1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

2017 Fantasy Baseball Advice Thread

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by awc713, Feb 5, 2017.

1. awc713

awc713 Member

Pitchers and catchers report in a (8) days. Fantasy drafts will start gearing up soon. I'm not sure if competitive fantasy baseball is popular amongst CFers, but I figured it could make for a good hub for advice. I, for one, think that fantasy baseball is the hardest fantasy sport, and the one that requires the most skill.

That said, here's my issue: I can keep (3) players, but have a ton of good options.
    • 12 teams (and 22 total rounds)
    • R, H, HR, RBI, AVG, OPS, K
    • SV, ERA, K, QS, WHIP, WIN%, TB
    I can keep the following players for 2017 and 2018 seasons:
    • Urias: round 20
    • Moncada: round 21
    • D. Murphy: round 11
    • Jake Lamb: round 15
    • Yelich: round 7
    • K. Seager: round 5
    • Taillon: round 19
    • Glasnow: round 20
    • Chapman: round 10
    • Edwin Diaz: round 18
    I can keep the following players for the 2017 season only:
    • Lindor: round 14
    Right now, I'm leaning towards keeping Lindor, Murphy, and Yelich.

I love Lamb's value, but I've seen some stats suggesting that 2016 was luck. I also love Chapman and Diaz' value, but have a hard time rationalizing keeping closers. Seager in round 5 doesn't seem to be a huge value, though I think he should be considered. I really like Taillon, but PIT scares me with how they manage young arms.

I've contemplated keeping both or either Urias and Moncada.I may be keeping them too early in their careers, especially since I only get them through 2018. But if I can nab either in the last couple rounds and hold them (we have 1 N/A slot for minors), I think I have to consider that. They may very well struggle early on, but do I keep them over more win-now players like Yelich?

I think I have to use my last year of eligibility with Lindor. Maybe he's peaked, but I like what he brings at SS, and the other elite SS-eligible players are kept. I've always liked Yelich. I think he'll go in the 3rd if I don't keep him. Murphy may be my only no-brainer keeper, but I'd love to hear any thoughts on my situation, or just to get the ball rolling. Go 'Stros!

2. awc713

awc713 Member

I'm keeping Lindor, D. Murphy, Yelich in rounds 14, 11, and 7.

Miggy, Blackmon, and Votto are the best hitters available at my 1st pick. Scherzer and MadBum are the best pitchers available.

Springer, Cruz, Freeman, or maybe Braun are the best hitters available at my 2nd pick. Best pitcher is Kluber or best case, Sale.

Who would you draft? I'm leaning Miggy + Braun if the latter is available, but Cruz slightly over Springer if Braun is taken. Thoughts?
    • R, H, HR, RBI, AVG, OPS, K
    • SV, ERA, K, QS, WHIP, WIN%, TB

3. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

Miggy/ Cruz (or Braun if available) sounds good to me. I also like a Blackmon / Freeman combo as a decently close second

Wouldn't take votto over either miggy or blackmon as your first pick though. Also depending on the depth of pitchers remaining after your keepers could sway my decision.

awc713 likes this.
  4. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

I would go for a Miggy/Kluber or Sale duo. If you pass up on pitching with that pick, who would be the realistic anchor of your rotation? If the drop off is huge, I'd go pitching with that pick. If you know the league a little, and think there would be strong SPs later on, then I'd go Miggy/Cruz.

awc713 likes this.
  5. awc713

awc713 Member

If I don't draft SPs in the first two rounds, then best case is that one of Strasburg/Verlander drops. If they don't, then DeGrom/Tanaka/CMartinez/Teheran are likely best SP by R3. Part of me wants to stack up on pitching in the middle rounds, so maybe grab another bat in the R3, take Martinez/Cole in the R4, and just binge on P for a while. I draft 8th/12, so the 3-4 turn is only 8 picks. I love the SP depth this year, so part of me doesn't want to panic or reach just because. Maybe I stack up on the Duffys of the league and get an elite bullpen arm early.

That said, I've won $ past two seasons with elite pitching. People tend to overvalue hitting and undervalue pitching, so I've found a niche there. I just don't know if Kluber over the hitters above, or the SPs in R3 over the hitters in R3 are good moves.

I'll draft Sale in R2 if available. Ultimately, I just don't know if Kluber is vastly better than the other SPs to the extent that warrants passing on Cruz, Springer, or CarGo (or Braun if I'm lucky). I don't want to reach for a SP just because I know the run is coming, but we'll have to play it by ear I suppose.

#5 awc713, Mar 23, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    RedNation likes this.
  6. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

That sounds like a solid game plan. Your last sentence is very true. You basically have to let the draft dictate your strategy. And I agree with you, since most folks undervalue pitching, you can really gain a competitive advantage if you hit on your aces. But then if Kluber has another "good but not great" season like a few years ago, that wouldn't be worth a high pick that you could've nabbed Cruz, Springer, or Braun, just like you mentioned. I also like all of those 2nd tier pitchers you listed, and if you could get Miggy/Cruz or Springer (remember, he'll also be CF eligible early on this year, which might make him more valuable to you), and then get Strasburg with that next pick, you'd be off to a tremendous start.

awc713 likes this.