1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Off-season 2020

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Nimo

Nimo Member

Too bad he wont play against them for another couple seasons. Assuming he stays with Seattle. Dude had some really good plays in his one year in Houston. Wish him the best.

Red.Glare and coachbadlee like this.
  2. YOLO

YOLO Member

That 2nd preseason game has been circled ;)

3. Fantasma Negro

No, no he's not.

4. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

So Hyde turned down 2 years around 10 million from the Texans and can now get up to 4 million for one year deal. Good job overvaluing yourself. I partially blame his ego for why we have David Johnson now. If Hyde took the offer from the Texans maybe we get a different/better return from the Hopkins trade.

5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Carlos Hayde has no effect on how stupid Bill Obrien is

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Both sides overvalued him evidently.

8. Nimo

Nimo Member

I found it hard to believe the report about the offer made to Carlos Hyde. This makes me even more skeptical. I might be wrong here but it doesn't add up; except he just really didn't want to play for the Texans anymore. But Bill O'Brien targeting and valuing David Johnson more makes more sense. Even if the offer was made and refused, Texans still could have gotten what they wanted from the Cardinals and went after a RB in the draft. Imagine just getting a 1st from the Cardinals instead of a 2nd and David Johnson. They would still have their 2nd rounder to use for Brandin Cooks but now they would have a 1st to get a more impactful player. Some names that were available at Arizona's 1st round selection: Ceedee Lamb, CJ Henderson, Henry Ruggs, Javon Kinlaw, and Xavier McKinney. Or they could have traded down and got a 2021 draft pick in return since they don't have a 1st or a 2nd. So many possibilities.

Nook and conquistador#11 like this.
  9. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

The Cards were never offering a 1st. You guys think O’Brien is an idiot, but he is not. Teams didn’t offer a 1st once they heard Hopkins contract demands. Multiple teams dropped out after that. Teams did not want to pay a WR $20 million+. There was a reason he was on the block so long (since last season).

Uprising and raining threes like this.
  10. Fantasma Negro

What does that have to do with his legs? He ran like he had a groin injury last season

11. Nimo

Nimo Member

If it was just the Hopkins deal I would give it to you. But it's been deal after deal where he has overpaid or had gotten less back in return. After making excuse after excuse at some point you have to get tired of it, right? And nothing said they had to trade Hopkins. They could have stood their ground. The ball was totally in their court. And how come we didnt hear about the contract demands until AFTER the trade demands? Who said all these teams knew about these and not once did it get leaked. Teams trade for players without insisting on contract requests by the player. After all they just traded for their LT without considering contract demands.

12. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

AGAIN, I'm talking about Hopkins. There was never a 1st offerd, with or without David Johnson. Um...they knew what Tunsil was going to cost. Texans thought it was worth it. Tunsil was NEVER going to sign an extension before the CBA....he said as much. I guess the Rams were DUMB to trade for Jalen Ramsey without an extension? You guy NEVER seem to mention that trade. You trade for those players to get some control and worry about the contract later.

13. showa13

showa13 Member

The Rams were dumb to make that move too.

Nimo likes this.
  14. Nimo

Nimo Member

You are making assumptions that a 1st would never have been offered. If this was the 1st time, I would grant them the benefit of the doubt. But at this point I cant. It is very possible they just needed to negotiate longer or better.

And I never called the Tunsil trade dumb. I just gave an example of trading for a player without insisting on getting the players. I wouldn't call Ramsey's trade dumb either. But I'm sure you can see the difference between the Hopkins trade and those two trades. I will say it anyway, they both went for 2 1st round picks. Even with their impending contract situation. Makes Hopkins trade look even worse.

15. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

17. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

It was the same for Clowney. No one offered a 1st or 2nd rounder. Y'all saying "O'Brien just sucks, waited to long". No, as you see now, the league was not High on Clowney and his eventually $20 million a year demand. Hence, he is unsigned.

Hopkins demand was know by teams (either by Hopkins' agent or by the Texans). That affected his value. PERIOD. No team was going to trade him, give you a #1, and then pay him $20-$22 million. Not for a WR.

Hopkins trade perception is tinted by DJ's contract. Period. Should they got another pick? I think so.

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. Nimo

Nimo Member

Again, you're saying no one offered a 1st or 2nd rounder. Instead of saying the Texans only got a 3rd rounder. It doesn't matter what is happening with Clowney now because of so many reasons. Teams have spent 1st or 2nd rounders for one year with a player. And the biggest point with Clowney AND Hopkins is they didn't have to do anything. Maybe having Clowney on the line would have helped the Texans win one more game and hosted the divisional playoffs instead of going on the road. With how bad the line played when Watt was injured, it's not too far fetched to imagine that. Maybe things turn out differently and they're in the conference finals. That's why you don't sell too low. If they didn't like the return, they should have just kept him for one more year.

Hopkins demand was known by teams? Says who? No way that information was being fed to the teams and wouldn't get leaked. That doesn't make sense. You know what makes sense? Similar to Clowney's situation, the team didn't want the player anymore and was too eager to get rid of him. And I'm not totally against getting rid of a player who doesn't fit the team. It's annoying but I get it. But let's not act like their hands were forced in any of this.

20. raining threes

No there hands weren't forced on any trade.

But Clowney/Hopkins obviously weren't worth what many here think they were worth. Both were on the block for a long time. Guess what they both had in common?

They both wanted big money and didn't practice. Are you starting to notice a theme of the type of players BOB wants on HIS team?