1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Better Call Saul Season 3

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 13, 2017.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He is a advertising sales man now. I think.

[​IMG]

I guess they won't fast forward his 12 months sabbatical.

The best ideas are born during that time.

#341 daywalker02, May 23, 2017
    Last edited: May 23, 2017
    Yung-T likes this.
  2. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Kim snapping at the mesa verde lately, as well as Jimmy's spat with the insurance lady at the end..really shows their unraveling. His continued failure at sales showed the anatomy of a mental breakdown. To me it's all setting up jimmy's eventual fall into shady defense work and a breakup with Kim

But yeah, agreed that it wasn't a super fast episode. I kind of think it was one of the best though...Mike accepting Nacho as a "son" was moving also

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Last scene was fantastic.

Most of the last two episodes have been fairly meh, though.

The one positive is you are slowly clearly seeing Jimmy's "deterioration" [is that the right word?] into Saul.... but man, do they like to drag out these scenes.

Example: selling the commercial the the recliner man. Will that scene serve any purpose other than to reiterate that Jimmy is low on cash, trying to sell commercials, and having a tough time, which the following scene with what looked like the Sklar brothers also did, except from previews it looks like they are at least in the next episode.

I get the pushback from those that just really appreciate this kind of well done, very slow burn drama. I appreciate it, no doubt, but even very slow burn is an understatement.

4. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

I wonder what Mike wants from Nacho

5. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

The issue is envy, plain and simple.

Obviously no matter what Jimmy did or accomplished there was no swaying how he felt as his mom passed away and called out for "good ole slippin Jimmy" rather than the "angel child that was Chuck". I'm sure this has a lot to do with his mental state and anxiety issues. Life traumatizing events can often sway a persons mental aptitude if they allow it, mentally.

They are both wrong in what they do and have done to each other and the people around them. But neither is going to want to see it after this last "episode" (literally/figuratively) because they know it's over between them, what's done is done.

6. SuraGotMadHops

I watched the Twin Peaks premiere, and David Lynch unfolded 25 years of background in two hours. Meanwhile it has taken Vince 3 years to just scratch the surface with Saul. BCS has been slow throughout but it hasn't started bothering me until now, maybe it's because I watched BCS right after the Twin Peaks premiere and the slow pace was more annoying to me than usual.

7. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

I think he cares about him and doesn't want see him harmed. He doesn't want him to meet the same fate as his son (hence why he called nacho after the talk with the lady at the meeting).

He knows that nacho is up to something devious. Thus, when he meets up with him at the exchange he tries to talk him out of the assassination. After realizing that nacho must go through with it, Mike has no choice but to advise him of the safest course of action (switch back the pills)

8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have started re-watching Breaking Bad (second time through it). One of the things that I noticed particularly in Season Two is that there are quite a few episodes that might be susceptible to this kind of "moves too slowly" criticism but that are absolutely crucial for character development. One of the things that made Breaking Bad great was its willingness to allow the story to unfold at a natural pace--and I think Better Call Saul is doing the same thing.

For example, last night I rewatched the episode "Fly" from BB Season Three. Same kind of deal, the thing unfolds at a glacial pace, but the reveal at the end (when Walt identifies a specific moment where if he had died right then, he would have died happy--pre-airliner crash). And that scene achieves a special kind of poignancy only upon rewatching the series, knowing fully what happens in all five seasons and what happens at the end.

I think Better Call Saul is going to unfold that way. Some of the apparent "slowness" of the episodes right now will only make sense much later when the whole series is done. anyway that's my guess.

for what it's worth, I really recommend rewatching BB while watching Better Call Saul in real time. They are both terrific.

9. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

I meant when Mike pulls out a notepad and says "I need something from you first"

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Wasn't Jimmy intentionally playing "sad" with the insurance lady? I thought it was all a ruse to get Chuck's insurance revoked.

FLASH21, Richie_Rich and GRENDEL like this.
  11. gah

gah Member

It was clearly that. Makes me think he might want to sue his brother and then settle at a hefty price because Chuck will be uninsured.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Perhaps.

TBH, the insurance company does have full grounds to terminate their coverage for somebody who obviously has a mental illness and is unfit to practice law.... regardless of how Jimmy underhandedly brought this to their attention.

Charles preaches about being an "officer of the court", and the prestige and honor it entails... yet he raises the question about how he can make fully sounds/competent decisions when he has no idea that he truly has a mental illness vs. a medical "condition".

It seems like the writers are going to proceed with this "rift" as a potential downfall for the Jimmy-Kim relationship... which is a little weak. Chuck had to be exposed for what he truly is... and Jimmy did a masterful job of that.

13. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

According to New Mexico state law, if Chuck is not able to carry malpractice insurance, he has to tell his clients right at the onset of the case. So, just like Jimmy had to call all his clients to tell them that he was no longer practicing law, Chuck would have to tell his clients he cannot carry malprac. Remember, he couldn't bring himself to tell his own wife of his condition. Having to tell clients this could push him over the edge.

And that won't sit well with Hamlin.

MoonBus and Richie_Rich like this.
  14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Well, he'd likely no longer be a partner... which would also not sit well with the firm or its clients, as it will come out that Hamlin kept Charles' mental illness under wraps for the entirety of his absence.

15. omgTHEpotential

What a great show this is. I can't believe people are complaining about it being too slow.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Slow and good

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the shark likes this.
  17. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

in the beginning...how did mike know where the body was buried? when he gets out of his car he looks at a note, but we dont see what it says.

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Nacho told him.

That was the note from the notepad he pulled out when he said to Nacho at the end of last episode "Now I need something from you."

Scroll up and reread some of the questions/answers from last episode.... @Commodore is talking about it. That scene of the notepad and talking to Nacho is in the "Previously on BCS" in the opening, as well.

Yung-T and jo mama like this.
  19. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

At first I thought the pill exchange was poorly executed. Then I realized he had to count the pills.

I'd make a terrible criminal.

20. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Slippin' Jimmy.

VooDooPope likes this.