slid down my back when I met him at the Fair once.

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

While still important, your account is about a peer equal one level above or below you. Someone like Franken or Weinstein wields considerably more power and influence than any of us here.

It'd be more than just finding another job in another part of town or state.

B-Bob likes this.
  11. dandorotik

I refuse to stop talking about Trump because you continue to defend him out of some twisted, bizarre admiration. Do I really, really need to go over this again? ****ing Christ almighty:

1. You honestly, honestly, honestly think that there aren't men who have grabbed women's private parts, including their genitalia, without their permission? YOU ARE NAIVE. I can tell you about 5 off-the-bat right now from my very, very small microcosm. YOU ARE NAIVE to think that Trump was merely joking about this. NAIVE. You really should do some in-depth research on Trump- New Yorkers know him very, very well, and they all know about the stuff he did way before he started his presidential run.

2. You do realize that his own wife stated on record that he raped her- and that her retraction was highly suspect, right?

3. You do realize that this isn't like 1 or 2 incidents with Trump- you do realize that there are 16, right? And you do understand that it's nearly impossible to prove a case of this when someone's doing it in areas with no video cameras or tape recordings, right? That doesn't mean that every single one of these women are recalling the incidents 100%

But what you're telling me is that, in an instance in which 16 separate women, none of whom know each other, reported extremely specific details about Trump sexually harassing them- and corroborated by others they told at the time- you are telling me that you believe 100% that every one of these women are lying?

Even if you acknowledge that 1, only 1, of these women are telling the truth, you are acknowledging that Trump has sexually harassed a woman in an extremely explicit way (all 16 incidents fit in this category).

But instead, you bandy about this bullshit narrative that every one of Trump's 16 accusers are lying, that someone who says, "really, this is what they let you do" is without a doubt joking, and that someone who agreed with Howard Stern that his daughter was a "nice piece of ass" was.... well, you know, that jokester Trump! HA HA! HE WAS JUST JOKING ABOUT HIS DAUGHTER! I MEAN, WHO HASN'T DONE THAT, RIGHT???????

You're damn well ****ing right if you say that this sounds like I'm unhinged. I'm very ****ing unhinged right now. Rightfully so.

All that being said, I respect your opinion and wish you a happy Thanksgiving.

Rocket River likes this.
  12. dmoneybangbang

There is distinct difference in the way the two political parties are handling these types of allegations.

watashi315 likes this.
  13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I don't admire Trump I respect what he did in winning.

I don't think he is a sexual predator I do admire Franken

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Well women's lib is a beta liberal issue. That **** has nothing to do with conservatives, as boys will be boys, and locker room talk makes us tough outgoing alpha American sports loving warriors.

It's not like there's some moral hypocrisy going on with religion where Christian values are being tainted by the politicians who shroud themselves in it.

Wait.

That's besides the point. The point is that liberal hypocrisy is real folks. The fake media can't do this justice. Yeah, that's the point.

Keep that Liberal purge going!

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I watched the first three seasons of Mad Men and I'm sure the office was like that in reality when women first entered but that was a long time ago.

Boys and girls are getting sexual conduct training very early so there are no more cases of I didn't know I was crossing the line. If you cross the line you know it.

What kills me about topics about like this is a lot of members of clutchfans work in offices.

Do any of you see sexual harassment as rampant or even constant. Not what is reported just what do you see daily. Do you think your fellow man is like that. Ysll talk about studies like they were done on Mars.

16. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

They're typically not legal proceedings with criminal consequences of any kind, so nope. I think morphing it into a commentary about males in power is a little suspect, and on behalf of an already wealthy and entrenched group of women, but beyond that there's all kind of generational and subcultural brush to clear.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Sorry but . . .. . You do know you are speaking to a bot right?

Rocket River

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

This is a bit paranoid. The guys that are going down here all have done way more than having a compliment taken the wrong way.

Invisible Fan and DreamShook like this.
  19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

To put it mildly.

20. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Oh, I agree. Definitely paranoid. What is coming out against, what seems like everyone on earth, is far worse than a compliment being taken the wrong way. However, until further notice, there is an embargo on all compliments directed toward my co-workers. I don't care if that green dress matches your skin tone perfectly, Janet. I won't acknowledge it.