1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

A well-regulated Melisha

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 28, 2020.

1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I like that “keep moving ... let’s goo!!” Little chant going on

IMO the biggest key to these protests will be how funny , musical , and poignant their chants will be .

I like the drums . Like the rythym

RayRay10 and Nook like this.
  2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I don't live in an estate nor in a gated community, so I can't relate to that... I guess I am not so "priveleged". Seems I heard the gate was open? And were these people "chilling" on karen and clydes porch? Seems from the pictures they were just walking by.

RayRay10 likes this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

Ehh so it appears that the gate wasn't just to that single home but to a neighborhood in St. Louis. It is the long time wealthiest area in St. Louis. IT is full of upscale shops, multi million dollar homes and gates. It is surrounded by poverty.

The homeowners bought the home almost 35 years ago and restored it. They come from money. They have spent millions restoring it to it's former condition. It is an absolutely stunning home on the inside.

It really is an interesting story because it highlights the issues in the USA right now...... with race, income disparity...... guns...... property rights.

People that see this all as 100% black and white are off base... but if these issues are not addressed properly everyone will lose.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

My sister remarked they look like aristocrats in the French Revolution. The house decor even fits (that house, imo, is garish and atrocious as hell. Beautifully done, sure, but it belongs in England somewhere, not St Louis. No consideration of the context of their architecture, no homegrown sense of style. No soul at all. Just plop down some Belle Epoque bs from another continent in the heartland. But they're entitled to like what they like).

Briefly:

1. No shots fired, so there's no problem. Homeowners seemed to understand they shouldn't shoot so long as the protesters stayed on the other side of the hedge. You could say they were "brandishing" but I don't think you could get a credible indictment given that they did have some reasonable fear.

2. The private property argument is a bit weak rhetorically. It looks like protesters entered a gated community, so it's 'private property' in that sense. But, they were on the road, which is common area and not the private property of individual families in the community. So let's not get too uptight about a mob trespassing on private property. For normies, this is like a crowd of outsiders walking down the hallway in your apartment complex. Sure, they're trespassing, but they aren't threatening a resident until they try to open the door to his apartment. A resident wouldn't be justified in shooting a trespasser in the hallway if he wasn't trying to enter any apartment. But if he wants to stand on the inside of his door with a gun just in case, fine.

3. If you're a rich white family who has built a large, luxurious Old World mansion in a St Louis gated community that would attract the attention of BLM protesters and you feel like you need to go wave an AR15 (is that what that is?) at scary but peaceful mobs because they've breached the outer perimeter you've relied on to insulate yourself from normal American life -- you should maybe re-examine your priorities in life. I mean, they can do what they like, but if I saw myself in that video I'd probably give away all my worldly possessions and join a monastery.

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

@ROXRAN

RayRay10 and Nook like this.
  6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

This isn't about people defending their property. It's about looking like goobers while doing it. It's not easy to look like a dweeb when you're holding an AR, it's hard to do, cuz that's a cool gun.

7. Nook

Nook Member

The home is well over 100 years old and was designed that area. It is in an area of St. Louis with similar designed homes and landmarks. It was a very Italian city at one point. The inside is almost all original.

I am not saying you are wrong to hold your opinion, only that there is a little more to it.

Overall cooler heads prevailed (this time). Still I don't think it is a good idea to have people outside screaming holding up fire arms like some sort of third world country.

Yes. It was a gate that wasn't locked and it also was to a common road for a number of homes. That area of St. Louis has long been the playground of the elite. The area around the neighborhood and main street is very poor and black. Essentially that area has attempted to exclude it self from those around it. There are a number of very nice upscale bars, etc.

Supposedly his wife did not want him to go outside. My reading at first was that they had their individual home/estate gated off and the protesters broke through the gate and were freely wandering on his property. That is not what happened at all. I can understand him and his wife being apprehensive and even having firearms with them inside the home and on alert..... but these protesters were simply going down a road on the way to the Mayor's home as stated.

The wealth inequality in this country is really making me uneasy. If you want to look at it from the perspective of the home owner. How wonderful is your home if you are surrounded by crime and poverty right outside the neighborhood gate and feel compelled to go on your front porch with guns to keep protesters away. It is a quality of life issue for everyone. It reminds me in some ways of South Africa.

8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I think a pink polo, tucked in, is key tho. Taking notes.

9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I keep seeing posts like this, from pandemic response to race riots, to corrupt governance... where do we think we live?

We are not part of the developing world b/c our slope is downhill, but we need to admit it, in ranking after ranking after ranking, whether it's freedom, responsiveness of government, % of population in jail, health outcomes, health costs, and so on... we are an un-developing nation, or choose your appropriate term.

10. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

LOL, that literally happened. George Floyd actually did that.

11. Nook

Nook Member

That is a good point but it is not acceptable for me.

What bothers me is how many people (especially conservatives) seem to think that it IS okay.

This is the type of thing that happened in Venezuela or South Africa.

Deckard, RayRay10 and B-Bob like this.
  12. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

This is such a BS answer "eat the rich" loser statement. You want Trump re-elected? Have a bunch of protesters start marching through residential, suburban streets, breaking into gated communities.

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

In our history, our country has struggled to create its own architectural style and rich people especially have just been borrowing from Europe (ancient and contemporary) from our founding until, I would say, the interwar period. I don't have a lot of respect (I guess it is obvious by now) for American millionaires pretending to be European aristocrats either now or a hundred years ago. So, I hear you, it's not a McMansion, it's a historic home, the AC is probably lousy, but I just don't like the fashion because it's not native.

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

on one hand, the protesters were trespassing. On the other hand, were any of the homes, including the homes of those who did not brandish guns, trashed or looted or anything? Did the protesters beat up any residents? Was there really a need to point guns at these protesters to protect their life or property?

Deckard and RayRay10 like this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

Do you have a link to George Floyd raping a woman or attempting to rape a woman?

AroundTheWorld and RayRay10 like this.
  16. KingCheetah

Literally the first time he ever picked that thing up -- amazing trigger discipline though.

RayRay10 likes this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

It isn't a "B.S. answer"..... it is an honest answer. I don't think anyone is saying it is good. The reality is when you have a serious income disparity there are consequences...... filling up prisons and arming police forces with military style weapons only works for so long.

If we continue down this same path it is only a matter of time.

Invisible Fan, B-Bob and RayRay10 like this.
  18. KingCheetah

K*ren has some meaty man-hands and extremely poor trigger discipline.

B-Bob and RayRay10 like this.
  19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I don't think you quite understand the point.

Nook and RayRay10 like this.
  20. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Yall are giving StL too much credit. It is worse than chicago in many murder metrics. They did look like dorks but StL can be quite dangerous.