1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Trade option(s)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ZeroPoint, Apr 14, 2017.

1. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

If we can get Britton for only Martes and one other prospect I think we should also be getting Gray or something.. Not totally into Verlander. I think we need a SP and RP but maybe we are waiting to see if any more elite-ish pitchers become available... Degrom, stroman, etc

2. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Game 1: Keuchel
    Game 2: Morton
    Game 3: McCullers
    Game 4: McHugh
    Game 5: Keuchel
    Game 6: Morton/Peacock
    Game 7: Keuchel/McCullers

Something like that. I would want to give Keuchel Game 1 if possible, but Game 2 could happen.

3. KeuchelForPresident

Zach Britton is pitching as we speak (or type, I should say). He just gave up a double to Chirinos with 2 outs in the 9th. Good news for the Astros, they have had to put O'Day and Brach on the mound today as well, so hopefully the O's pen will be a little soft for us tomorrow.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Is Britton healthy? That is the big question right now.... and the O's taking less for him would be telling.

If he is healthy, he's going to need some time to get his sharpness back. Mechanics and control way off right now.

5. KeuchelForPresident

He's not looking sharp tonight. After the Chirinos double, he gave up a walk, a wild pitch, and a 2-rbi single. He came into the 9th with a four-run lead, now it is down to two. Astros fans would be climbing walls if he did this for us (esp in a game against the Rangers)

6. jim1961

jim1961 Member

OK, ill play:

Game 1: Keuchel
    Game 2: McCullers
    Game 3: Peacock/Morton
    Game 4: Keuchel
    Game 5: McHugh or Fiers?
    Game 6: McCullers
    Game 7: Keuchel

Major likes this.
  7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

No Martes or Feliz? Only 4 for Peacock?

8. KeuchelForPresident

Britton finally got out of the inning on a fly ball to the warning track, but it took him 23 pitches to record 3 outs.

I liken acquiring Britton now to buying a used luxury car (let's say a BMW 6 series). Imagine you're in the market for such a car and you go meet a fellow who has a year-old car of this type up for sale. He's asking $80,000 - enough to buy a few ordinary cars that run well. But you want the best, right? So you're shooting for the high-end BMW. Imagine that the current owner is an honest fellow, and he tells you that a couple months ago the car was in the shop for a few days getting a new fuel pump, and in the last 30 days there has been a clanking sound in the engine and intermittent puffs of black smoke coming out the exhaust... but nonetheless, the car has gotten him to work every day. Rest assured, he says: "It's a BMW and only a year old. These cars have a great track record."

Would you buy that car? I wouldn't, especially if I'm going to need to drive it a lot and if my business will suffer should it break down again.

Even if he lowers the price to $50,000, I'm much more inclined to go with a less flashy name brand like Pontiac, Toyota, Chrysler... if the car has a fairly clean mechanical history and has been running well over the past year. Added bonus: I probably only have to spend $20,000 to $30,000 and can trade it in next year if I want.

9. Nook

Nook Member

I wouldn't give up Martes for this version of Britton. If the Orioles can get a talent like Martes for Britton, they are foolish if they don't jump at it.

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

:)

11. bobrek

He pitches the two innings in their one blowout loss.

12. bobrek

Dave Mlicki once pitched game 2. Anything is possible.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Pete Munro started Game 6 of the NLCS.... in a game that would have sent the Astros to the WS if they had won.

Snake Diggit and Rockets FTW like this.
  14. KeuchelForPresident

for a bit of historical perspective --
    Astros pitching workload in an unsuccessful postseason bid

What lessons can we take from the '86 experience?

1986 NLCS - Astros vs. Mets
    (6 games, including one 12-inning game and one 16-inning game)

Scott - 18.0 IP
    Knepper - 15.1 IP
    Ryan - 14.0 IP
    Andersen - 5.0 IP
    Kerfeld - 4.0 IP
    Lopez - 3.1 IP
    Smith - 2.0 IP
    Calhoun - 1,0 IP

Total of 62.2 IP

Scott was the scheduled starter for Game 7 if we had gotten that far, which would have pushed him close to 25 IP (rather insane some would say).

I'm interested to make some comparisons between the '86 pitching staff and what we have this year in terms of pitching stamina and effectiveness. One rather incredible accomplishment of the '86 staff was to achieve a .910 WHIP and 2.87 ERA in the NLCS. Only problem, the Mets posted a 2.29 ERA against us.

15. KeuchelForPresident

Mets pitching workload in 1986 NLCS

Gooden - 17.0 IP
    Ojeda - 14.0 IP
    Orosco - 8.0 IP
    McDowell - 7.0 IP
    Fernandez - 6.0 IP
    Darling - 5.0 IP
    Aguilera - 5.0 IP
    Sisk - 1.0 IP

total of 63.0 IP

One thing that stands out is how the Mets distributed their workload more evenly. We really tried to get the triumvirate of Scott/Ryan/Knepper to take the lion's share of the job and left only 15.1 IP to other guys. If Devenski, Fiers, Peacock, and another multi-innings reliever like Hand/Igesias/Minor/Swarzak are there to step up for 6 to 8 innings each, that would be huge and it would be more like what the Mets accomplished in '86.

crose likes this.
  16. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Damn you for bringing back memories of that horrible decision.

Marteen likes this.
  17. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

18. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

The real problem was Dave Smith sucked balls against the Mets.

raining threes likes this.
  19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

So Darvish is now on the block. Will Martes, McCurry, and C. Perez get it done? Probably not. But for a rental the price should be lower than Quintana/Gray/etc. even considering Darvish is a better pitcher. I'd be willing to do Martes plus 1-2 2nd tier guys like Teoscar, Musgrove, Armenteros, Cameron, C Perez, etc.

Getting Darvish and a reliever like Wilson or Britton would be about as much as anyone could have hoped for Luhnow to do to improve the team. What a stacked roster that would be.

#1439 Snake Diggit, Jul 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  20. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

I would not trade with the rangers under any condition. Not from any of the top 25 prospects at least. Let them dig themselves out of the prospect hole they are in on somebody else's watch.

chievous minniefield likes this.