1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2017 highest potential busts

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by basketballholic, Jun 5, 2017.

1. basketballholic

Ok guys. Let's see what you got. Who and why.

Here's one for you.

Og Anunoby - should change his name to Og Awillneverbe. This prospect can neither dribble nor shoot. And in the NBA that's a problem combination. Because if a guy can neither shoot nor dribble he's unplayable unless he's a dominant defensive 5.

I keep reading these reports that he will be a small ball 5 like Draymond. That's a joke. Draymond can handle and pass. Og's handle is so bad that all a defender has to do is smoother him on the catch and basically dare him to dribble out of it without turning it over.

He's the next version of MKG. It will take him multiple seasons to not be an offensive liability....If he makes it that far. I wouldn't even consider drafting him unless I had a mid to low second and I could convince him to go to Europe for a season or two before signing him to an NBA contract. That would basically be buying a couple extra years of development and might give a team a chance to make him into a solid contributing player by the end of his first four seasons in the NBA.

He does have defensive tools, NBA level defensive tools. But he's got the key offensive double deficit (shooting and handle) that make him unplayable unless he's a dominant defensive 5.

#1 basketballholic, Jun 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'm also at a loss for words on Anunoby.

Also not sure what to make of Frank Ntilikina, Jarret Allen, Zach Collins and to an extent Lauri Markkenan. Lauri has a clear skill as a potential 3 point shooter than can play with some size... it's just been so so long since any of those types of prospects have been that impactful. By which, indeed, I mean somewhat stiff big white guys who can shoot ok but aren't stellar rebounders, defenders or the most athletic.

Conversely, I'm intrigued by Jonathan Isaac - seems like he would comp fairly well to a Brandon Ingram type. Ingram was the better scorer and 3 point shooter at Duke, but not enough so that it immediately transferred to the NBA, and Isaac is slightly taller, bulkier, more hustle, cutter, rebounder, defender type.

The biggest bust potential at the top of the draft has to be Ball... just because of all the hype, and the fact that as a scorer, he has a glitch that we don't know for sure if he can get past - his shot mechanics - at the next level. I see him as a bust generally... but its hard to see how he lives up to the papa hype train.

3. basketballholic

I'm concerned about the dad factor. Lakers very clearly don't like that aspect of him. But I'm very confident in his skills. Including his shooting. It's a little ugly but it goes down from long distances and his release is very, very quick. Really like his skills.

If Lakers pass on him he's in trouble. That likely means he didn't pass muster with either Magic or Kobe.

Sanity2disChaos likes this.
  4. JayZ750

It's a good shot with a quick release but horrid mechanics. Not in a weird glitch kind of way. In that he brings the ball from his left hip in a way hat might make it. Wet blockable at the next level.

But it goes in which is more than can be said of a Ricky Rubio type shooter.

I see him as a Mike Conley type of potential player. Solid across the board. If he can be a spectacular Kidd esque passer that ups the game.

5. Space City

Space City Member

Ike Anigbogu. It seems every profile I read on him starts with something like "Although he was injured for much of the season," or "Although he didn't play much," or "Although he hasn't proven anything yet," and still he's being listed just outside the lottery in many mock drafts.
    I'm not sure he could count as a bust in that area of the draft, especially since there are still some projecting him going as low as early second round, but the fact that he's listed in any mock in the range of 15-17 baffles me.

Normalus likes this.
  6. Normalus

Normalus Member

Agreed on this one. He is undersized 5 (damn, he is only 6'9'') & have nothing to offer offensively. Kid have been tested in a draft combine & was one of the slowest in every category. His vertical leaps (both, standing & max) were also not impressive. He can't defend quick PF's, nor he has a chance against SF's in the NBA. So, why the hell he is a first rounder? I don't get it either.

Wingspan & age must be the key. But you can't fall in love with another Hasheem Thabeet.

7. basketballholic

Ike could slip big time on draft night.

The height is deceiving because his wingspan is 7'6" and his standing reach is 9' 2 1/2". All the same no skill sucks out as great defensively or offensively.

8. basketballholic

In honor of my good friend, @FTW Rockets FTW I'm going to add Caleb Swanigan to the bust list twice. Because he is a big fat tub of goo that has a bust and is gonna bust.

FTW Rockets FTW likes this.
  9. Normalus

Normalus Member

Not that he could. He should.

basketballholic likes this.
  10. basketballholic

Agreed.

11. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

12. basketballholic

Not at all. He's gonna bust even worse being a first rounder.

13. basketballholic

And he did.

14. omgTHEpotential

Thoughts on Lauri Markannen's bust potential?

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  15. basketballholic

Don't think he'll bust. Unless unforeseen injury. If healthy, should be a decent good NBA player with potential to break upwards to star/superstar level.

16. omgTHEpotential

Maybe he'll become what Bargnani was supposed to be :)

17. basketballholic

Haven't studied his handle or defense enough. I know he's a worker though with a good head. And his stroke is beautiful.

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

He's very soft. Reminds me of Matt Bullard.

19. omgTHEpotential

Could you elaborate a little bit on what you mean by 'soft'? Does he shy away from contact? Or is he simply in love with his jumpshot? Or maybe something else? Not enough competitive drive?

20. JayZ750

I think he means he is a big that doesn't/can't play inside, or rebound.

Matt Bullard currently looks like a great comp.

I don't see him busting, because he can shoot it so well and in today's NBA that's so important. But I think he might "bust" relative to being the 7th pick in the draft, when Ntilinka, Smith and Monk all went later. I feel like at least one of those will be a meaningfully better player than Markkanen

omgTHEpotential likes this.