1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I think the astros can rectify a mistake by getting Justin Verlander

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by what, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

It looked like a laminated scouting report to me when i visited during the Rays series. He would pull it out and then adjust his position.

2. SemisolidSnake

I've been watching baseball for 28 years. I stopped watching the Astros in the 2000s when they couldn't muster enough offense to win brilliant games by their pitchers. I've been wary since, but I was thrilled to see an Astros team that was finally putting up consistent run production through a variety of means this year. But now the whole team looks all too familiar in this slump they're having. *shrugs* Calling someone a bandwagon fan is just sloppy, lazy pejorative.

Geez, I've never seen a forum that gets so blatantly pissy and insulting towards its members as Clutchfans.

3. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Nah man you're cool and welcome back. This team is the best offensive team I have seen in decades so don 't worry about the runs.

4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Real fans call it Aurelio Lopez's revenge, not the runs. Bandwagoner. o_O

msn and Astrodome like this.
  5. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

They want elite prospects and be off the hook for most of the 60 mil he's still owed. He's really not the pitcher anymore worth giving up for or adding significant payroll.

6. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Damn. I didn't think anyone else on here remembered Aurelio. Seeing him bat was an experience. He couldn't stop the momentum of a swing so just handed the bat offf from one hand to the other behind his back. Quite amusing.

CometsWin likes this.
  7. Major

Major Member

If you say stupid things like saying a pitcher would be concerned about playing for the best offensive team in baseball due to a lack of run scoring, you probably should expect to be called out on it.

8. Major

Major Member

We have no idea if he's even willing to pitch for the Astros. He's spent his whole adult life in Detroit, and he may simply have no interest in moving to Houston. There are a lot of moving parts in any trade, but especially one with so much money involved, so many opt-in and opt-out clauses, and a player who has full no-trade rights and can dictate his future.

9. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

Is that what she said?

Astrodome likes this.
  10. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

11. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

And his girlfriend (wife?) is from Michigan.

Any fan who thinks the Astros can just snap their fingers and land Verlander are either ill-informed or delusional. That no-trade clause is a GIANT stumbling block.

12. Buck Turgidson

Of course this will/can not happen, but they should just have an under the table deal with him and Detroit to trade him back this winter.

chievous minniefield likes this.
  13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

That would be interesting. "Take this deal and we'll have you back home before Thanksgiving."

Has that ever happened before? I would assume there would be no salary pick up and the return would be much smaller. Certainly would be a fascinating transaction to follow.

14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

The ol' "the PTBNL is you" trick.

cmlmel77 likes this.
  15. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

even if it were possible via a trade-back or an opt-out-and-resign-at-old-rate, he'd risk a reverse Boozer. Either team could back out of the would-be idea, and no one would hold it against them even if it came out

16. PhiSlammaJamma

He's on fire. Has a pedigree. But generally has been sliding in the wrong direction. No Bellinger that glorious afternoon either. I'd be excited to see...but moderate expectations.

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Textbook leak by the Tigers.

chievous minniefield likes this.
  19. vick

vick Member

Astros will not get Verlanfder. Not now and not ever.

Daddy Long Legs and CK Johnson like this.
  20. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Like I get that you don't know ish about baseball but why make a thread

Daddy Long Legs likes this.