1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[WWII Cinema] Christopher Nolan's 'Dunkirk'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by percicles, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Glancing at the reviews they seem superb. The one negative that was mentioned a few times was the coldness of it. Most likely the lack of any type of love story or saving of a Private Ryan type character arc, or even a main antagonist like in Platoon.

One reviewer though says this which makes sense to me...

Dunkirk wants us to sense what made this moment so pivotal without reducing it to an individual tale. And at that, it succeeds richly.

And another says this...

Christopher Nolan's epic isn't just the best film of his career, but one of the best war movies in decades.

3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

You can probably apply "coldness" to most of Christopher Nolan's movies. Maybe they can seem humorless and clinical. They aren't warm, cozy, gosh-I-forgot-to-call-my-dad-and-tell-him-I-love-him movies; but such films can have their own issues. I love Nolan's films. Looking forward to this one.

peleincubus and GRENDEL like this.
  4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

70mm, but NOT IMAX+70mm? Seems strange to not go for both.

5. 713

713 Member

6. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

You need a 9mm if you want to see 70mm.

7. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Haven't been there in years, but whats wrong with it? Seemed like your typical Clear Lake suburban crowd when I used to go.

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Doesn't appear to be any IMAX in 70mm in Houston. Only Dallas and Ft Worth

https://www.imax.com/news/experience-dunkirk-imax-70mm-film-and-imax-laser

I'm going to catch the 70mm (non-IMAX) in the Denver area.

9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Just got home. Probably a 6 or 7 out of 10 for me.

Found it to be quite possibly the best *made* film of all time, like a legit masterpiece in that regard, but still underwhelming as an experience overall. Did not enjoy the non-linear storytelling at all. It got in the way of the story and lessened the impact of some scenes in the end greatly. And the characters were...hardly even characters. I'd be hard pressed to remember anybody's name.

However...movie was still super intense and super well done and for that, I am pleased. See it in IMAX for sure.

gatsby, GRENDEL, dmenacela and 2 others like this.
  10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

So it's no Dances With Wolves.

11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well made, weak characters. Mel Gibson has Christopher beat.

12. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

The only reason I plan on seeing it is the IMAX scenes in batman CN shot being amazing.

13. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Houston has only 1 theater with true IMAX size, and that's the Edwards Marquee I-10; however, that theater switched their film projector to digital a few years ago. So there's currently nothing in Houston that's both true IMAX size and shows 70mm film.

14. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Haha,

I said this to myself last night.

15. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Looking forward to seeing it tomorrow, large format but not a true IMAX. Shame that it sounds like there was a lack of detachment on characters but people used to say the same thing about Kubrick......

16. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Never heard them say that, honestly. Paths of Glory >>> Dunkirk.

17. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Really, always heard that about The Shining and 2001.

Can't argue with you about Path of Glory though, I think Nolan really tries to emulate Kubrick a lot but never quite gets there, still think he's a strong director.

RudyTBag likes this.
  18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I'm going shortly for 70mm.

wrt your comment, by comparison, who in Saving Private Ryan can you remember other than Tom Hanks?

I thought Saving Private Ryan was weak on characters, and didn't feel attached or invested in the plot or the bridge town battle....like they just had to throw in a battle for some action at the end. But still liked it and ppl to this day say it should have won Best Picture over Shakespeare in Love. I really don't see it being Best Picture nomination quality at all (let alone winning the Oscar), other than making huge strides in film-making battle scenes. I still rewatch that frst 45 minutes or so a lot.

I'd be thrilled if Dunkirk is as good as Saving Private Ryan.

19. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

All very fair. I found Saving Private Ryan to be a superior film, but that could very well be nostalgia speaking. Don't get me wrong...Dunkirk is not a bad movie by any stretch. I enjoyed it well enough, and hope you enjoy it even more! Curious what everybody thinks because, like all Nolan films, it'll lead to good discussion and differing opinions.

heypartner likes this.
  20. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Actually, I thought "Saving Private Ryan" went out of its way to at least try to differentiate one character from another. Maybe I've seen it so often over the years so that I can pick many of them out. But when you have a film with the carnage and confusion of battles, and dudes running about in the same colored uniforms in dreary war-torn landscapes, they meld together after awhile.