1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Free Agency......Who to drop and who to go after

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by deb4rockets, Feb 19, 2017.

1. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Who would you keep out of Wilfork, Bouye, Demps, Simon, Dent, Lechler, Novak, Griffin, Grimes, Smith, and Aboushi? What free agents would you go after? There are a lot of really good free agents available this year, but our salary cap will be limited, especially trying to keep some of our guys who will have huge salary increases. Also, do we free up some money to lock in Hopkins for the long term?

Please don't get into a Romo back and forth discussion on here. There are enough QB threads.

2. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Grimes, Simon, Bouye, Lech...

Move Jackson to safety, takes care of demps.
    Fairbairn to kicker instead of Novak
    Reader and Covington split Wilfork duties. Honestly that Dline is the only thing I'm NOT worried about at all.
    We have our blocking TE, CJ, and our pass catching Anderson.. Griffin is just a luxury we don't need.
    Aboushi just didnt perform, but we have no oline depth.

The only maybe I have on bringing back is Bouye. I feel like Hoodie and the pats targeted him a lot on purpose, they knew it was a 50/50 shot at a PI call. I mean yea only 50% of passes his way were completed, but half of those incomplete passes were also PI's. We could franchise him, or I would like a back-loaded contract. I want Dhop more than all of them.

3. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

Wilfork gonna retire ?

4. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Allow Cushing and J-Jo to become free agents. They are done

5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

So no Julio Jones? Anybody?

6. Nimo

Nimo Member

It's almost impossible to discuss this without knowing how much money they will ask/demand. Also, what other free agents are available. Like I would love to keep Demps but not for $10 mil a year and not if Eric Berry is willing to come to Houston at a price the team can afford. I'm in the minority but I would keep Cushing and Joseph for one more year. Johnson/Joseph/Bouye make a formidable trio.

I like Grimes but only if he's the #3 back and Blue is replaced.

Aboushi will probably be cheap. Not a bad rotational player, especially if Bergstrom is cut.

You can bring Novak to camp again and hope Kai beats him out.

That 3rd OLB is key, especially if you want to move Clowney around. Simon was capable but not irreplaceable

7. Bennie Anders

Bennie Anders Member

Could Brandon Albert make the team? JAX getting him for a mutual salary dump. Maybe Cushing for Albert?

#7 Bennie Anders, Feb 20, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  8. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Julio is a quiet superstar. Puts up madden numbers and I've never heard him complain about his contract.