1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2017 highest potential busts

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by basketballholic, Jun 5, 2017.

1. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Why y'all taking _holic seriously on his scouting. This the due who said Ricky Rubio is the best of the 09 draftees which included Blake Griffin, Steph Curry and James Harden

LOL

2. Bennie Anders

Bennie Anders Member

Malik Monk big-time bust potential.

3. basketballholic

What I said was Rubio and Curry were the only two guys I was interested in. St that time we had Yao and McGrady. I thought Blake was a one-dimensional dunker and I thought Harden was redundant. I wanted Curry or Rubio to form a big 3 in 2009 with 111.

My comments about Curry

Good try though girl. Now go back to sleep and dream up more thong jokes.

4. malakas

malakas Member

Frank Ntikilinka, Lauri and Dennis Smith Jr.
    Smith Jr also has the best potential to be a superstar.

5. Normalus

Normalus Member

No way Frank Ntilikina would be a bust.

6. omgTHEpotential

I agree. Dude has a really good basketball IQ. These types of guys rarely bust out, even if they don't become stars.

7. Juxtaposed Jolt

Based on where they were actually drafted, who has the potential of becoming a bust? Anigbogu was brought up, but he was picked 47th. Swanigan was brought up, but he was picked 26th.

Is the term "bust" used for lottery picks, or does it extend to the entirety of the first round? Donovan Mitchell seems like he could have bust potential.

8. basketballholic

Agree on Smith. Could go either way.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

What is the best case in Dennis Smith's case?

10. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He is not that soft. He obviously stayed on the perimeter most of the time but Miller was incorporating him more into the block from time to time and he showed a willingness to be more aggressive. He isn't use to the physical game but like I said he seemed willing and it's more of a lack of experience than ability to handle it. I don't recall seeing him back down from other players being physical with him.

I think mental toughness will be a bit learning curve. He lacked that killer instinct at times in games and sometimes kept from pulling the trigger on shot he should have taken. Again, I think this was more of a maturity aspect but I definitely noticed it a few times last year.

I think another year in college would have done wonders for his development but it's hard to argue given his draft position.

11. CallMeTheDream

Jonathan Issac, Malik Monk, Donovan Mitchell, and Dennis Smith Jr. will all be great players in this league.. My favorite 4 from this draft.

12. basketballholic

Sky is the limit. Smith is the highest risk/reward guy in the draft. Spectacular talent. Super quick. Super fast. Uber athletic. All the skills. Highly skilled. Hall of fame potential.

The thing that could absolutely crater his career is between his ears. If he doesn't get that right he'll bust. If he does get that right he'll be sensational.

13. Bennie Anders

Bennie Anders Member

Completely disagree. He has every tangible and intangible besides outside shooting so he will find a solid role.

1st summer game:

#33 Bennie Anders, Jul 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
    CallMeTheDream likes this.
  14. Bennie Anders

Bennie Anders Member

More Mitchell:

So good. I can't believe I entered draft season pray-thinking he would fall to Rox. Tremendous athlete (best in entire draft) and very, very high character/IQ guy. Star in the making. Can't believe garbage Rubio will be around him to possibly mess him up.

15. omgTHEpotential

What... Dude, how would Rubio mess him up? Rubio's a class act and a great professional. Also has great basketball IQ. Except for shooting, there's a lot to learn from him if you're a young prospect like Mitchell.

basketballholic likes this.
  16. Bennie Anders

Bennie Anders Member

Donovan Mitchell is soooo awesome. Best athlete in the draft, great defender, great basketball IQ. STAR in the making.

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

Thong Maker. I thought he was supposed to be better than Capela can't even play against scrubs in Summer League.

Bennie Anders likes this.
  18. dmoneybangbang

I think pretty high considering where he was drafted. Seems like he's more of a project, but he no doubt has a potentially elite level of shooting.

19. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

HAHAHHAHAH

I don't even watch NCAA that much but the boy killed summer league. I told you that yer talent evaluations sucks. Go Caleb! I saw him a couple of times since I watch Purdue basketball. That was enough LOL

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

depending on what expectations are......