1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Should the Dems Do to Make a Comeback.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by glynch, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Quit trying to crucify yourself while drawing such divisions, B-Bob.

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

So just to narrate: you answer an honest inquiry, trying to get you to actually have a dialogue instead of the standard hiding behind oblique obtusity, and you reply with... oblique obtusity. I give you points for consistency.

I'm in a good mood, so here you go, I'll demonstrate how it could have worked, though I have to make up your reasoning for being offended at a nothing NPR report.

------ (wavy lines transporting Clutchfans to alternate reality where Cohete tries communication) -------

You: Oh, I thought the NPR piece was just so smug, making fun of "common people" and their cowboy hats, firetrucks, and horseshoes. You could almost hear the liberal NPR announcers rolling their eyes and snickering at these American simpletons, so far beneath them.

Me: Oh, thanks for that answer. I could see someone having that reaction. But isn't it just as likely that NPR is actually having a cutesy reaction to a cutesy event? I mean, it's not like Two Scoops rolled out Teslas or main frame computers or hospital workers -- things that can actually be the future of the economy. Crab pots and cowboy hats actually don't fuel America in any appreciable measure.

You: True that, but he was really trying to communicate to small town America, and I thought NPR sounded super smug.

Me: Okay. Fair enough.

------ (wavy lines transporting us back) -------

You: You may as well put gravy on your differential equations textbook and roll back the sleeves of your angora sweater.

#122 B-Bob, Jul 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
    el gnomo, Deckard, NewRoxFan and 3 others like this.
  3. Cohete Rojo

PBS Newshour took it to new heights during their segment on "Made in America Week" by discussing Russia - absent of manufacturing.

B-Bob, I should report you for name calling - even though the name calling was directed at yourself. However, I too am in a good mood. Enjoy.

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I must be having a spectacular day -- I understood 100% of that post.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  5. wouldabeen23

wouldabeen23 Contributing Member

Post of the year material

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The dems need to understand that people are afraid of their future. Education, healthcare, and housing costs have far outpaced income increases. People feel that, and they are feeling not so well off. Everyone is struggling.

Republicans address this by blaming immigrants, Muslims, the Chinese and freeloading black people. It's an effective strategy that plays much along the lines of other parties in history that use scapegoating to gain power and influence. It's easy because it's human tendency to blame a group.

Democrats address the problem as the rich getting tax breaks as the reason for your pain. But that doesn't resonate with people, and it's kind of not true. Gov't spending can only do so much after all. Sanders made traction by going after globalization - and that did resonate with people. The issue is that globalization isn't the problem.

The problem is that companies just don't have to pay people that much. The IT revolution raised productivity and profits for corporations through the roof. But they didn't share it with their employees. Instead they kept the money which raised their stock prices through the roof.

Most of the wealth is not in the hands of the few - that concentration has left the middle class feeling poor and struggling. But you can't attack the rich.

So what can the Dems do? I think they need to become more business friendly in their approach to bring jobs back to the Rust Belt. I think they should push for a corporate tax rate of 0% for any company that creates 10% more jobs year over year for instance.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

What does that look like? What businesses can prosper in the Rust Belt?

I think a major issue is that the Rich own the Media . .
    They are able to get their story and slant out there incredibly effectively
    This is on all stations

The problem is the greed of America and the lack of understand of the word enough

If you have a business making a Million a year profit . . . I mean paying employees decent etc
    Well .. that is not good enough
    Next year. . .you should shoot for 1.5 Million in profit . . .and it means cutting employee pay and benefits .. . so be it!

Rocket River

conquistador#11 likes this.
  8. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Would you guys vote for Maxine Waters for prez in 2020?

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Serious question ....where are you going with this question? What makes you ask that?

10. dobro1229

American people only understand bumper sticker politics. Learn from the policy wonk Hillary who couldn't give a short message on anything even though I actually enjoyed her getting into the weeds on policy myself when she did.

I'll give the bumper sticker a shot-

-Grow the economy through the middle class.

-Restore the dignity of Democracy

-Give The People a Chance (ode to John Lennon)

What do they have to do to succeed... well first they have to win elections. Keith Ellison has a good track record of turning smaller seats blue so having him on board to help the strategy to win in 2018 could help. Honestly it's all about the candidates though. The Dems just need super likabile people who can speak honestly and have stage appeal.

I want to see a bigger focus on science and technology to inject in a more business/economic focus from a Dem perspective. I also like bringing in people from the tech space, younger candidates, and a bigger focus on education where the fact that we've been getting killed the past ten years will come back to haunt us for generations.

11. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I already provided a list of people I was interested in, and the reason why. But as another poster already asked... Why do you ask about Waters? I realize she has been getting press, mostly in squabbling with Trump and right wing media. But why do you ask?

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sit back and watch the Republicans self-destruct?

THe right wingers are silent. This time period will be in the history books

13. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I only ask because of her planned trip to NH and her growing popularity among millenials.

14. dobro1229

Hmm... I still think it's curious to bring her up, but to answer your question yes... if she's running against Trump in 2020 and wins the nom, I would vote for her instead of Trump. I'd vote for you over Trump TBH. I'd literally vote for "the Astrodome" the building over Trump. At least the building just sits there and doesn't F anything up.

On a serious note though, I don't see Waters as a candidate at this point. The simply outspoken anti trump lawmakers out there right now I wouldn't be putting much weight into. Look at people like Corey Booker who trying to build his platform for legislation as an example. Sanders sure looks like he's running again of course. I don't know anyone that sees Waters building a coalition to run honestly but if she does good for her. She's going to be going against a large group of heavy hitters.

15. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/343047-maxine-waters-is-joking-about-2020-but-not-about-trump

16. cml750

cml750 Member

Please let her run!!!!!

17. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Imagine if Democrats does not exist and Republican get their every wish, what would this country look like? No SSN, No medicare, no medicaid, no EPA, SEC, department of education, etc. no income tax. Sounds like heaven.

18. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Imagine if Democrats got everything they wished for.

TG's can use whatever restroom they want. Force company to pay women equal, regardless of the qualifications. Everyone gets a month off. Nobody works more than 30 hours a week. Everyone gets free healthcare. Everyone gets free education. Everyone gets a basic income of middle class america. Blacks finally get treated equal ... 'LOL' jk ... they never gave a **** about blacks.

Both parties live in fantasy land.

19. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

LOL. Sounds very much like Europe.

20. Cohete Rojo

You are 100% correct: no one out there will hear those segments as attempts to discredit "Made in America". That is especially true for blue-wall state voters. Even then, why would anyone in those states care about "Made in America", as though that some how related to their livelihood?