1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A well-regulated Melisha

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Let's be honest. I am sure it WAS scary to them. They lived in their gated sanctuary that was cut off from the reality of St. Louis. They were in their large safe mansion...... and suddenly there were deep drum beats, lots of black men from the other side of the wall...... they immediately freaked out and realized they WERE vulnerable. They could lose their home, they could lose their life! ............ However what is lost in all of this is that THEY should feel a little scared having a palace so close to poverty and the income disparity IS a problem that has consequences...... so next time they come home and settle into their their home....... there needs to be a little concern that someone could be coming for what they have.

jiggyfly, Invisible Fan and RayRay10 like this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

Missouri can be quite pretty. Unfortunately it is inhabited by some terrible people. It is worse than Ohio or Kentucky and that is really damning.

RayRay10 likes this.
  3. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

In this case I was referring to deep blue St. Louis

4. Nook

Nook Member

The income disparity in the USA is terrible and has progressively been getting worse for nearly 50 years. There is a tipping point, especially in the age of instant communication and news.

The statistics are clear. Income inequality is the highest it has been in 100 years in the USA. Income inequality is the highest in the G-7 nations as well (by far).

Right now the top 10% of the USA controls 82% of the wealth.... the top 1% controls 40% of the entire wealth.... the wealth gap has DOUBLED since 1990.

Adjust it for African Americans and the numbers are even more striking.

Consider that 40% of children in St. Louis are living in poverty.... over 25% of all black people in St. Louis are below the poverty level.

St. Louis is one of the 5 most segregated cities in the USA.

This is ALL a recipe for disaster.

There is a reason those homeowners reacted the way they did...... they had to drive by the crumbling slums before entering their enchanted gated white community.... they aren't stupid...... they knew what was close by... they just really wanted to forget.

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I don't dispute any of that. A couple making 50k a year with 3 kids are living fine. Doesn't matter what super rich have

6. Nook

Nook Member

It depends on what you mean.

If you are saying that those that can live a decent life will have far less contempt for the rich.... I completely agree.

If you are saying the super rich are irrelevant........ I disagree greatly BECAUSE there are not enough people that can live a strong content life and that is reflected in the quickly growing income inequality in the USA.

For years we attempted to keep the issue at bay by segregating the slums and imprisoning the poor...... but people have caught onto that.

noppeper, Rashmon and RayRay10 like this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

Ahh... well the actual neighborhood where this happened has voted republican for years....

You can pick and choose what measures you want, but most of the actual laws concerning income distribution come from the state and federal level.

If you position is that the Democrats are responsible for the income and wealth disparity in the USA, that is an opinion we can debate. However the fact that St. Louis is a Democratic town because 45% of the population is black and votes for Democrats has little to do with the actual policy concerning funding.

RayRay10 likes this.
  8. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

and if you want more protestors in the street, vote for Trump.

Your logic works both ways.

DVauthrin and Andre0087 like this.
  9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Protip: Head to the roof not the front yard to fend off Antifa and/or zombies.

@ROXRAN

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Good, and how do you think the 1% will fare against the 99%?

DD

11. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Unions, universal healthcare, and free community college or trade school are some ways to start to balance the scales in the working man's favor again. Oh yea, instead of b****ing on reddit/facebook/twitter go and vote...my old man told me that long ago. If you want to protest that's great but do it by the playbook MLK laid out in the 60s...it actually turned a cause into policy...peaceful consistent nonviolent protests are the answer.

12. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The the city of St Louis is completely locked in. The actual city isnt growing basically at all. To the east is a state line. At some point there was massive white flight and the west and south is surrounded by little enclaves, many hetrogenously white. The north half of the city is poor black. The south half is lower class white.

It isnt like Texas where the City of Houston can force incorporation of satellite towns. The Missouri legislature made sure St Louis isnt going to do that.

Imagine the City of Houston was completely locked in to only inside 610 and all the satellite areas were their own little towns with their own agendas and tax bases and police forces that wanted nothing to do with the teeming masses inside the city limits.

13. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Still relevant 54 years later...

RayRay10 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  14. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

No worries, they have fox & friends on their side...

15. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

This is funny, and why these people have guns to begin with. Fences are a visual deterrent. Any able-bodied (and I mean not fat) person can hop a six-foot fence.

16. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

I live in Seattle and many of friends who have businesses and homes there were literally taken hostage by these losers. My friends had to board up their homes and businesses and live in constant fear especially nighttime. I have a friend and his family currently living with me now, I’m gonna try to help him salvage whatever left of his business. He’s done with Seattle and will move as soon as we can take some assessments of his business, and deal with the insurance and the lawsuits. It’s real easy for you to sit where you are and post crap all day long, come over to my neck of the woods and see CHAZ for yourself.

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

He did take on a police brutality case. But since he's a card carrying Republican and claims "All Lives Matter too", I'm thinking he smells blood for a big city settlement. Ambulance Chasers Matter Too

Gotta love the verbal gymnastics of lawyer. The more 10s they score from their twisting, the better the upgrades on the house.

18. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

I would give any of you posters here who are doing a circle jerk around this couple a thousand bucks, to walk around some neighborhoods in East St Louis.

19. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

High ground is always best

Nook likes this.
  20. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know where specifically they entered, but these are the types of ornate "for show" gates protecting their gated community nearest to their street. Six feet is generous. Four and a half is more realistic.

Screenshot_20200630-131551_Maps.jpg

Screenshot_20200630-132350_Maps.jpg

This is the "approved entrance" where they would drive their cars to get to their home. Nothing more than a "no trespassing" sign.

Screenshot_20200630-133100_Maps.jpg

Their gates exist basically to allow them to call the police on any stray poor people that have the temerity to bring their gross poorness into a suitably affluent area. It's a legal fiction, more than an actual barrier.

#160 Ottomaton, Jun 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2020