1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Rockets looking at Wilson Chandler

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Feb 16, 2017.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Why would anyone think GH is selecting the Rox, assuming the $$$ were available? Stevens in C'land? PG13 in home state? Utes with his comfort zone? Perhaps any # more might be more appealing to Hay!ward.

2. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Wilson Chandler will be the 3rd best or maybe even the 2nd best player on this roster when Gordon isn't hitting.

His salary is manageable, and most of all he brings it every single night.

You guys need to get it together on this forum man. Seriously tho.

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

@baller4life315 My guess is the thinking with WChandler is his production relative to the market is solid. So he could be moved if needed. And if he works out he can be another solid role player addition. The fact that WC is versatile enough to guard multiple positions is very valuable. This is a team that gang rebounds and defends and he would fit right in, in that regard. He also has a history with MDA when they were in NY.

Rockets are at their best when they can play small ball and fast and WC can plug in and compliment that well.

Sure, I would love to be able to improve the C position, but perhaps Morey and crew feel that WC would collectively bring more to the table on both ends of the court for this MDA lead team. And at the same time maintain a "high" asset appeal to maintain flexibility should something even better make itself available.

baller4life315 and bilaal14 like this.
  4. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Also Chandler would hopefully start with Ariza coming off the bench.

Mr Chuck Norris likes this.
  5. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Okay ABS

DonKnock, ramotadab, BigMaloe and 2 others like this.
  6. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Let me guess. Dekker and capela have all star potential??? Lol

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I don't get it either. Why would he leave money on the table to leave a good Jazz team where he is a beloved star to join the Rockets in the West when that doesn't make us better than GSW? If by some stretch he was going to leave I think he'd pick somewhere else, like Boston.

8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

The only issue is his injury history. 2 hip surgeries and pushing 30 is a bit scary. He is solid, but he wouldn't start over Ariza. Don't overstate his game too much.

ramotadab and varughese.arun like this.
  9. YOLO

YOLO Member

It's just an actual FA name who would fit on this team. he happens to be a young star entering the prime years of his career. probably more of wishful thinking but like many of us said at the end of the day it's probably not realistic that he would leave.

10. mightybosstone

If this era of basketball has taught us anything, it's that if you can convince a player to come play for your team, you'll find a way to get that the money he's asking for. Houston has done it before to get Dwight. And the Warriors proved it again last summer with Durant. According to Spotrac, the Rockets have about $92 million in active contracts next season. And the cap is expected to be $108 million. They would essentially just have to find takers for Brewer and Ariza's contracts to put them right at about that max figure.

11. mightybosstone

Well, Indiana isn't very good, and George's time there may be short-lived. And Houston is a better basketball team right now than Utah and Boston. I'm not saying that I think Hayward would necessarily pick the Rockets over those teams. But I think—if Houston can end the season strong—the Rockets could make as strong a case as anybody to get the guy. Morey has been willing to take chances in the past for particular players. I could see him doing it again.

12. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Here homer. Objective stats.

Less min played... still better stats lol.

http://stats.nba.com/vs/#!?PlayerID=201163&VsPlayerID=2772

13. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

The more I look at Chandler, the less impressed I am with him. I feel like his game aesthetically looks better than it is and maybe that's making an impression on some people.

He scores at a sort of average rate. Defense about average. That's definitely better than Brewer, but it sounds like it's going to cost significantly more than Brewer so I don't know if it's worth it.

I think we need defense without losing offense. That's what's screaming at us in the face as the obvious problem. We are a top 2 offense and like the 19th defense. Being a top 10 defense and top 10 offense is an important milestone. We're probably not going to go from #2 offense to #1, nor do I think it would even matter that much if we did.

I think the only acquisitions we should consider are those that improve us defensively without losing any/much offense from the rotation players. Anything else imo is an unnecessary risk and in this case also an unnecessary salary burden in the summer. I'm happy to have Tyson Chandler on the books because he is a massive improvement off the bench, and Capela is the long term starter who's not due to get paid for another year and a half. That combo is rock solid, can be carried over for 2 years. But Ariza/Wilson doesn't really interest me.

Anyway, it all depends on what it costs. If it costs nothing but Brewer and our #27 pick, then sure. Doesn't affect our salary, and we will have to pay to dump Brewer anyway. Any more than that and I'm officially settling on thanks but no thanks.

ramotadab, BigMaloe and larsv8 like this.
  14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

If the Rockets trade for WChandler, he is not going to supplant Ariza as the starting SF. Rockets aren't going to mess with that chemistry. WC would just come off the bench like Eric Gordon and get "starters minutes." WC would lessen Ariza's overall minutes and get some backup PF minutes. Probably dig into Dekker's minutes some.

Voice of Aus, heypartner and Vivi like this.
  15. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

I would trade Ariza for him

bilaal14 likes this.
  16. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

@Deuce

I have nothing against Wilson Chandler, personally, and would welcome him here if that's the direction we choose. Just saying, I'm trying to think big picture here. While you're absolutely right that's he's a great value relative to his contract and hypothetically could be moved quickly if needed. You just have to be delicate with those sort of things. You wouldn't want word getting out that you only view him as rental (of sorts) until you can throw the kitchen sink at Gordon Hayward in the summer (and thus needing to dump his contract). Plus, there's always the possibility we can make an unfavorable deal only to get left at the altar again like we did by dumping Lin for the chance to sign Bosh.

But I get it: he can play and would help. I just happen to favor avoiding long-term salary commitments and finding cheaper options, if available.

ramotadab and Deuce like this.
  17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

That's where I stand.

The perception you get from reading this board doesn't seem to match the actual player.

I'd be all over trading for Gary Harris if they want to move him. Wilson Chandler? I'm with you. I like him better than Brewer and don't object to trading for him depending on the cost, but he's not a needle mover for me.

BigMaloe and Mathloom like this.
  18. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Any unlikely scenario where we are to acquire Griffin Ryan would have to be moved to acquire him.

19. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Shirley, tis possible. I have never heard a single word suggesting a link between GH and any Rock, coach or the town. GH and BS are supposed to be thisclose since Hayward was recruited by Stevens. Indiana is home. BTW - - Rox better than C's? Mebbe, but not likely by much and the C's have a closet full of top drawer assets as yet untouched.

But, if there were a mutual interest then boffo and a half - - I have faith in DM the GM's ability to seal the deal if there were a deal to be sealed.

20. rocketseagles07

Role is very important when you're looking at a player. He won't be asked to do too much here and his job will be way easier playing next to James. No he's not gonna help us beat gsw, and neither will anyone else that we can realistically get